Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For sale/wanted (cars/parts/etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... but a 6.6 Kw 30 Kwh can be got too I'd say probably easier in the U.K which will be handy when a charger is down.

The 30kWh is in short supply. The 6.6kW version is in even shorter supply. They do come up but not very often and with a premium which creedp is already "complaining" about, so I think if he really wants to go EV it should be a 30kWh with 3.3kW charging rather than a 24kWh with 6.6kW charging.

Bear in mind he wants to do 130km jaunts.... the 6.6kW charging is no use to him there in a 24kWh car... what he needs is the 30kWh battery not the faster AC charging.... @creedp, I hope you understand the difference there? The 3.3 vs 6.6 debate only relates to AC charging, not rapid charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Speaking of personal experience with both battery versions and both slow charging versions - stretch yourself as much as you can to get a 30kwh and 6.6kw. This will give you much more freedom and less dependency on the charging infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭creedp

KCross wrote: »
    The 30kWh is in short supply. The 6.6kW version is in even shorter supply. They do come up but not very often and with a premium which creedp is already "complaining" about, so I think if he really wants to go EV it should be a 30kWh with 3.3kW charging rather than a 24kWh with 6.6kW charging.

Bear in mind he wants to do 130km jaunts.... the 6.6kW charging is no use to him there in a 24kWh car... what he needs is the 30kWh battery not the faster AC charging.... @creedp, I hope you understand the difference there? The 3.3 vs 6.6 debate only relates to AC charging, not rapid charging!

Thanks for advice (also MadLad and Peposhi). Obviously would love both 30kwh and 6.6kw charger and Techna spec but when operating to budget limits I think I will focus on 30kwh battery as priority. If I could do 130km on single charge then most of my charging would be done overnight at home topped up by fast chargers so hopefully not having the 6.6kw charger wouldn't be a major downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,464 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€20k is far too much to be spending on a 30kWh Leaf though. Even if it was brand new. Import it yourself from the UK to save thousands or you won't regret importing an Ioniq instead. They come up regularly for under £20k in the UK but are snapped up quickly for obvious reasons. You need to focus to do well in this game :)

unkel wrote: »
    €20k is far too much to be spending on a 30kWh Leaf though. Even if it was brand new. Import it yourself from the UK to save thousands or you won't regret importing an Ioniq instead. They come up regularly for under £20k in the UK but are snapped up quickly for obvious reasons. You need to focus to do well in this game :)

I know its easy to get carried away in this game. I started off with a stg£13k limit and very quickly began trying to justify up to stg£16k for a 30kwh, 6.6kw acenta spec or a 30kwh, 3.3kw Techna spec. Need to step back and breathe!!

• Advertisement

Had a quick look at Ioniq on autotrader UK. No EV's for sale but the hybrids aren't too badly priced with a 2016 going for under £14k. Quoted at 83 mpg average. You could forget about the range anxiety!!

Watch at the Bjørn Nyland reviews of Ioniq on youtube. He explains there is the hybrid, the PHEV and the EV. And then go with his recommendation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Time for this thread to get back to actual bargains to buy?

It's turned into a general discussion thread of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-6-9-finance-electric-vehicle-sat/18032789
    This is currently the only BEV Ioniq for sale in Ireland apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

ELM327 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-6-9-finance-electric-vehicle-sat/18032789
    This is currently the only BEV Ioniq for sale in Ireland apparently.

At €29k I think it would be hard to argue against putting a few more quid in and getting a Model S instead.

• Advertisement

Problem with that is there's no CPO Model S for below £55-60k these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

creedp wrote: »
    I know its easy to get carried away in this game. I started off with a stg£13k limit and very quickly began trying to justify up to stg£16k for a 30kwh, 6.6kw acenta spec or a 30kwh, 3.3kw Techna spec. Need to step back and breathe!!

And that is the right thing to do.
    When we were looking for a second EV the budget was 12k. As we were checking this and that and next and etc, all of a sudden I nearly ended up with an i3 Rex for 20k (which I would have loved to)... Had to stop the horses and think with my wallet not my heart 😀 and eventually bought what suited the budget and the range that needed to be covered (and she is flaming red for the joy of my other half)....

NIMAN wrote: »
    Time for this thread to get back to actual bargains to buy?

Except that this thread isn't the bargains thread :p

If I could do 130km on single charge then most of my charging would be done overnight at home topped up by fast chargers so hopefully not having the 6.6kw charger wouldn't be a major downside.

Just make sure you won't be relying on fast chargers for your commute, that will get old fast, I endured this for 9 months and I'd never do it again.

Just make sure you won't be relying on fast chargers for your commute, that will get old fast, I endured this for 9 months and I'd never do it again.

The problem I have is that if the 30kwh Leaf didn't have sufficient range to cover my commute on a single charge, I have no access the ac charging at work and therefore irrespective of whether I have a 3.3kw or 6.6kw charger, I would still be reliant on the fast charger network for a top up to get me home.

Obviously having the 6.6kw charger would still be an advantage if I wanted a quick top up at home before heading out again but at present I would have to pay a significant premium to get both a 30kwh and 6.6kw charger which takes those cars beyond my budget.

Am I understanding this issue correctly?

What is your commute?

