Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's here...May 20th....TPD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Holy crap...that's draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Let's hope our lot don't get any ideas from that.

Do they not see that giving different flavour options is another way to cut links to cigarettes. I smoked for the flavour. Now it repulses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jarek

moleyv wrote: »
    Let's hope our lot don't get any ideas from that.

honestly I'm really scared as it looks like they will;(

''Minister for Health Simon Harris T.D., has signed the Regulations transposing the Tobacco Products Directive into Irish law.''

Press Release

Minister for Health Simon Harris signs European Tobacco Products Directive into Irish law

The Minister for Health Simon Harris T.D., has signed the Regulations transposing the Tobacco Products Directive into Irish law. The European Union (Manufacture, Presentation and Sale of Tobacco and Related Products) Regulations 2016 come into force today, 20 May 2016.

The Regulations provide for more stringent rules for tobacco and related products and, from a public health perspective, focuses on limiting their appeal, in particular to young people. The Regulations include measures for labelling, ingredients, tracking and tracing, cross border distance sales and the regulation of electronic cigarettes, refill containers, herbal products for smoking and novel tobacco products.

More than ten years have passed since the adoption of the first Tobacco Products Directive (2001/37/EC) making it necessary at EU level to bring it in line with market, scientific and international developments in the tobacco sector. The aim of the Directive is to harmonise laws on tobacco products and electronic cigarettes, to facilitate the smooth functioning of the internal market while assuring a high level of public health protection. [Irish presidency]

The Regulations include the following measures: –

A ban on cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco with characterising flavours such as fruit flavours, menthol or vanilla;
    A ban on tobacco products containing certain additives;
    A ban on any misleading labelling (such as “natural” or “organic”);
    Increased size for combined health warnings and a requirement to place them on the front and back of the product;
    Additional reporting requirements for tobacco products;
    Notification requirements for electronic cigarettes, refill containers, herbal and novel tobacco products;
    Registration requirement for cross-border distance sales of tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or refill containers;
    Introduction of a tracking and tracing system;
    Regulation of electronic cigarettes and refill containers;
    Stricter rules on advertising/sponsorship for electronic cigarettes and refill containers;
    Mandatory safety and quality requirements for electronic cigarettes and refill containers;
    The Minister in welcoming these Regulations stated “These measures will further complement the tobacco control initiatives already in place and will help to drive down consumption of tobacco and protect public health. I also welcome the clarity provided on the regulation of e-cigarettes, which will give confidence to users in the safety and efficacy of these products”.

“In the area of tobacco control, I am delighted to hear that the UK Government has successfully defended their Standardised Packaging legislation in the courts. I look forward to progressing our Standardised Packaging Regulations in the near future”.

Summin up, now we're in transition period, 20-may 2016 >> 20 may 2017, in this time Irish Gov and relevant bodies/agencies are working on mechanism to make it happen after 20 may 2017 IRISH GOV wil have all necessary instruments/infrastructure (to a tracking and tracing system, Registration requirement for cross-border distance sales of tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or refill containers; etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Simply transposing the TPD is nothing like the same as what is happening in Finland, they have gone way beyond the TPD requirements. So I'm not sure why you are saying we have gone beyond that?

I can get over the TPD requirements, anything beyond that (like Finland) would need further thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

I had better get stock piling fast so :( any plans for petitions or demonstrations/protests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

jarek wrote: »
    honestly I'm really scared as it looks like they will;(

There's nothing too bad in that, it's what we were prepared for to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

There is no interest in harm reduction as such but complete annihilation of anything related to smoking. The tag line to this is abstain or die.

The potential for Ireland to follow suit like the Finnish is high given the progressive nature of smoking bans and big tax increases here. We are at the whim of whatever crowd gets into power and the majority of citizens are happy with this.

A bit surprised the Finns got hardcore so fast while the rest of us are on the slow boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Our clowns will wait to see what happens in the uk and then follow suit like the sheep they are, either that or they will try to go one better than the fins by shooting all the hipster vapers in the head and eliminating the haze of strawberry cheesecake smelling 'smoke' that's hovering over the country stopping the property market from taking off again and creating jobs...... its all our faults, we should have stayed on the fags

redkid wrote: »
    Our clowns will wait to see what happens in the uk and then follow suit like the sheep they are, either that or they will try to go one better than the fins by shooting all the hipster vapers in the head and eliminating the haze of strawberry cheesecake smelling 'smoke' that's hovering over the country stopping the property market from taking off again and creating jobs...... its all our faults, we should have stayed on the fags

I think they'll just stick with general TPD and then spend about 5 years upping the tax before making any personal changes

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Well I was being sarcastic about shooting us but yea your right they will squeeze as much out of us as they can driving up the price

• Advertisement

I know but given the crap I've gotten off passers-by especially blatant name calling it wouldn't surprise me in the least if physical violence was stoked or flat out promoted.

I remember standing outside dealz in cork and puffing away and this scrawny git called me a pr1ck while eyeballing me out of the corner of his eye. Like a sir I politely offered him the opportunity to say it directly to my face instead of muttering it out of the corner of his mouth.

I have to say I've never seen someone turn such a pale shade of white before.

Just to be clear i hadn't bumped into this gentleman nor had I blown a cloud of vape into his face. He merely saw the e-cig in my hand and decided that made me a pr1ck. There have been many instances of this since but that was the first problem i had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Finance officials say it would be 'too difficult' to put a tax on e-cigarettes
    http://jrnl.ie/2900638

Advertisement