Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why do we ride a motorbike?

• 19-05-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Statistically we have a much bigger chance of getting f**** killed on the road. Need to escape? my guess

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Xaime wrote: »
    Statistically we have a much bigger chance of getting f**** killed on the road. Need to escape? my guess

Cos I own one and want to.

I've lost mates on them .. But you can't cotton wool yourself. Life goes on and has to be enjoyed. Ride like every ****er wants to kill you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Enjoyable way to commute. Not affected by traffic jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I found it as a way to unwind, not being able to ride one now makes me feel (difficult to explain) confined and trapped.

And it's the closest we will get to the thrill a dog gets when it sticks it's head out a window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

What women I pulled back in the 90s with a rvf400.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

hairyslug wrote: »

And it's the closest we will get to the thrill a dog gets when it sticks it's head out a window.

I always thought it was because of the cooler air, I must buy a bike again to live this dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Because that feeling of freedom, adrenaline and excitement you get all at once when you twist the throttle and leap forward into the horizon cannot be replaced by anything else.

Oh and traffic. The thrill of slicing through traffic while everyone else is stuck in their cage boxes glued to their phones like zombies.

Few inspirational quotes for you:

"Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live" - Unecol calendar that comes free with the home heating oil every winter

"If I didn't ride then I may as well be dead anyway" - me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Because I can't run very fast and public transport sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

80dd1704b935a2e8025c09bfaf45c8d5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Like cycling, except you're faster than the b@stard cars, not slower.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Getting home in 15 mins vs 45 mins in a car - with a big smile on my face as I pass all the cars sitting still. A small twist of the wrist has you catapulting through the air at speeds most people will never experience. Carving up the bends on a sunny afternoon in the countryside - no better feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Freedom of the road, tranquility of the ride, starting a journey with no destination in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Lol, this thread reads like a Harley ad :P

I ride bikes because cars are boring :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

My best answer to being asked that question....

"If I Have To Explain, Then You Wouldn't Understand"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nothing is quite as raw or on edge when travelling. Everything is magnified, you smell the smoke, you feel the rain, you get hammered by wind, you feel the warmth of the sun.

You're only ever a mistake away from seriously getting ****ed up, but the feeling of a tight corner is worth the risk. I've literally come out of corners or (what feels like to me) a fast acceleration cackling like a madman. I've no doubt it could well catch up to me some day, but... *shrugs*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why on earth would anyone want to live their life by statistics???

My dad brought me for a spin on a Z1000 (sitting on the tank) when I was about 5, was getting one ever since, there's no specific reason more the sum of the parts:

Exhileration
    Fun
    Traffic
    Bikers are the best friends in the world
    Challenge
    Engineering

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Practical with a bonus of being fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vroom Vroom

<end>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've no idea!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Because it's fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

lols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

its a great way to meet new people .................................you will grow to despise.......:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

45 minutes commute instead of 90 (in the best case).
    Best way of being alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

To get chicks or dicks which ever suits you.....lmao

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    To get chicks with dicks which ever suits you.....lmao

..you mis-spelled "or" there bud.....i corrected it for ya.........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Haven't been on a bike in years, after reading some posts , going straight on to Donedeal.

And Dreaming !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

..you mis-spelled "or" there bud.....i corrected it for ya.........:D

To quote Ted from Ted 2 "There are no chics with dicks, there are only men with tits" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

for me, bike time is "Me" time.

To quote Ted from Ted 2 "There are no chics with dicks, there are only men with tits" :pac:

Men with tits........harley riders isnt it...:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

I question the validity of those stats!!

Firstly, there are plenty of headbangers on bikes and I'm not one of them... so general stats on motorcyclists don't apply.

Also, I've been wondering for quite a while now... do stats on motorcyclists include scooters? Cos afaik you don't need a license to drive a scooter ... and there are certainly plenty of scooterists doing outrageously dangerous things... which would imply that they have no training whatsoever. Say what you will about motorbikes but the test is actually difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

nhur wrote: »
    Cos afaik you don't need a license to drive a scooter ... and there are certainly plenty of scooterists doing outrageously dangerous things... which would imply that they have no training whatsoever..

Of course they need a licence !!! Where did you get that from ?

Advertisement