Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario kart maker???

• 20-05-2016 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

After the success of Mario maker catering for the platform side is there any chance a Mario kart maker could appear in the future?

It would be amazing. I was playing Mariokart Wii u earlier with my kids and in particular the excitebike round and it reminded me of one of the games on the Commodore 64 (kickstart maybe) and how you used to be able to make your own courses.

Imagine how cool this could be in mariokart Wii u....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I assume this idea is common but, as Mario Maker displays, there's an awful lot of skill in making a great level, and there is a lot of automatic levels and just lousy efforts out there.
    And that's just in two dimensions.
    A Mario Kart Maker would need three dimensional thinking and might be a tricky thing to get right.
    And I don't know if every Nintendo IP suits the Maker idea, but who knows?
    Mario Kart is such a precious franchise, with only one misstep in there, Mario Kart 64, the rest have been superb or pure perfection, my favourites being Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA and Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU, I don't know if Nintendo would want to release something that could compete with the major, once per format lifetime, series.

Maybe a Super Mario Kart Maker, only allowing SNES/GBA style tracks to be built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Funny, was just talking about this the other day. If you simplified the track so that they were technically only 2.5 D, like an old Doom map where track can have height but only one track piece can exist in a single point in the vertical plane - ie no cross-overs, but Dukes of HAzard jumps are fine! - then you could do this relatively simply and it lends itself well to the Wii U gamepad touchscreen.

But as much as I'd love it, the appeal of modern Mariokart tracks is usually in the unique features and interactions with the environment and the theme, 'cause the first one got it so right in relationship between track layout and kart handling. Since you would not be creating custom assets and you would not have access to the level of complexity for track layout of the game proper I think it would just become a collection of sub-par tracks and remakes of courses from previous iterations. It would make a hell of a feature for Mariokart 9 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

While it wasn't a great game, Modnation Racers did a really good job on custom track design on the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't modNation Racers and Little Big Planet Karting on PS3 have track creators? Don't know what the quality of tracks produced was like though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Disney Infinity had some good racing levels in the toy box and you could make your own but it took allot of work so could be done but I doubt it I think Mario Maker was just released due to the fact there wasn't anything else to release for the WiI U at that time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

GRID on the DS has a track creator, never bothered with it.
    Trackmania I think also has it.

Holy cr@p!
    Mario Kart Super Circuit is 15 years old!
    I remember buying the GBA like it was yesterday, damn I'm old!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I remember the fun squinting in the sunshine at the GBA screen trying to play it.

I remember the fun squinting in the sunshine at the GBA screen trying to play it.

As bad as the GB Color screen it was, you needed to be sitting under the sun, at midday, on the planet mercury to see the screen properly!
    Better still, play it on the DSlite, or via the GB Player on the Gamecube. It looks stunning even on the main TV via my Retron5

Advertisement