Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib refused mortgage.

• 19-05-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

My wife, two kids and myself have been renting for 9 years at a cost of €65,000

I went to Aib on Wens to look for a small mortgage (€100,000 ). The banker took all my details and said I could get a loan of €120,000.
    She gave me all the paperwork to fill out at home.
    Before I left I asked her what is the success rate for people in my position.
    I make 39k per year and my wife is a stay at home mother.
    The banker said I have a really really good chance of getting the loan. So off I went happy out.
    Then today when I was in work she rang and said I can't get the loan as the bank doesn't believe I can support my family and pay the mortgage.
    We have been renting from between €650 and €700 for 9 years.
    The loan I requested was €666 per month for 15 years. Which is very doable as we have been doing just that for 9 years. She also said because we have two kids the bank can't grant the loan.
    I've been with this bank for 20years.
    Any advice on which road we can travel now ?

I really don't know what to do and it's making me feel very low.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Sad to hear. Try other mortage providers. Not much else left to do than that.
    It would perhaps help if your wife returns to work at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You can appeal the decision. When appealing you should put together a business case showing what you can afford based on the mortgage.

The only thing to think about is the bank will stress test your finances by seeing if you can afford a certain percentage interest rate hike say 1% which could equate to €100 a month.

On top of that you would be expected to pay life and home insurance which will also be €100 a month.

Property tax circa €20 a month.

Water/electricity/gas roughly €120 a month.

Internet/TV/TV licence etc €60 a month.

Also your dependants will have a fixed deduction of your disposable income.

Your disposable income will be worked out at roughly a % of your overall income. The mortgage repayment can not exceed a certain % of your disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

Bummer! They calculate that if your kids go to college in future it will drain a lot more of your disposable income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I can't see how you wouldn't have got it. Was she saying no to 120000 or 100000? Did she offer additional years like 20 years rather than 15?

Try Ulster Bank. We didn't get a mortgage from them because we were offered slightly more from AIB but Ulster Bank were offering us a loan too.

A friend of mine was looking to get a mortgage (not first) a while ago with AIB and he was delayed a few times. Every time he went in and they put his info in the system, they seem to offer significantly different amounts based on their ever changing criteria. You probably have a place picked that you need to get moving on but if not, try with them again in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tirnanog79

Olishi4 wrote: »
    I can't see how you wouldn't have got it. Was she saying no to 120000 or 100000? Did she offer additional years like 20 years rather than 15?

Try Ulster Bank. We didn't get a mortgage from them because we were offered slightly more from AIB but Ulster Bank were offering us a loan too.

A friend of mine was looking to get a mortgage (not first) a while ago with AIB and he was delayed a few times. Every time he went in and they put his info in the system, they seem to offer significantly different amounts based on their ever changing criteria. You probably have a place picked that you need to get moving on but if not, try with them again in a couple of months.

I asked for 100k for 15 years but she put me down for 220k over 25 years saying they will refuse that and give me 120k no problem.

• Advertisement

Tirnanog79 wrote: »
    I asked for 100k for 15 years but she put me down for 220k over 25 years saying they will refuse that and give me 120k no problem.

That sounds really strange compared to my experience tbh.

Maybe arrange a meeting with her to explain it further. 100000 over 15 or even if possible pushed to 25 years sounds like a no brainer. I don't get why she is even bringing the 220k into it or the 120k when you only want 100k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the LTV here, is the house 120k and your putting in 20k and borrowing the 100k?
    Stretching it out might be a good idea as it'll be less pressure, you can always overpay it and clear it down in 15years.

What's the LTV here, is the house 120k and your putting in 20k and borrowing the 100k?
    Stretching it out might be a good idea as it'll be less pressure, you can always overpay it and clear it down in 15years.

She said they will give me 110k and I have to give 10k up front. She said I had a very good chance of getting it. But now she said she will write me a refusal letter to give to the council so I can try to get a council house but my wife and me want our own house.
    You have to excuse me but what is LTV. I'm all new to this mortgage carry on and I don't know much about the lingo used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'd say it'd be worth going to a broker. We found them great for knowing exactly what we should get and how to apply properly, what info to give the bank etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Sorry to hear your predicament. Banks are tight these days. Try a broker they will take the case to a number of lenders for you. I got a 200k mortgage on about same income as you in 2010. No kids though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's the mortgage amount owed versus the value of the property.

