Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Eligibility Question

Options
  • 20-05-2016 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, being made redundant in 1 -2 months and I'm just struggling to check if I'm actually eligible for a redundancy payment.

I worked part-time for my employer for 1 year and 7 months and then I resigned and left for a different job. I went back to my original employer after about 6 months. And I've been working there for the past 10 months.

I was told I wasn't eligible but using the redundancy calculator on Citizen's Information, it tells me I am.

I selected Career Break as the reason in that calculator. I'm not sure if that's the same thing, because I actually resigned and just ended up returning to the same company.

Many thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You need to be working 2 years in a place without break to have rights for redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I selected Career Break as the reason in that calculator. I'm not sure if that's the same thing, because I actually resigned and just ended up returning to the same company.

What on earth makes you think you were on a Career Break, given your next sentence?

It's very clear cut, you are not legally eligible for a payment.

Some employers / contracts will offer one even if you aren't eligible. But not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Hey, being made redundant in 1 -2 months and I'm just struggling to check if I'm actually eligible for a redundancy payment.

I worked part-time for my employer for 1 year and 7 months and then I resigned and left for a different job. I went back to my original employer after about 6 months. And I've been working there for the past 10 months.

I was told I wasn't eligible but using the redundancy calculator on Citizen's Information, it tells me I am.

It depends on the company, you said you resigned so thats not a career break,

a career break is an actually thing, not a term people use to describe leaving and coming back,
    it means your still on the books as an employee etc etc.

Looks to me like you left took another job and then came back?

In that case you are not eligible unless your company is super nice and wants to pay you out of the kindness of their hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Your not entitled to redundancy. You didn't take a "career break" you quit.

Advertisement