Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre has been enabled in my exchange, but projected speeds not due to increase?

Options
  • 19-05-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently an eir customer and have 7Mb broadband, which is the most I could get at the time (3 years ago). I'm not sure the last time i tested but I do/did get close to the actual 7Mb.

I see that my exchange has been updated to fibre, but when I go through the process of ordering the "Discover the maximum speed you will achieve in your home" section reveals that the max speed will be 7Mb. I find this strange as I am pretty close to the exchange (maybe 1km or so)

Any reason why the new speeds would be so low? I opened a live chat to ask what is up with this but didn't really get an answer. The lady on the chat mentioned that it would be "un congested" so should be an improvement on my current broadband, but to be honest I haven't had much issue with contention.

My current concerns with upgrading are

a) There doesn't seem to be any major service improvement to upgrading
    b) There is only a small price reduction in upgrading, €4 a month i think, (your red competitors are a decent bit cheaper ....)
    c) 18 month contract

As a side note, the info on the maximum speed should not be hidden in a drop down, especially on desktops. To be honest it's a bit sneaky.. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With eVDSL at 1500m 7Mb is the expected result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ED E wrote: »
    With eVDSL at 1500m 7Mb is the expected result.
    Thanks, do you know should I expect to see any improvement in service? Pings/ upload etc? I'm just wondering what the advantage to upgrading is

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First thing I'd say is be sure it a VDSL prequal not an ADSL one, 7Mb could be either but with VDSL its 7_1 and ADSL its 7_0.5. 

business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ will tell all.

NGA has its improvements but at 7Mb I wouldnt recommend it. If 7Mb ADSL has problems they drop you back to 6 or 5 and get it stable. If 7Mb VDSL has trouble and repairs can't sort it the only option is to cancel to go back to ADSL (with a week or so off the air). Your location says Athlone so if thats your exchange there won't be any benefit to the existing setup like rural exchanges that weren't previously NGN. 

ED E wrote: »
    First thing I'd say is be sure it a VDSL prequal not an ADSL one, 7Mb could be either but with VDSL its 7_1 and ADSL its 7_0.5. 

business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ will tell all.

NGA has its improvements but at 7Mb I wouldnt recommend it. If 7Mb ADSL has problems they drop you back to 6 or 5 and get it stable. If 7Mb VDSL has trouble and repairs can't sort it the only option is to cancel to go back to ADSL (with a week or so off the air). Your location says Athlone so if thats your exchange there won't be any benefit to the existing setup like rural exchanges that weren't previously NGN. 
    Thanks for the responses, I'm not sure what you mean by your first line though. Ballydangan is my local exchange

DSL Enabled:  Yes - 12 MB
    NGB Enabled:  No
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 7 MB
    LLU Enabled: No

Hey Eir guys, 

Maybe I didn't ask a clear enough question in my original post, but what is the advantage to me upgrading from my current service to this new one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hey Eir guys, 

Maybe I didn't ask a clear enough question in my original post, but what is the advantage to me upgrading from my current service to this new one?
    Hi witnessmenow,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Can you PM me your account number so I can test the line on your account. I would like to make sure this result is accurate and then I would be more than happy to go through this with you. :)

-Pamela 

Advertisement