Lets' say the house your buying is 200k, You put in 100k and the bank puts in 100k, your loan to value is then 50%.
    The risk to the bank is lowered the lower the LTV. You also get a different interest rate based on the LTV

You can see the rates here for AIB http://personal.aib.ie/our-products/mortgages/mortgage-interest-rates

bmwguy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your predicament. Banks are tight these days. Try a broker they will take the case to a number of lenders for you. I got a 200k mortgage on about same income as you in 2010. No kids though

How much roughly would a broker cost ?
    My wages will go up year after year with the company I'm with but she said that didn't matter.
    Seems like such a big hill ahead trying to get a small simple house. I never went crazy during the boom. Just tipped away working and with family life I had no time to get a mortgage and I'm a bit disgusted with myself I didn't go about it sooner.
    I've spent €65000 in rent in 9 years which is over half of what I want which now seems all wasted.

Just feeling sorry for myself at the minute.
    At least we have our health :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Brokers don't usually charge (in my experience anyway), it's free for you and then if they get you a mortgage they'd get a commission or fee from the bank for referring you to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's six other lenders to try first of all!

Did she seriously put you down for more than you wanted? Why did you allow it?

Did she seriously put you down for more than you wanted? Why did you allow it?

She told me that's the way it works.
    I asked for 100k @ 15 years and she advised me to ask for 220k @ 25 years.
    She said if I look for more il get what I want. I have no experience in all this and took her advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

She must have gotten out of a time machine and thought it was 2005. Why would you even as a bank employee try that? Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Just throwing out the question here but will the fact that he was refused this mortgage tell against OP? Will there be a question on the next form asking "were you ever turned down for a mortgage by another lending institution?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Am I reading this correctly? The banker put your application in for 220k when you're making 39k per annum?

The lending rules are 3.5 times your income, therefore the maximum mortgage you can get without an exception is well below 220k?

Am I reading this correctly? The banker put your application in for 220k when you're making 39k per annum?

The lending rules are 3.5 times your income, therefore the maximum mortgage you can get without an exception is well below 220k?

She said she would put it down for 220k.
    Then rang me up and said I would have to earn 3.5k a month to cover mortgage and living expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Don't feel too bad. I was also refused a top up on my existing mortgage with AIB about 5 months ago. No other bills other than 1k in credit card, 11k owing on existing mortgage and a 15k topup giving a total debt of 27k. Salery cert of 40k submitted. Have 3 kids under 18.

Wife is currently out sick with a serious illness so we were refused cos she had no payslips for the period when we applied. Both of us are permanent pensionable so go figure. Calculation system is a disgrace. All leaned towards double income couples with no kids.

I'm surprised you weren't laughed out the door when you applied first. AIB is a joke of a bank. Feigning concern in their refusal while trying to sell a personal loan for the same amount. Topup was at 3.25% while the personal loan was 9.9%

Sorry to hijack the thread but it's laughable that someone with debts of 11k with a perfect credit history could be refused a 15k remortgage

Best of luck

Sorry to hear about your wife.
    At the end of the day we are lucky to live til 75 hopefully. And I know money is a silly thing to worry about in this short life of ours but sometimes I get real sick of money,banks,mortgages etc.

I just want to spend my hard earned money on "our" own house and not someone else's. I have the means to pay off 120k but just need a little break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sorry to hear about your wife.
    At the end of the day we are lucky to live til 75 hopefully. And I know money is a silly thing to worry about in this short life of ours but sometimes I get real sick of money,banks,mortgages etc.

I just want to spend my hard earned money on "our" own house and not someone else's. I have the means to pay off 120k but just need a little break.

But when you are getting a mortgage on 'your house'. You will have to pay for things you dont currently pay for eg LPT, maintenance of the property, furnishings, insurance. You can pay the mortgage, as it is the same price as rent. But realistically having a mortgage will be about €850 a month minimum when you factor in all your additional financial costs that come with owning a home rather than renting it. I imagine the bank factored these additional costs into your mortgage. It will be even more expensive when the ECB hikes rates in a few years.

Go to a broker who is seeing who is giving out credit. I phoned a broker a few years back who immediately told me what banks were actually open for business. A broker will know how to fill out a mortgage application form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Something isn't right here.

The max she should have requested is €139,000 (3.5 times income)
    Your minimum deposit would have been €34,000 (80% LTV)
    These are the new rules, she can apply for an exception but it would be very unlikely you would get one due to your circumstances.

On a €100,000 loan you would still require €25,000 deposit based on the new banking rules unless she got you an exception.

What's your monthly take home?
    Seems to me that it should be approx €2100 of which say €1500 is classed as disposable.

