Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Surprise Hospital Bill

• 20-05-2016 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advise.

My wife went in as a private patient to have our little boy in March 15.
    She was brought in as she had pre eclampsia and needed a c section.
    My wife was put in a private room, I told the nurse that I was aware that our insurance plan only covered a private room for a couple of days during maternity and that we were covered fully for a semi private room.

I remembered this because 21 months earlier when my wife was in giving birth to our 1st born we had a similar issue with the same hospital whereby when I said it to the nurse about not being covered for many days in a private room she said that she was surprised and maybe I was mistaken.
    I rang my insurance company and they confirmed what I had said to the nurse.
    I waited till the next morning and went to the accounts dept and told them and the girl behind the counter said she'd get it resolved.
    A day or so later after my 1st child was born my wife was indeed moved into a semi private room.

So now, 21 months later I again have to go and tell the girl in accounts about my restricted access to private rooms during maternity and again she says she'll look in to it for me.

My wife was then brought into have a c section as her symptoms were getting more serious.
    After she had the baby she was left in the private room she was put in on day one until she was discharged a few days later.

Fast forward 14 months and today we receive a bill from the hospital for €935 !!! .

I havent rang the hospital yet to speak to them about this but Id like to know where we stand on this or what would be the best approach to use ?

We done what we could in advising their accounts and nurses of our room restriction, they inturn didnt do anything about it.

If I end up having to pay this bill do you think theyd accept a payment plan to pay it off over a number of months. My wifes been let go from her job since and I'm the sole bread winner with 2 young babys to look after aswell and seriously dont have €935 to give anyone.

Any info would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,328 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

14 months later, that's a crazy delay, how could it have been presented so late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

vixdname wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advise.

My wife went in as a private patient to have our little boy in March 15.
    She was brought in as she had pre eclampsia and needed a c section.
    My wife was put in a private room, I told the nurse that I was aware that our insurance plan only covered a private room for a couple of days during maternity and that we were covered fully for a semi private room.

I remembered this because 21 months earlier when my wife was in giving birth to our 1st born we had a similar issue with the same hospital whereby when I said it to the nurse about not being covered for many days in a private room she said that she was surprised and maybe I was mistaken.
    I rang my insurance company and they confirmed what I had said to the nurse.
    I waited till the next morning and went to the accounts dept and told them and the girl behind the counter said she'd get it resolved.
    A day or so later after my 1st child was born my wife was indeed moved into a semi private room.

So now, 21 months later I again have to go and tell the girl in accounts about my restricted access to private rooms during maternity and again she says she'll look in to it for me.

My wife was then brought into have a c section as her symptoms were getting more serious.
    After she had the baby she was left in the private room she was put in on day one until she was discharged a few days later.

Fast forward 14 months and today we receive a bill from the hospital for €935 !!! .

I havent rang the hospital yet to speak to them about this but Id like to know where we stand on this or what would be the best approach to use ?

We done what we could in advising their accounts and nurses of our room restriction, they inturn didnt do anything about it.

If I end up having to pay this bill do you think theyd accept a payment plan to pay it off over a number of months. My wifes been let go from her job since and I'm the sole bread winner with 2 young babys to look after aswell and seriously dont have €935 to give anyone.

Any info would be much appreciated

I think they'd definitely accept a payment plan but id be querying why it took so long to send the invoice. Id be more concerned as to when you queried your entitlements to a room they didn't rectify the situation there and then.

I have worked in health insurance but not in Ireland, surely there has to be an informed financial consent to make you aware of the costs(before receiving the service). I'd contact the hospital and make it clear your very unhappy and try get a reduction in the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think they'd definitely accept a payment plan but id be querying why it took so long to send the invoice. Id be more concerned as to when you queried your entitlements to a room they didn't rectify the situation there and then.

I have worked in health insurance but not in Ireland, surely there has to be an informed financial consent to make you aware of the costs(before receiving the service). I'd contact the hospital and make it clear your very unhappy and try get a reduction in the bill.

Thanks for the replies.

They are so understaffed in this hospital I genuinely believe they forgot about us and left us to our own devises after the baby was born.
    Also, it was a last minute decision by the consultant to do the c section so it was fairly manic in there as my wife was getting sicker by the hours.
    I think it was all lost in the panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Write to them clearly and concisely similar to the post above givign the various details and that the bill should not be due and they'll check their records.

In a worst case scenario and you find you are liable, then yes they will accept a payment plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

VincePP wrote: »
    Write to them clearly and concisely similar to the post above givign the various details and that the bill should not be due and they'll check their records.

In a worst case scenario and you find you are liable, then yes they will accept a payment plan.

I think this is excellent advice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Also check with your health insurance - it may be that she was indeed covered for a private room because of her c-section, and that they made a mistake in reimbursing the hospital. Not hugely likely, but worth checking.

Advertisement