Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sold to the council in the last couple of years?

Options
  • 19-05-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi All,

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo have recently made an offer on a house i'm selling - it's 25K under the asking price though and I really can't afford to sell for what they've offered

I know the councils were broke a few years ago but have things improved in the last couple of years ?? Has anyone got market value or close to it from a council or local authority

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We just sold to Wicklow co co and they came in with an offer 2k above. Granted all councils are different and have different budgets.
    Don't want to sound rude but is your house priced realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

hairyslug wrote: »
    We just sold to Wicklow co co and they came in with an offer 2k above. Granted all councils are different and have different budgets.
    Don't want to sound rude but is your house priced realistically.

Well according to the estate agent, it is. And there's another house like ours in their same estate and its priced at 10k more than ours. If you don't mind me asking, did they come in with a lower offer initially??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Recently sold to Fingal CC for 2% over asking. Was very happy as was wrapped up quickly and is pretty much a guaranteed sale as they are not going to change their mind, find somewhere else, not be able to get a mortgage etc. Might have got a couple thousand more if went with a private buyer however didn't think it was worth it for reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Well according to the estate agent, it is. And there's another house like ours in their same estate and its priced at 10k more than ours. If you don't mind me asking, did they come in with a lower offer initially??

It was their first offer, 2 days after a buyer pulled out.
    Have you compared your price to what has sold on the PPR

The house is in an old settled estate so houses don't come on the market too often. The last house sold there was in 2013 and it went for about €20k less than our asking price. But its one of the least expensive properties in the area !!

I've told he estate agent to reject the offer so hopefully I they'll come back with a higher offer - if the came back with the asking price I'd snap their hand off but it might be being a little too optimistic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I know someone who tried to sell to DCC. They offered a ridiculously low price.

If you think you can get more. Hold out and try to sell it to a higher bidder

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dotsy04

TRS30 wrote: »
    Recently sold to Fingal CC for 2% over asking. Was very happy as was wrapped up quickly and is pretty much a guaranteed sale as they are not going to change their mind, find somewhere else, not be able to get a mortgage etc. Might have got a couple thousand more if went with a private buyer however didn't think it was worth it for reasons above.

Hi, do you mind me asking how long it took to complete purchase? We accepted an offer from FCC in mid-March, contracts issued to them very quickly as we had a previous sale that had fallen through so all information/title deeds were with solicitor. The contracts have now been with FCC's legal dept 6 weeks and no idea when we might expect them to be signed and a closing date set. Just wondered what your experience was? Many thanks

Dotsy04 wrote: »
    Hi, do you mind me asking how long it took to complete purchase? We accepted an offer from FCC in mid-March, contracts issued to them very quickly as we had a previous sale that had fallen through so all information/title deeds were with solicitor. The contracts have now been with FCC's legal dept 6 weeks and no idea when we might expect them to be signed and a closing date set. Just wondered what your experience was? Many thanks

Contracts are with them at the minute, only been about 2 weeks so far. We haven't found anywhere to buy yet so not pushing things.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Contracts are with them at the minute, only been about 2 weeks so far. We haven't found anywhere to buy yet so not pushing things.

Just a heads up that they requested tax clearance certificate from us a few weeks after contracts were issued and our solicitor had to get one too. Easy to do online but might be handy to tick it off list so that you'll have it for when it's requested.

Dotsy04 wrote: »
    Just a heads up that they requested tax clearance certificate from us a few weeks after contracts were issued and our solicitor had to get one too. Easy to do online but might be handy to tick it off list so that you'll have it for when it's requested.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give my solicitor a ring about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would South Dublin CC buy houses too does anyone know?

And what section would I ring to get information. Thanks.

I have an elderly aunt in a nursing home. She needs cash now, the income is receding to pay for care. House is let tenants who need three months notice, so this might be an option.

Any advice/information would be so welcome, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

I have an elderly aunt in a nursing home. She needs cash now, the income is receding to pay for care. House is let tenants who need three months notice, so this might be an option.

Have you looked at the Fair Deal scheme to pay for nursing home costs?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/nhss/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

D_D wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Fair Deal scheme to pay for nursing home costs?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/nhss/

Thanks yes she applied a couple of years ago but got nothing as she has two properties inherited from her late husband.

But now the fees have gone up and she has much more expenses and so on, might give it another shot!

She wants to sell the house though as the work involved with letting the property is just getting too much now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just helped a sibling sell a property to Dublin City Council- for 5% over the original asking.

Councils have a 1.8 billion fund they can draw on to build or purchase properties for social housing (this was since the start of 2015- and they've only drawn down less than 200 million of it thus far).

In our case the agent acting on behalf of the local authority contacted our Estate Agent directly just like any other potential buyer. We didn't approach them.

I went back to dlr coco to see if I could get a bit more out of them but they weren't budging. I'm thinking now that maybe the EA priced it a bit too high !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I went back to dlr coco to see if I could get a bit more out of them but they weren't budging. I'm thinking now that maybe the EA priced it a bit too high !!

Not necessarily- there is SFA available in the Dunlaoighre/Rathdown area- esp. of a reasonable standard with a garden. My little sister sold some time ago- and is a cash buyer in the area- and cannot find a suitable property to bring up a family in.

It depends on what you've priced the property at- of course- and its location- however, there is sweet damn all property on the market in the DLR area at the moment.

I'd advise- don't doubt yourself- or your EA- in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd probably move on and continue with the sale.

It's a county council, I'd fully expect them to lowball and penny pinch left right and centre.

Just as an update...
    Dealing with a sale to a local authority has been frustrating beyond belief. Contracts sent to their legal department in April and still no date for closing. Ridiculous delays on their part and should have pulled out of the sale a couple of months ago but we were in a hurry to get sale over the line. Ironic given that we'll be lucky to close in October at this stage! It's no wonder local authorities are failing to spend their annual housing allowances given the speed at which they operate. So, anyone considering selling my opinion would be to avoid county councils like the plague!!

Advertisement