The problem I have is that if the 30kwh Leaf didn't have sufficient range to cover my commute on a single charge, I have no access the ac charging at work and therefore irrespective of whether I have a 3.3kw or 6.6kw charger, I would still be reliant on the fast charger network for a top up to get me home.

Obviously having the 6.6kw charger would still be an advantage if I wanted a quick top up at home before heading out again but at present I would have to pay a significant premium to get both a 30kwh and 6.6kw charger which takes those cars beyond my budget.

Am I understanding this issue correctly?

Your commute is 130km, correct?
    The 30kWh will do that without stopping.

The 6.6kW is for AC only. The rapid chargers you use on the road are DC(45kW).

KCross wrote: »
    Your commute is 130km, correct?
    The 30kWh will do that without stopping.

The 6.6kW is for AC only. The rapid chargers you use on the road are DC(45kW).

Thankfully that's how I understood it too .. I'm slowly learning the EV ropes. On that basis I'm reluctant to pay more than stg£500 extra for the 6.6kw option - I think its approx. an stg£800 optional cost when new. some of the cars I have seem have up to a stg£2k premium for the option on otherwise like for like cars. I suppose supply and demand is what its all about!

No, you won't pay a premium to have the 6.6 Kw charger in a 2nd hand Leaf, it's doesn't add resale value only desirability because they're rare meaning they will sell a lot faster.

130 Km will be no problem in the 30 Kwh and it would be seriously wise to get this over the 24 Kwh believe me, I had to endure public charging for 9 months and it was a complete and utter pain in the arse.

I advise to drive the 30 Kewh V 24 Kwh on your commute to see how you get on , this time of the year is ideal because Summer driving in an EV can be very deceptive, those making the commute with say 20% to spare could find themselves needing to fast charge on the way home in Winter in poor conditions.

Thankfully that's how I understood it too .. I'm slowly learning the EV ropes. On that basis I'm reluctant to pay more than stg£500 extra for the 6.6kw option - I think its approx. an stg£800 optional cost when new. some of the cars I have seem have up to a stg£2k premium for the option on otherwise like for like cars. I suppose supply and demand is what its all about!

In the UK it was £1150 extra when new.

£2k premium for it would be way too much.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if people would have a view on what level of mileage would be considered a deal breaker on an EV? A lot of UK cars seem to have done between 6 - 10k mile annually while the odd one is up on 20k miles. Would this level of mileage be a cause for concern, e.g if an early 2016 had over 40k miles clocked up?

Just wondering if people would have a view on what level of mileage would be considered a deal breaker on an EV? A lot of UK cars seem to have done between 6 - 10k mile annually while the odd one is up on 20k miles. Would this level of mileage be a cause for concern, e.g if an early 2016 had over 40k miles clocked up?

You just need to pay more attention to suspension and brakes if the mileage is high and other general condition (seats etc).... but as far as reliability is concerned the higher mileage wont matter as much as it would in an ICE car where you'd have to think about things like timing belts and emissions etc.

40k km on an EV is perfectly fine, imo, as long as the car is in good condition and drives well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I have ~160,000km on my i3 and it's grand. I'd consider high mileage less important with an EV than an ICE.
    Very low mileage on the other hand is more problematic.
    You don't want an EV that's potentially been stored at too low or high a state of charge for long periods.

I's say you're using the Rex a lot especially with the older battery ?

What's capacity is it reporting now ? it was something like 18 AH new ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I's say you're using the Rex a lot especially with the older battery ?

Not really. I avoid using the REx.
    What's capacity is it reporting now ? it was something like 18 AH new ?

17.3kWh down from 18.8kWh new.

cros13 wrote: »
    Not really. I avoid using the REx spend half my day at fast charge points.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Mine had 65k/km. felt like new. S.O.H of the battery was 97%. Wouldn't be concerned at all. Check the suspension and the tyres and make sure its been serviced as per schedule and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Btw with prices in the UK not coming down as much anymore its worth looking at Irish cars now.

cros13 wrote: »
    Not really. I avoid using the REx.

17.3kWh down from 18.8kWh new.

Wow that's damn good, probably helped by the active cooling and/or the Samsung cells are good.

I've used about 2 tanks (16 litres) since the 2nd week in November.

here's some interesting facts I just discovered about the 96 AH ( 33 Kwh) i3 battery and I now know why it's limited to 50 Kw on DC which is actually more then the recommended charge current !

https://pushevs.com/2017/02/20/details-samsung-sdi-94-ah-battery-cell/

It's all about cycle life and these cells ,3,200 cycles to 80% is truly amazing and should last many, many years.

For instance that, 510,000 Kms to 80% capacity, 160 Kms range by 3,200 cycles absolutely amazing. Yes I know, it doesn't include time itself etc or time spent at very high or low SOC etc.

But, it also doesn't include shallow cycling or all the driving done that doesn't include a full charge/discharge cycle, yes I know it won't allow a complete charge to 4.2v per cell either or down to 3.2 v etc.

Shame we don't have the data on the 60 ah.

We can continue this in a new thread rather than the usual ot. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106455151#post106455151

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ELM327 wrote: »
    'much?
    And is it the newer battery or the older 30kWh(28kWh available) spec?

It’s 30 kw

152 reg

12900 Km s

Perfect

I reckon around 17 k price

Advertisement