Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice in need of direction

Options
  • 20-05-2016 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Apologies for the long post!

I'm aiming to complete the Dublin city triathlon this year. I have done this race and others before but that was years ago and I've spent nearly all of that time coming back from major injury so I'm basically back to beginner level. I've been doing my own baseline training since September but now that college has finished I have no commitments between now and race day so I want to train full time.

I want to train as much as physically possible ie twice a day without burning out / overtraining and devote all of my off time to recovery. Advice on how to balance these would be greatly appreciated!

I need a coach and/or training plan combined with club training. I can be based in either Galway or Dublin but have heard good things about belpark.
    Any belpark members on here have an opinion on how compatible following the group training schedule is with working towards your own individual goal(s)?

Any coaches based in Galway or South Dublin interested in taking on a novice looking to complete an oly race in as fast a time as possible 14 weeks out? As stated above I'd be looking to train as intensively as possible:)

Any other general advice would be hugely appreciated! With all of this new found free time I am really keen to up the intensity of training to get fast a time as possible on race day but am worried about running myself into the ground before then.

Thank you in advance!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can you currently swim 1500m, bike 40km and run 10km on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    to get fast a time as possible on race day

This is all relative, and really depends on your starting point and aim. Have you a goal time in mind. Your "as fast as possible" is another mans super quick, and someone elses slow, so your ability to withstand two sessions a day really depends on what level you are at now, your age (college, so probably young, which means quicker recovery*), your weight, lots of different issues.

* - provided you are eating and sleeping correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Can you currently swim 1500m, bike 40km and run 10km on their own?

Yes, not very fast though...

I can do 1500m in a 25m pool in ~40 minutes
    Cycle 40km iin ~1:30
    Run 10km in 48 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

BTH wrote: »
    This is all relative, and really depends on your starting point and aim. Have you a goal time in mind. Your "as fast as possible" is another mans super quick, and someone elses slow, so your ability to withstand two sessions a day really depends on what level you are at now, your age (college, so probably young, which means quicker recovery*), your weight, lots of different issues.

* - provided you are eating and sleeping correctly.

I see where you're coming from, what I meant was I want to do as much speed work as possible between now and the race.
    I'm 25, 6ft 3" and ~80kg. I'd like to break 2:45 on the day...
    My diet is definitely clean but no idea if it's the right 'type' of clean ie ratio of fat:protein:carbohydrate etc

Advertisement