Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for new Mother

Options
  • 20-05-2016 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi there, can I ask what is an appropriate gift for a new mother? im sorry if I missed a thread on this.

first time posting here so please excuse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

how new a mother? if you're going to the house soon after baby is born then cooked food/easy to cook food is good!! We received a lovely plaque for number 1 with its birth date and weight which is a good option.

Otherwise flowers/something for the baby (in 3-6/6-9 months size and season appropriate! ie if baby is new now then they'll be 6-9 months over winter...) or baby vests... Can never get enough baby vests!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Something nice for the mother - massage voucher, genuine offer of babysitting etc. Voucher for clarks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A hot glue gun and a nice screwdriver set,swiss army knife.
    I am seriously thinking of these type of presents for people!!
    The best present that I got was my friends cooked me loads of food and put it in to freezer containers for me.
    Nice blankets are always a good present because you can never have too many,TK Maxx often have beautiful ones.
    Books are great too.
    I would avoid photo frames,clothes under 9-12 months,flowers, and anything that can not go in the washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Same as any regular pressie you would get her. She's not lost her personality. What does she like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I got tonnes of blankets with my first and second. I could probably open a blanket shop at this stage. All lovely but I've still got a few that haven't been used so I never tend to get blankets as gifts for other people. If it's a first baby I tend to buy some books and/or a nice toy for when baby is a little bigger. A voucher for Boots is my other go to. I seem to spend a fortune in that place since I had kids. If it's for mum specifically then I'd agree with pwurple something that you'd buy her ordinarily. Nice gifts I got for me after my two were a bottle of wine, champagne(wasn't opened for quite some time but still very much enjoyed!!), a homemade carrot cake and a couple of glossy magazines(had no concentration for books for a couple of months after my first), nice hand cream, nice shower stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 wicklass

In the past I would have recommended putting together a hamper of baby products but after receiving two with loads of Johnson and Johnson products, I would say find out if she has any preferences first.
    If she is breast feeding, multimam compresses! They're pricy at €12-15 for a small box, but believe me, she will thank you!
    Food for the fridge/freezer is also great. If possible things that can be eaten with one hand ie pasta dishes with penne rather than spaghetti. One of my friends bought me 4 or 5 M&S ready meals- they were very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If it's something for mum in particular: If she's breastfeeding, get her a few box sets, or a Netflix subscription.
    You could get A voucher to get her hair/ nails done, and a babysitting voucher. Anything really that she would normally like- she should still like! Money might be tight (babies are expensive!!!), so it's a nice idea to find something you know she likes, but might not splash out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

A really nice bottle of wine - its probably been 9 months since she had a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nothing baby related. Or babysitting offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Food.Ready made dinners, maybe some cake,or scones or something. Definitely a bottle of wine.
    If it's for the baby, clothes for over one year (make sure they are appropriate for the season-I can't tell you how useless it is to get frilly little summer dresses for 9-12 or 18 months when the child will be that age in the middle of winter),some books, a little toy, something like that.Include a gift receipt :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Thanks for all the replies everyone. yes it is specifically for Mum and not baby
    wanted to show some gratitude for all she has been through.

so I am thinking a night away. I wasnt sure if that was app seen as I get something out of that as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A night away is a nice idea, but a newborn often throws a spanner in that plan!

Are you the father of the new baby?

What you're talking about so, is what's known as a "Push Present". (I know, gross!) The internet is full of ideas for those.

-jewellery ... eternity rings or a jewel added to their existing ring. Charm bracelets or necklaces.
    -technology. Ipad, phone, apply tv or netflix subscription
    -furniture. Rocking chair, or a comfy armchair

But what most mammies want, better than any pressie is support. Lots of lots of support. Let her recover, do everything else. laundry, cooking, bins, making tea for visitors. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ah.... I see now! Be really supportive of her- anything you can do, then do it. Make her food - if she's breastfeeding especially, understand that that's all she might do some days, and make sure she knows there's no need to be trying to get dinners etc- this is obviously true even if she's not breastfeeding also, but feeding a new born is exceptionally time consuming!
    A night away is always nice, but with a small baby, it could actually be more stressful than anything. a piece of jewellery is always nice- even a charm for a bracelet or something!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Not wine or champagne. my house still has bottles of wine stashed 2 years later. still waiting for the damn child to sleep through the night.

Clothes vouchers, none of her clothes will fit properly. She will need new shoes and underwear.

Costa vouchers/coffee machine if she is not breastfeeding

Advertisement