Knock say 20% off for the kids leaves you with €1200

Your mortgage repayments can't exceed 35% of this figure, €670 is a little over half.

That's probably where you're getting caught.

My advise here would be to go to a mortgage broker and request him to get you some for of AIP. It's likely KBC or the permo will lend to you. KBC has a better variable rate at the moment than AIB anyway so your repayments would be less.

Out of curiosity what age are you, to get around the % of disposable income you should borrow for the max term you can on a variable rate and then just dump your spare cash into the mortgage.

So say your repayments are €450, you just transfer an extra €250 every month into your mortgage and it will be repaid earlier than the actual loan term and there won't be any penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

My best advice would be to go to a broker, I had trouble with aib when I was applying for a mortgage and went to a broker, ended up getting the mortgage through haven (same underwriter as AIB). What part of the country are you in? Someone might be able to advise of a good broker

I just turned 37 and I'm from West Cork. I make 39.5k per annum which isn't including a bonus of 1k to 2k per annum.
    Thanks to all for the advice by the way.

I'll try to act on it as best I can.

Something isn't right here.

The max she should have requested is €139,000 (3.5 times income)
    Your minimum deposit would have been €34,000 (80% LTV)
    These are the new rules, she can apply for an exception but it would be very unlikely you would get one due to your circumstances.

On a €100,000 loan you would still require €25,000 deposit based on the new banking rules unless she got you an exception.

What's your monthly take home?
    Seems to me that it should be approx €2100 of which say €1500 is classed as disposable.

Knock say 20% off for the kids leaves you with €1200

Your mortgage repayments can't exceed 35% of this figure, €670 is a little over half.

That's probably where you're getting caught.

My advise here would be to go to a mortgage broker and request him to get you some for of AIP. It's likely KBC or the permo will lend to you. KBC has a better variable rate at the moment than AIB anyway so your repayments would be less.

Out of curiosity what age are you, to get around the % of disposable income you should borrow for the max term you can on a variable rate and then just dump your spare cash into the mortgage.

So say your repayments are €450, you just transfer an extra €250 every month into your mortgage and it will be repaid earlier than the actual loan term and there won't be any penalties

Ye it sounds like you might just not scrape it with those figures but should if you could get 25 or 30 year mortgage. At 39000, two children and stay at home wife, I'd say take home is a bit more than 2100.

Afaik two banks dont deal with brokers. I think its Ulster Bank so try Ulster Bank yourself as well even if you go to a broker.

When we went into them, they took our information but also did a questionaire about expenses essential and non essential. It's important that you have listed all your expenses and that this ties in with the mortgage so your not going over your monthly outgoings so work this out before going into them.

So don't over estimate things like entertainment, clothes shopping etc. Best to keeps those things low so that it shows that with the mortgage and expenses that you can still save, even if that's only a small amount like 20 or 50 euro. You can cut down on some of them if it means getting your house anyway. Do they include childrens allowance cause that's another 260 towards your monthly income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭wonga77

Me and my oh built a house over the course of a few years. As I was in the building trade for long enough I was able to do the most of it myself keeping costs down. We are also in a lucky position where we were able to build the most of it using savings. Anyway to cut a long story short we overshot the budget and coming towards the end of the build realised we would need another 20k for furnishing. Went to the BOI, who I have used all my life, where we both had savings accounts (used to build the house) so we figured that was proof enough that we were capable of meeting any requirements.
    Like you op we were advised to go for more so we went for 30k. Now at the time we were both in part time employment but still making around the 20k or so per year. As we have 2 small kids it made more sense to be part time and take care of the kids then both be full time pay for creche etc. We were shot down for that pitiful amount on the basis that we couldnt afford to keep ourselves and our 2 kids and maintain a payment to the bank. I was fuming, it wasnt like I was looking for 300k
    We went to the credit union instead and took out 20k over 5 years which is their max amount for the max time (or was 2 years ago anyway) finished the house and have the loan almost repaid already.

My aunt was in a similar position to you last year, her and the husband went to a broker and they got their loan, but only after jumping through alot of hoops and it took a long while, its still probably your best bet though

Thanks for the advice Wonga.
    All I need is 100k for a site and log house.
    the site is 20k and log house is 80k.

My brother gifted me an acre of land he had since the boom time but it's in a location far from where we presently live and far from work. I'm going to get it valued as agricultural land or try to get planning on it and sell it.
    Hopefully whatever I make from it will go to a deposit. A broker has been mentioned many times so I believe that's my next step in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Were you looking for a self-build mortgage?

Advertisement