Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulb making 'cracking' noise

Options
  • 20-05-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭

Done a quick search but have not found anything.

I put a new bulb into a hanging socket/fitment that had not caused any problems previously. After about an hour the light went off then there were several loud cracking sounds. I switched off the light and removed the bulb, it looks perfect and the socket looks fine.

I assumed there was a bad connection and the electricity was shorting. If I just replace the bulb is that likely to be a problem? How can I stop it doing the same again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

What type of bulb is it? Filament, CFL, LED? Did you try it in a different light fitting? If it's a CFL or LED bulb it's most likely a faulty electronic component in the bulb. Just replace the bulb with a new one and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, I could try it in a different fitting, its one of those long life bulbs that has three sections - three loops I don't know what they are called. Yes I am willing to try a different bulb, I am just a bit of a wimp with electricity!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That would probably be a CFL.

Did you get it sorted?

Advertisement