Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Value Dog Blaster

• 19-05-2016 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi, I had a search on this but everything that came up was from way back.
    I'm looking to buy a dog blaster and would appreciate any information on what's out there.
    While I don't want to spend any more than I have to I don't want to buy something cheap that doesn't do the job properly.
    It's for my own personal use not a business and the dog is a retriever.
    All opinions welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I got the one that TK123 recommends in several threads that will have come up in your search, the Aeolus Variable-Speed blaster. I use it on my long-coated GSD. It's the bizz... you can blast with warmish air as well as cold, and the variable speed means you can start off low (so as not to unduly frighten the dog), and gradually turn it up as the dog acclimatises to it. Wholeheartedly recommend it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind if I ask where you bought it.

I *think* it was on amazon? It was around the €110+ mark. That's about 3-4 years ago I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I bought this blaster off Amazon over 3 years ago and still good as new, really happy with it, has 2 heat settings and 2 speeds. It might sound silly but I bought the yellow one as it works out cheaper since it's a more obnoxious colour therefore more likely to be less popular. :p

If you do get a blaster, make sure you use it in a room that doesn't have many things you can knock over, because these things are STRONG and will knock anything and everything over if you point it in that direction. Also, if you have a particularly hairy dog don't be surprised to find walls and doors covered in soggy strands of hair, ideally you want to do it in a room where you have no problem wiping down the surfaces afterwards.

Many dogs don't like the noise of a blaster, if you find your dog gets freaked out when the blaster goes near them, put cotton wool balls in their ears (make sure they are size appropriate for the dog!) my boys relax a lot more with the cotton in their ears.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I've got the same one as VonVix - working fine a year later and used on 5 spaniels who swim every day so it gets a fair amount of abuse

• Advertisement

That's a good point VonVix makes... Hair... Everywhere!
    I only use the blaster outside for this reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

As someone who knows nothing about dog grooming and has only owned long-haired dogs I had no idea what a dog blaster was and when I saw the thread title I imagined something entirely different.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Great info, no worries on the hair front I have a shed where I groom her. Wouldn't be crossing Mrs Amstel with a blaster in the house much as she loves the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mine is still going strong. I tend to blast in the shed though because the hair goes over the fence - I've visions of it floating onto next door's dinner lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JustShon wrote: »
    As someone who knows nothing about dog grooming and has only owned long-haired dogs I had no idea what a dog blaster was and when I saw the thread title I imagined something entirely different.
    Me neither! I had visions of the thread being closed for suggesting animal cruelty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

JustShon wrote: »
    Alun wrote: »
    Me neither! I had visions of the thread being closed for suggesting animal cruelty :)

I was strapping on my indignation holster too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Sure bath time is cruelty in a dog's eyes. :P

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I blast mine in the dog room/laundry - it's kitted out as a wet room so easy clean. Blaster, raw feed/salmon oil and Haas horse grooming brushes give me super shiny spaniels who often get comments on their fabulous coats....they also work and have gone as far as crufts showing!

Great information lads cheers. As we seem to have ambled on to grooming what tools would be best for keeping a retrievers shedding at bay.
    I got a slicker brush and he absolutely hates it. Would a rake be good for loose undercoat and if so could anyone recommend one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have two retrievers. A double rake works great on one of them but hardly does anything to the other - it really depends on the type of coat they have. I find a standard pin brush works great on both of them. Avoid furminators because they can cut the coat if you're not careful.

I use a Mars coat king to take out heavy under coat, a fine tooth comb for leg feathers/ears and a two Haas bristle brushes (meant for horses!) to smooth/remove dust and dead hair. Mine hate slickers too.

ETA: I buy from a place up north called Christies because the delivery isn't mad like some sites can be.

tk123 wrote:
    I have two retrievers. A double rake works great on one of them but hardly does anything to the other - it really depends on the type of coat they have. I find a standard pin brush works great on both of them. Avoid furminators because they can cut the coat if you're not careful.

I have a pin brush he's not fond of that either and it doesn't do much anyhow. Would there be any chance you could put up a link to the double rake you use.

Advertisement