Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for building home NAS

Options
  • 19-05-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi I want to build a home server. I'd like a possibility of having at least 4 hdd bays. But start with just 2. I'd like low power consumption and a processor capable of transcoding and streaming plex on at least 2 tvs.
    If possibly it like to have as small a possible case.

Hope you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Whats your budget?
    I have a synology nas with 6TB in it..it really is the business and I love plex on it..
    An old pc can do the job just as well but starting from a new one you might better off buying a dedicated nas.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Blazer wrote: »
    Whats your budget?
    I have a synology nas with 6TB in it..it really is the business and I love plex on it..
    An old pc can do the job just as well but starting from a new one you might better off buying a dedicated nas.

I don't really have a budget I'd just like to build a nas that can expand as my storage expands. But I'd like to be able to upgrade in the future not to be tied down to a to a nas that can't be upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check out threads by myself and Serephucus, we built based on the DS380 which has 8 bays in the size of medium sized toaster.

Required horsepower will vary depending on what your clients will need. Many TVs will support Direct Play and then there's no transcoding, but if you have 1080 HEVC then the CPU will need to be chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

ED E wrote: »
    Check out threads by myself and Serephucus, we built based on the DS380 which has 8 bays in the size of medium sized toaster.

Required horsepower will vary depending on what your clients will need. Many TVs will support Direct Play and then there's no transcoding, but if you have 1080 HEVC then the CPU will need to be chunky.

Where do I find the thread? What is the name on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I just realised I never actually made a thread for mine, but this is ED E's one. There's a good bit of talk in it about different options and things as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91301407

Note that you don't have to go with the C2750-based board that we did - There are actually quite a few ITX server options out there - I would go with something server-grade though.

a) For ECC support (handy to have)
    b) IPMI. This is a ****ing god-send

• Advertisement
Advertisement