Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MD1990 wrote: »
    Molloy is an important player for Wexford. Aaron McEneff has hit great form looks a very good player.

Yeah when we have Eric Molloy and Rox both fully fit and playing, we're a different animal. Rare to have them both on though.

Furlong's not been at the race at all all year. Really wouldn't mind if he was dropped for the season tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Great coverage of last nights quarter finals and the remaining tie in todays Irish Daily Mail which is probably not surprising considering they are the sponsors!!! I'd ask again where was the marketing of the quarter finals by the organisers, the FAI, other sports organisations, the GAA, Rugby and even Cricket have realised that you need to promote your events to maximise awareness and attendances.
    Dundalk perhaps the best League of Ireland side ever had the privilege of playing in front of just 506 fans in Belfield last night while the crowd in Tallaght at the Rovers - Cork City game looked around 2,000 at best which is very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The FAI have other priorities like fretting about a fan taking a flag into a match that might upset Kim Il-John.

Marketing the domestic game and the likes aren't as important as making sure Dear Leader's all knowing genius isn't questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Great coverage of last nights quarter finals and the remaining tie in todays Irish Daily Mail which is probably not surprising considering they are the sponsors!!! I'd ask again where was the marketing of the quarter finals by the organisers, the FAI, other sports organisations, the GAA, Rugby and even Cricket have realised that you need to promote your events to maximise awareness and attendances.
    Dundalk perhaps the best League of Ireland side ever had the privilege of playing in front of just 506 fans in Belfield last night while the crowd in Tallaght at the Rovers - Cork City game looked around 2,000 at best which is very disappointing.

Did the clubs do much to market their games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible 2nd half from us. Gifted Cobh with two goals. We were decent in the first half and looked comfortable but that 2nd half was just awful. Still at least we are in the semis.

howiya wrote: »
    Did the clubs do much to market their games?

If you look at other Sports the organising body does the main competition marketing, the Dublin County Board does not have to promote the All Ireland Championship, the GAA do it and do a very good job. The FAI seem to do very little to promote or market the Airtricity League or the FAI Cup, two competitions they are responsible for.
    Clubs do the best they can but do not have the resources to promote and market at the level required in terms of National media, be that electronic, digital or print. Cork City have worked hard at local marketing in the City to very good effect.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf8WR1FWEAEXHrg.jpg

If you look at other Sports the organising body does the main competition marketing, the Dublin County Board does not have to promote the All Ireland Championship, the GAA do it and do a very good job. The FAI seem to do very little to promote or market the Airtricity League or the FAI Cup, two competitions they are responsible for.
    Clubs do the best they can but do not have the resources to promote and market at the level required in terms of National media, be that electronic, digital or print. Cork City have worked hard at local marketing in the City to very good effect.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf8WR1FWEAEXHrg.jpg

There's a distinct difference in the way GAA is organised or structured to the way soccer is.

Soccer clubs are individual businesses that are each responsible for their bottom line. They sell more seats, they make more money. Two GAA counties play in Croke Park and the money goes in the pot to be shared amongst all counties

How many people were at Rovers v Cork last night? You said around 2,000. Rovers have 19,500 followers on Twitter. Why can't they convert these followers into customers?

There's a distinct difference in the way GAA is organised or structured to the way soccer is.

Soccer clubs are individual businesses that are each responsible for their bottom line. They sell more seats, they make more money. Two GAA counties play in Croke Park and the money goes in the pot to be shared amongst all counties

How many people were at Rovers v Cork last night? You said around 2,000. Rovers have 19,500 followers on Twitter. Why can't they convert these followers into customers?

Dont disagree with you that the clubs could do more, but still believe its disappointing that the organiser, the FAI, dont seem to have a marketing plan for the FAI Cup or indeed the Airtricity League. The answer is both parties the clubs and the FAI need to do more marketing to grow attendances and interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Individual businesses that don't set the ticket prices for the cup games. It can certainly be argued and debated about how much marketing is done for league games, but for cup games the F.A.I. have more than enough monetary interest in it to should be doing more for it.

Corholio wrote: »
    Individual businesses that don't set the ticket prices for the cup games. It can certainly be argued and debated about how much marketing is done for league games, but for cup games the F.A.I. have more than enough monetary interest in it to should be doing more for it.

What's the split for cup games? Still 40-40-20? If so then the two clubs have more of a monetary interest than the FAI.

I'm not in JD's band of merry men so I don't think the FAI are doing a good job. I just think its time people stopped waiting on them to change their ways. It's not going to happen anytime soon so it's up to the clubs. Time to sh*t or get off the pot

• Advertisement

With my limited experience, most clubs have just enough volunteers to just about keep the show on the road. If you want clubs to do more, start by pitching in yourself.

With my limited experience, most clubs have just enough volunteers to just about keep the show on the road. If you want clubs to do more, start by pitching in yourself.

Should I get my own popcorn when I go to the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

What's the split for cup games? Still 40-40-20? If so then the two clubs have more of a monetary interest than the FAI.

I'm not in JD's band of merry men so I don't think the FAI are doing a good job. I just think its time people stopped waiting on them to change their ways. It's not going to happen anytime soon so it's up to the clubs. Time to sh*t or get off the pot
    your right in a way, the clubs definitely have to do more. but when so many live on the breadline, sinking money & already stretched volunteer time into promotion is another strain on already stretched resources. They certainly do not have the ability to form any national coverage.

Bear in mind also clubs will lose matchday operating costs/travel costs from their % of the gate. The FAI just take the money. combined over all games they do take a decent enough cut to carry out at least some form of promotion

Should I get my own popcorn when I go to the cinema?

Do you just want the existing LOI volunteer base to magically find more hours in the day to turn the LOI product into something brand new with no additional help?

Do you just want the existing LOI volunteer base to magically find more hours in the day to turn the LOI product into something brand new with no additional help?

Care to answer the question before asking me a question?

Care to answer the question before asking me a question?

Not even slightly, because your question was stupid.

Edit: Because obviously, LOI football clubs are depending on something entirely different to a functional business like a cinema. It's relying entirely on goodwill and volunteer work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The clubs can only do so much with marketing given their resources. But its hard to market anyway to a general public that are largely indifferent to the product. Thats not accounting for the people who are downright hostile to it.

Not even slightly, because your question was stupid.

Edit: Because obviously, LOI football clubs are depending on something entirely different to a functional business like a cinema. It's relying entirely on goodwill and volunteer work.

So LOI clubs are dysfunctional businesses then?

I'll answer the question you put to me.

"Do you just want the existing LOI volunteer base to magically find more hours in the day to turn the LOI product into something brand new with no additional help?"

No but I do expect clubs to get the most out of their existing volunteer base and add to this by targeting volunteers with specific skills. How many clubs have hired employees through the JobBridge scheme since it was introduced?

Maybe offer marketing students unpaid internships. Volunteering isn't just about manning the turnstiles and tweeting happy birthday to one of your under 19 squad. I was told on a different thread yesterday that LOI clubs don't go in for PR stunts. Maybe they should? They might increase interest.

Go to Dundalk's website, there's no link to buy tickets for their matches. Other than ticket info for their away game on Thursday there's no information about their home Europa League games. Then people will probably have a bitch and moan when they don't fill Tallaght. I'm not a Dundalk fan btw.

I don't get to go to many games due to work commitments and then you suggest that when I do get to a game I should do a job for the club while I'm there and when I turn my nose up at that I'm being stupid.

But it's all the big bad FAI's fault.

So LOI clubs are dysfunctional businesses then?

I'll answer the question you put to me.

"Do you just want the existing LOI volunteer base to magically find more hours in the day to turn the LOI product into something brand new with no additional help?"

No but I do expect clubs to get the most out of their existing volunteer base and add to this by targeting volunteers with specific skills. How many clubs have hired employees through the JobBridge scheme since it was introduced?

Maybe offer marketing students unpaid internships. Volunteering isn't just about manning the turnstiles and tweeting happy birthday to one of your under 19 squad. I was told on a different thread yesterday that LOI clubs don't go in for PR stunts. Maybe they should? They might increase interest.

Go to Dundalk's website, there's no link to buy tickets for their matches. Other than ticket info for their away game on Thursday there's no information about their home Europa League games. Then people will probably have a bitch and moan when they don't fill Tallaght. I'm not a Dundalk fan btw.

I don't get to go to many games due to work commitments and then you suggest that when I do get to a game I should do a job for the club while I'm there and when I turn my nose up at that I'm being stupid.

But it's all the big bad FAI's fault.

Start the ball rolling with all of the above for your club. Do it from home around your job, we have volunteers from as far away as Limerick who get to about 1 game a year. I'd say that particular guy is one of our most valuable people in the entire club. Gets zero thanks from the public. I work full time and do about 20-30 hours a week for my club, mostly from home. 90% or so from home. I couldn't care less about your excuses. We're not short of people who find excuses but find loads of time to complain online, but shockingly, that's utterly worthless to the league.

I am pretty annoyed at paid FAI employees who do far less than me. I'm also particularly annoyed that there's such little effort to at least support the thousands of hours of volunteer work that keeps the show on the road from those who are paid. Wouldn't fly in 99% of other fields. In my experience so far, they just ignore or at best patronize those who are working hard at this stuff with little expertise.

Target volunteers there tomorrow, start the procedures for job-bridge. Good luck with it. Incidentally, we do have unpaid students too, they're a god send.

• Advertisement

Start the ball rolling with all of the above for your club. Do it from home around your job, we have volunteers from as far away as Limerick who get to about 1 game a year. I'd say that particular guy is one of our most valuable people in the entire club. Gets zero thanks from the public. I work full time and do about 20-30 hours a week for my club, mostly from home. 90% or so from home. I couldn't care less about your excuses. I am pretty annoyed at paid FAI employees who do far less than me.

Target volunteers there tomorrow, start the procedures for job-bridge. Good luck with it. Incidentally, we do have unpaid students too, they're a god send.

Some chip on your shoulder

Yes, absolutely. I hope you understand why.

Edit: I have an absolute grievance with "the greatest fans in the world" here who want to complain online and drink pints on friday and saturday nights and expect volunteers to work even harder than they already do to make Irish football better for them for a huge financial and time loss (as is the current situation for LOI volunteers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Start the ball rolling with all of the above for your club. Do it from home around your job, we have volunteers from as far away as Limerick who get to about 1 game a year. I'd say that particular guy is one of our most valuable people in the entire club. Gets zero thanks from the public. I work full time and do about 20-30 hours a week for my club, mostly from home. 90% or so from home. I couldn't care less about your excuses. We're not short of people who find excuses but find loads of time to complain online, but shockingly, that's utterly worthless to the league.

I am pretty annoyed at paid FAI employees who do far less than me. I'm also particularly annoyed that there's such little effort to at least support the thousands of hours of volunteer work that keeps the show on the road from those who are paid. Wouldn't fly in 99% of other fields. In my experience so far, they just ignore or at best patronize those who are working hard at this stuff with little expertise.

with all due respect, what exactly do you do for 30 hours every week to help your club from your home??? and how exactly would you be able to manage that. Not doubting you (ok I am a bit) but if you care to answer I'd be intrigued

There is one thing being a fan and putting in work but 30 hours a week to run a club for not a shilling, thats crazy, if true..

with all due respect, what exactly do you do for 30 hours every week to help your club from your home??? and how exactly would you be able to manage that. Not doubting you (ok I am a bit) but if you care to answer I'd be intrigued

There is one thing being a fan and putting in work but 30 hours a week to run a club for not a shilling, thats crazy, if true..

Every week there's work to be done on the website and writing pieces for the match day programme and local newspaper. The website is particularly time consuming, a lot more work goes in to it than what seems like a worthwhile return.

Most weeks there's enquiries from the media to deal with, as well as usual social media stuff, making team sheets, requests from the club committee, fan enquiries on social media, press releases, script writing the local radio advertising. Then there's various bits of match day work, playing the live music and live updates either on audio commentary or twitter. A lot of the same stuff I then repeat for the women's squad. I have a very good group of guys who work with me on media stuff, and they put in big hours doing more work on the matchday programme and whatnot. I'd say the biggest time investment is the website.

I completely understand if people think it doesn't look like there so much time going into this stuff, it's all waaay more time consuming than I thought it would be. That's just speaking for myself personally, there's tonnes of other people putting in a lot of volunteer hours in the fundraising and administrative roles.

Yes, absolutely. I hope you understand why.

Edit: I have an absolute grievance with "the greatest fans in the world" here who want to complain online and drink pints on friday and saturday nights and expect volunteers to work even harder than they already do to make Irish football better for them for a huge financial and time loss (as is the current situation for LOI volunteers).

I wouldnt bother with him. Think he's a bit miffed that people were criticising his precious Celtic on After Hours and he came to this thread to lash out.

Every week there's work to be done on the website and writing pieces for the match day programme and local newspaper. The website is particularly time consuming, a lot more work goes in to it than what seems like a worthwhile return.

Most weeks there's enquiries from the media to deal with, as well as usual social media stuff, making team sheets, requests from the club committee, fan enquiries on social media, press releases, script writing the local radio advertising. Then there's various bits of match day work, playing the live music and live updates either on audio commentary or twitter. A lot of the same stuff I then repeat for the women's squad. I have a very good group of guys who work with me on media stuff, and they put in big hours doing more work on the matchday programme and whatnot. I'd say the biggest time investment is the website.

I completely understand if people think it doesn't look like there so much time going into this stuff, it's all waaay more time consuming than I thought it would be. That's just speaking for myself personally, there's tonnes of other people putting in a lot of volunteer hours in the fundraising and administrative roles.

Ok, so I am guessing you are club secretary?

• Advertisement

Nope, in order to preserve what's left of my anonymity I'll leave it at that :)

I wouldnt bother with him. Think he's a bit miffed that people were criticising his precious Celtic on After Hours and he came to this thread to lash out.

Celtic aren't my precious anything. I first visited the thread you refer to out of curiousity as I understood the famine commemoration (Ireland's commemoration not Celtics) to usually happen in May.

I asked if any clubs here were commemorating the famine and was told that LOI clubs don't do publicity stunts.

Then this thread pops up and people are complaining about a lack of marketing. You couldn't make it up

And if you had read the thread in after hours you will also see I have been critical of Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I asked if any clubs here were commemorating the famine and was told that LOI clubs don't do publicity stunts.

Then this thread pops up and people are complaining about a lack of marketing. You couldn't make it up

What's marketing got to do with commemorating anything? You're completely free to come and debate why fans of the league complain about marketing, but after been given some pretty good points and information you accused someone of having a chip on their shoulder and then you admit the reason you posted in the thread in the first place.

Corholio wrote: »
    What's marketing got to do with commemorating anything? You're completely free to come and debate why fans of the league complain about marketing, but after been given some pretty good points and information you accused someone of having a chip on their shoulder and then you admit the reason you posted in the thread in the first place.

Marketing and commemorating something aren't related.

On page 2 of the Celtic After Hours thread i asked if any LOI clubs commemorate it. The first response I received was

"No, in general, league of Ireland clubs aren't given to publicity stunts"

This received thanks from many of the regular LOI posters here. Now I don't agree that commemorating the famine is a publicity stunt. One more helpful poster stated that Cork had held minute's silence in previous years to mark the national commemoration.

Publicity stunts are a form of marketing by the way so its a bit of a worry that so many LOI fans agree that clubs aren't given to publicity stunts...

The individual I accused of having a chip on his shoulder openly admitted having said chip on his shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I'll vouch for the many hours Darkglasses puts in at WYFC as an 'ordinary supporter', especially on match day.

I totally agree that people should get more involved in volunteering at their local club. However, some clubs have embedded cliques at senior level who are happy to let others do the heavy lifting, but will never let them contribute to the key decisions. IMO, this is what deters many supporters from getting involved

You seem to have a lot of power and control in the club, I see then? Why not delegate a bit? Get some volunteers from Wexford IT, they have a lot of Sports management courses etc

Sport Media & Marketing

Bachelor of Business (Honours) Marketing (MKT) CW908 »

Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Media & Public Relations CW808 »

Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sports Management & Coaching CW858 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (GAA) CW807 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (Soccer) CW827 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (Rugby) CW817

Would be great for their studies, their CV and could even be used for a future thesis?

Free tickets for the volunteers to games, get the college as a whole involved with the team, stuff like that. There is plenty of ideas that could be used.
    You clearly are more than a volunteers, you have a lot of power in the PR of the club if that is true, what you do? why not use 5 hours of that 30 a week and sell a pitch to these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Commemorating the famine would be a ridiculous waste of resources for LOI clubs, it didn't play any role in the development of Irish football. I understand why Glasgow Celtic made a big deal of it, it is very relevant to their formation and perpetual sense of victimhood.

From what I have seen of clubs like Dundalk and Cork is that a lot of social & local media marketing is done, particularly when you consider the paucity of resources. However, this only yields limited benefits.

Irish people are more influenced by what appears in the national media these days. The only time the national media got behind a LOI club this year, 30,000 people turned up to see Dundalk play Legia Warsaw.

re above............its actually Carlow IT but they have a Wexford Campus off Summerhill Road.

Soccer camps could be another good idea for the Summer montyhs, get kids invo;lved to get to the games, pack the stadium, have family days, stuff like that. No matter what pressure is put on FAI, they wont budge, its all initiative. Correspond with the other clubs PR teams, organise meetings to sit down together as a unit and sell marketing strategies for the league(s) and cups, then pitch them as a team to the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Irish people are more influenced by what appears in the national media these days. The only time the national media got behind a LOI club this year, 30,000 people turned up to see Dundalk play Legia Warsaw.

Irish people are more influenced by Sky then they are by the national media. I think 30,000 people would have still showed up regardless if the national media made a big deal of it or not seeing as it's a champions league game, played in the Avia and tickets were cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You seem to have a lot of power and control in the club, I see then? Why not delegate a bit? Get some volunteers from Wexford IT, they have a lot of Sports management courses etc

Sport Media & Marketing

Bachelor of Business (Honours) Marketing (MKT) CW908 »

Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Media & Public Relations CW808 »

Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sports Management & Coaching CW858 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (GAA) CW807 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (Soccer) CW827 »

Bachelor of Arts Sport & Exercise (Rugby) CW817

Would be great for their studies, their CV and could even be used for a future thesis?

Free tickets for the volunteers to games, get the college as a whole involved with the team, stuff like that. There is plenty of ideas that could be used.
    You clearly are more than a volunteers, you have a lot of power in the PR of the club if that is true, what you do? why not use 5 hours of that 30 a week and sell a pitch to these guys.

Do you volunteer for a club?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Do you volunteer for a club?

That wasn't a patronising post, just in case that is what you are targetting it as. It was suggestions that I'd like to think may help the guy somewhat. Worth trying.

No I don't I have no afiliation to a club as I am from Kildare and we ll know what happened at Station Road

re above............its actually Carlow IT but they have a Wexford Campus off Summerhill Road.

Soccer camps could be another good idea for the Summer montyhs, get kids invo;lved to get to the games, pack the stadium, have family days, stuff like that. No matter what pressure is put on FAI, they wont budge, its all initiative. Correspond with the other clubs PR teams, organise meetings to sit down together as a unit and sell marketing strategies for the league(s) and cups, then pitch them as a team to the FAI

There are plenty of really good suggestions there. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying clubs simply can't do any better, we definitely can. There's a lot more initiatives to be taken on. What I object to is finger-pointing and sneering at the existing volunteer base of the League of Ireland for not doing enough, and that they should just "pull the finger out" and make everything better (not accusing you of that at all!). And when it is proposed that they themselves contribute some of the work, it's simply just not their responsibility to do it.

I completely understand that for various reasons, time, motiviation, etc. that volunteering isn't for everyone. I just have an issue with people who don't volunteer having a go at those who do for not working hard enough. I know you weren't doing that The Talking Bread!

Secondly, I delegate, a lot. And we are of course hugely aware of Carlow IT and their courses, the club has benefited hugely as a result. Not least because that's where we get the majority of our playing squad from. With respect, you're not very aware of the goings on in our club. We do an awful lot of things you are suggesting, but yes, absolutely, there is more to do.

Thirdly, I am hugely, hugely in favour of inter-club initiatives between media and PR teams. There's absolutely tonnes of expertise there to be shared for the benefit of the league as a whole. It's something I definitely intend to look into in the off season.

Last thing, I disagree that I am anything other than a volunteer, I fit the description entirely. I am not on any committee, I have never and will never be paid for my work. I use the term volunteer purposefully, it's easy for that fact to get lost in other titles, but ultimately, that's all I am.

I'll vouch for the many hours Darkglasses puts in at WYFC as an 'ordinary supporter', especially on match day.

I totally agree that people should get more involved in volunteering at their local club. However, some clubs have embedded cliques at senior level who are happy to let others do the heavy lifting, but will never let them contribute to the key decisions. IMO, this is what deters many supporters from getting involved

Thanks mate, appreciate that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When is the semi final draw?

gimmick wrote: »
    When is the semi final draw?

Tomorrow 8.30am IIRC?

• Advertisement

There are plenty of really good suggestions there. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying clubs simply can't do any better, we definitely can. There's a lot more initiatives to be taken on. What I object to is finger-pointing and sneering at the existing volunteer base of the League of Ireland for not doing enough, and that they should just "pull the finger out" and make everything better (not accusing you of that at all!). And when it is proposed that they themselves contribute some of the work, it's simply just not their responsibility to do it.

I completely understand that for various reasons, time, motiviation, etc. that volunteering isn't for everyone. I just have an issue with people who don't volunteer having a go at those who do for not working hard enough. I know you weren't doing that The Talking Bread!

Secondly, I delegate, a lot. And we are of course hugely aware of Carlow IT and their courses, the club has benefited hugely as a result. Not least because that's where we get the majority of our playing squad from. With respect, you're not very aware of the goings on in our club. We do an awful lot of things you are suggesting, but yes, absolutely, there is more to do.

! :)

But surely if you delegate a lot aspects such as the list of work you listed as what incorporates 30 hours a week of your time is the precise stuff you should be delegating to students in such courses if they were willing?
    Journalism students, marketing students, general social media types? There has to be plenty out there.

May I ask, do you have a PR person "on the books" or a secretary that is getting paid or other such staff. I am just intrigued as to how these clubs work, I am very "ignorant" to the goings on and I would remain ignorant if I didnt inform myself, hence why I am asking you!

I mean if you are an unpaid volunteer doing all that, god knows who is getting paid!

May I ask what are the type of wages a player geats, I read somewhere it is circa 17K a year on average. I also read during the Celtic tiger there was one particular player earning €200,000 a year! (any idea who??) Again, this is all plain ignorance on my part but I am interested.

I ran a Irish Sports page myself ()for a few months with two mates as an experiment and we intend to start again properly in a month as we are all up to our ears in exams so I appreciate it takes a lot of dedication to put your time into something that you are getting no return. And all I was putting in was an hour or two every couple of days here and there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

May I ask, do you have a PR person "on the books" or a secretary that is getting paid or other such staff. I am just intrigued as to how these clubs work, I am very "ignorant" to the goings on and I would remain ignorant if I didnt inform myself, hence why I am asking you!

I mean if you are an unpaid volunteer doing all that, god knows who is getting paid!

May I ask what are the type of wages a player geats, I read somewhere it is circa 17K a year on average. I also read during the Celtic tiger there was one particular player earning €200,000 a year! (any idea who??) Again, this is all plain ignorance on my part but I am interested.

!

Just to chip in here. Wexford Youths have, to the best of my knowledge, just 1 employee. Shane Keegan, our team manager, is also the Commercial Manager. The playing staff are amateur and the committee are volunteers

Just to chip in here. Wexford Youths have, to the best of my knowledge, just 1 employee. Shane Keegan, our team manager, is also the Commercial Manager. The playing staff are amateur and the committee are volunteers

cheers, how does that compare to other clubs? Is Wallace still involved.............maybe I am talking to him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pats Vs Cork City
    Dundalk Vs Derry

Both ties Sunday 2nd it seems.

Glad we drew SPA. Shame its away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Home draw would have been preferred but can hope Dundalk's packed schedule tires them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Would have preferred to have avoided Cork but at least its in Richmond. Still its going to be very tough. Other tie is very hard to judge as its a short turn around for Dundalk after the Maccabi match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Kenny Shiels is some boy.

"I would imagine that Dundalk are not happy with this draw because they’ll know that we will probably dominate possession and that’s something that they’re not use to.

They’re crying about having to go to Amsterdam but I’m sure my players would prefer to get on a plane for a one and half hour flight than take a six hour bus journey for the second time in a week.

Our players will be tired. And they have two squads. Of the three possible opponents we could have had, all are littered with former Derry City players so we’re going to be up against it because we will be playing against quality players who have left Derry City.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/kenny-shiels-schedule-gives-dundalk-cup-advantage-over-derry-1.2789428?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

6 hour bus journey, is he taking the scenic route to Dundalk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

6 hour bus journey, is he taking the scenic route to Dundalk.

He's on about having to play in the sunny south east twice in a week

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Only way that draw could have been better for us if it was at home. Derry or Dundalk in the final will be difficult if we get there though.

Advertisement