Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever criticised your food?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Mrs Billy asked me to critique her food once when she made a spag bol. I told her that it was very nice, but carrots had no place in a Bolognese sauce.

Roll forward 15-odd years - there are still carrots in her spag bol. I still eat it.

I thought spag bol always traditionally involved a soffritto? I always sweat onions, celery and carrots for it anyway and most recipes seem include all three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Gentle critques from him indoors, "I would have put salt in that" (Me, internally: GOOD JESUS THERE WAS A LOT OF SALT AND ALSO A STOCK POT IN THAT, HOW MUCH SALT ARE YOU PUTTING IN OUR FOOD?!?!?!) or "That was nice but I would have put less [x] in it". Normally when it's a herb that he doesn't love. I dunno how I'd deal with actual criticism. Tears and a drama llama vow never to cook again, I think. He's gotten it from both, waffling, polite, barrels from me w/regard to some of his native delicacies. 'Oh, that's delicious, mmmm, just a little soft for me I think, especially with the white sauce and mash. Yummy though! Just too soft..' (tinned fish balls) so I can't get too annoyed with criticism coming my way.

My family don't criticise food made for them. They just eat a tiny portion and are very, very enthused about what an 'unusual dish it is, so unusual' and I know from that not to make it again :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love when my husband critiques my cooking. He always says there's only one dish I cooked that he didn't like, as it wasn't to his taste, but I'll always ask what he thinks. He's never overly complimentary unless he really likes something, so I appreciate his honesty!

There was the time when he took a mouthful of a sauce on something, which he expected to be more like hollandaise, but was actually homemade aioli and he exclaimed "urgh, that's horrible! :mad:"

:pac: Luckily I'm not easily offended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

yes, when in fee - paying secondary school, for eating rashers as a main diet (out of it 20 years+ now don't go to re-unions etc)
    no did'nt change my eating habits.

i criticized a so called 'mature student' for excess diet of chocolate and candy, in college in third year, utterly disgusting. did'nt change phase him a bit. He also missed a lot of lectures due to this treatment of himself.
    Had to tolerate him at a graduation ceremony - I did not want to go - saw him once more 3 years later in Dublin and never again since. I don't bother googling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a thick skin, I cooked commercially so can take most anything people will give feedback on.
    That said, I am my own harshest critic.
    I'd much prefer people to give me feedback than suffer in silence eating something which they don't like.
    Most of our circle of friends are pretty good cooks though and its rare to encounter something I don't like eating especially when I am hungry.
    If you make a variety of dishes it helps, if its just one and a person doesn't like it it doesn't give them many options apart from dessert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement