Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

016 » 99th Giro d'Italia (2.UWT) Stage 13 » Palmanova › Cividale del Friuli

• 19-05-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭

Route

After a golirified rest day on Thursday, the real Giro kicks off again on Friday. Stage 13 brings us from Palmanova to Cividalie del Fruili, covering 170kms and 4 categorised climbs on the way. This is not going to be much fun for the sprinters or anyone struggling. Here is what the roadbook has to say about the stage.

This is a very challenging mountain stage. The route takes in 4 categorised climbs in a row, with just a few stretches to let the bunch catch their breath. The first 45 km run on apparently flat ground, and are followed by three typical pre-Alpine climbs, marked by narrow roadway, high gradients and endless turns, both while climbing and while descending. After a flat drag including a passage over the finish line, the route heads towards the two final climbs in Porzùs and Valle, with a very winding and undulating profile, and high uphill gradients. The road narrows at point while crossing urban areas. The route features some technical descents, especially when climbing down form Passo San Martino at km 64.

Stage-1461666603.jpg

Contenders.

With regards GC, it will be hard to take a big gap with the long run in to the finish. Nibali and Valverde are fantastic descenders, so look for them to make a move. Chaves stuck with them on a tricky descent on stage 11 so he might try something also. Jungels will be desperate to try hang on to the pink jersey, and he may find this a stage too much. Amador is primed to bring the Maglia Rosa to Movistar, sitting pretty in 2nd.
    That said, I think someone from the break will win. The whole of team sky have to be regarded as candidates. They’ll be eager to get a stage win after the withdrawal of Landa, look to Roche, Nieve, or Henao to get in the break. KOM candidate will be trying to mop up points too; guys like Visconti, Ciccone, Cunego, and Wellens could all be present.

Prediction

One of the Sky boys, hopefully a paddy.

Random Trivia

Here is some fascinating info about the start city of Palmanova, shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia

Palmanova was built following the ideals of a utopia. It is a concentric city with the form of a star, with three nine-sided ring roads intersecting in the main military radiating streets. It was built at the end of the 16th century by the Venetian Republic which was, at the time, a major center of trade. It is actually considered to be a fort, or citadel, because the military architect Giulio Savorgnan designed it to be a Venetian military station on the eastern frontier as protection from the Ottoman Empire.

250px-Cinta_muraria_di_Palmanova.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

It could be anyone ...I expect more than one SKY rider in the break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Cool trivia thing on Palmanova!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Someone like Cunego for the stage. Nibali in pink by the end of the day. Sense of inevitability about Nibali winning begins

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

They are in for a touch day in the saddle - anyone not in top form could loose serious time today....

Two early climbs :
    Montemaggiore is 8.3km at 9.3% and then the Crai - 8.8km at 6.4% with 3km at over 10%,
    Later two:
    The Cima Porzus at 8.9% for virtually all of its 6.7km length while the Valle climb is a kilometre shorter but almost as equally steep.

Maybe Deignan if he is given the opportunity, sounds too much for Roche IMO....

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Maybe Deignan if he is given the opportunity, sounds too much for Roche IMO....

I think the opposite ...those climbs are steep but not long so will need someone who can climb fast and descend fast .

Deignan more suited to the longer higher climbs in the Alps with a mountain top finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Looks like a stage tailor made for Nibali. The Giro turns into a absolute horror-fest for all non climbers from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »
    It could be anyone ...I expect more than one SKY rider in the break

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sky have had anyone in a breakaway so far in the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sky have had anyone in a breakaway so far in the race?

They haven't but circumstances have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

pelevin wrote: »
    Cool trivia thing on Palmanova!

It class! I couldn't believe the photo when I saw it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It class! I couldn't believe the photo when I saw it

now you know where the yanks got the idea for the pentagon :D

• Advertisement

Looks like Nieve only SKY rider in break

And Knees ..Roche & Deignan not there ....balls

Brak really big so has a good chance of going all the way and EQS not interested in it too much

Its Henao & Knees but so many top riders in there including Ulissi, Betencur, several Cannondale ...30 in total

This group may be too big though Hard day for EQS

Looks like Movistar are fighting already fro the Pink Jersey

And now more riders attacking out of the peloton

Could be a mega stage

a sky rider on the front, that must be a 1st for this race

Nicos with the Maglia Rosa group 2:30 back

Nieve at front , Roche with favs of about 20 riders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Roche with the pink jersey group going ok so far at the back of that small select enough group

Oh dear

• Advertisement

roche getting dropped out of the MR group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Roche just cracked or a mechanical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Juengels and Amador are cracking

would it be consider bad form by a spectator to attempt to trip up one of those muppets in stupid costumes who try to run beside the riders?

Gosh todays climbs are nothing compared to what has to come yet in the Giro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

neris wrote: »
    would it be consider bad form by a spectator to attempt to trip up one of those muppets in stupid costumes who try to run beside the riders?

Nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IH86pk-Zfo

stecleary wrote: »

Thats brilliant, I,d be so tempted to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Nibali is weak I'd say. His effort on the descent was a bluff.

Edit: Never mind, he was bluffing feigning weakness when Chaves attacked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jungles scrapping well to stay in Pink. Has some company for descent. Could hold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

4km and 52" what a ride by Nieve

Advertisement