Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of Iron - Expansion

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not to mention after just two evenings playing I felt like there was nothing to do but wait for the raid I don't remember my interest in the game waining this quick even with HoW/Crota's End.

Only efficient way to level up seems to be run a 320LL strike and infuse the blues you get (or farm Omnigowl). Raid stuff is dropping at guaranteed 365 it seems. I thought the siege engine was the best part by far but so far everything seems way more straight forward and easy to figure out than the previous raids, even the hidden chests and that are quite obvious. Would be very surprised if most groups don't beat the final boss today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Question about the second boss fight in the raid.....
    why the feck does breaking TV screens stop siva? What's the logic bungie??,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Question about the second boss fight in the raid.....
    why the feck does breaking TV screens stop siva? What's the logic bungie??,

Rasputin used to flash messages up on TV screens as well. Maybe something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention after just two evenings playing I felt like there was nothing to do but wait for the raid I don't remember my interest in the game waining this quick even with HoW/Crota's End.

Only efficient way to level up seems to be run a 320LL strike and infuse the blues you get (or farm Omnigowl). Raid stuff is dropping at guaranteed 365 it seems. I thought the siege engine was the best part by far but so far everything seems way more straight forward and easy to figure out than the previous raids, even the hidden chests and that are quite obvious. Would be very surprised if most groups don't beat the final boss today.

Raid was out at least a week too early. On the "straight forward" Bungie said they wanted this to be a smash and grab like CE & not have intricate mechanics like VoG or KF.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Bought the Rise Of Iron soundtrack today, and I think it's the best one yet.
    Lot more variety throughout this one, love the Sepiks Redux too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Raid was out at least a week too early. On the "straight forward" Bungie said they wanted this to be a smash and grab like CE & not have intricate mechanics like VoG or KF.

It's been 3 manned already. Very poor showing from bungie content wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Better expansion than HoW (it's nearest counterpart) and with added raid. Disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I genuinely don't know what people expected to get out of the DLC

Every single thing content wise was outlined in advance (no. of missions, raid ideology etc)

It was more or less said this would be similar to Crotas end. In fact it's longer than that

In fact it is closer to VoG in terms of sections, mechanics (3 teams of 2) and length

It gas to see people who actually farmed to be "over levelled" for the raid on Reddit complaining about it being too short/easy with out a hint of self awareness. Especially since it's Normal Mode :pac:

Also, once you know the other 3 raids, you can draw comparisions in terms of mechanics (one of the bosses is like another boss in another raid)

FWIW: 3 of us went in at 360 and had a blast. Only got found out by the final boss since he is 380

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I agree the Raid is easier than the previous ones, with less complex mechanics and allows the player to make more mistakes (we will see how it works on hard) but the Raid is a lot of fun despite everything, I enjoyed this raid more than I did Crotas End and Kings fall, it is just a blast, so much fun.

I am sure we will get tired of the new content very soon but nonetheless it was a nice DLC anyway, maybe too short yes but still nice (it could do with a story more with a bit more drama etc, as i was expecting a better story considering how important this Iron Lords were but still I am enjoying it.

The raid was fun, the story was acceptable, the new crucible game mode is fun as well, and they brought Ghorn back!

Also, loot wise the raid has, so far, 4 exotic chest (plus 1 that nobody has been able to open yet so we dont know if it is an exotic chest or not).
    Little Easter eggs such as Randhal the Vandal appearing out of nowhere in the server room, or those monitor that you apparently are suppose to active to unlock the last chest after the boss fight (thats the plus 1 I was referring to earlier). Plus whatever exotic quest etc we have not yet discovered makes it a decent DLC to keep us happy for at least 2 weeks... ;) j-k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cormac... wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know what people expected to get out of the DLC

Every single thing content wise was outlined in advance (no. of missions, raid ideology etc)

It was more or less said this would be similar to Crotas end. In fact it's longer than that

In fact it is closer to VoG in terms of sections, mechanics (3 teams of 2) and length

It gas to see people who actually farmed to be "over levelled" for the raid on Reddit complaining about it being too short/easy with out a hint of self awareness. Especially since it's Normal Mode :pac:

Also, once you know the other 3 raids, you can draw comparisions in terms of mechanics (one of the bosses is like another boss in another raid)

FWIW: 3 of us went in at 360 and had a blast. Only got found out by the final boss since he is 380
    The DLC could have been okay but they've destroyed the levelling system by capping blue engrams at 340, essentially forcing people to farm either strikes (snore) or Omnigul (snore but way more efficient) to level up/be raid ready. And this is brought to the fore by the story being short and there only being a handfull of quests.

Now I'm not bemoaning the size of the content, it just doesn't fit the levelling up pattern.

So I've completed all of the missions and all of the quests, Crucible included, used Heavy synths to go up about 7 faction ranks and I'm light level 352. The only content left for me to try is the raid yet the game has left me miles off, so I either slowly grind strikes I've played before or I'm gonna have to farm Omnigul for a couple of hours if I want to raid with my friends tonight. Its just poor design.

FWIW the raid being less about mechanics sounds great, King's Fall was an utter chore IMO, felt more like Just Dance than a shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

AdamD wrote: »
    The DLC could have been okay but they've destroyed the levelling system by capping blue engrams at 340, essentially forcing people to farm either strikes (snore) or Omnigul (snore but way more efficient) to level up/be raid ready. And this is brought to the fore by the story being short and there only being a handfull of quests.

Now I'm not bemoaning the size of the content, it just doesn't fit the levelling up pattern.

So I've completed all of the missions and all of the quests, Crucible included, used Heavy synths to go up about 7 faction ranks and I'm light level 352. The only content left for me to try is the raid yet the game has left me miles off, so I either slowly grind strikes I've played before or I'm gonna have to farm Omnigul for a couple of hours if I want to raid with my friends tonight. Its just poor design.

FWIW the raid being less about mechanics sounds great, King's Fall was an utter chore IMO, felt more like Just Dance than a shooter.

I started the Raid on Friday at 346. I was a squishy hunter and survived a lot better that guys 15 light above me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The main problem with leveling atm is that they've f'd up the legendary engram drops. The activity rewards have been broken since RoI came out, I kept getting ~240 blue engrams from the boss drops in the Siva Crisis strikes, plus the strikes no longer have legendary engrams as a possible activity drop.

The only way to reliably get legendary engrams is to do a public event each day which I find a bit annoying.

I agree having that choke at 340 is pretty painful. I hate farming and I'd say I farmed Omnigul for like 8 hours in total

Having all your slots at 365 and being held back by a 350 artifact making you 363 overall meaning your possible 365+ drops end up at 364 or 365 is waaaaayy worse. F**king painful

Cormac... wrote:
    Having all your slots at 365 and being held back by a 350 artifact making you 363 overall meaning your possible 365+ drops end up at 364 or 365 is waaaaayy worse. F**king painful

My hunter has just reached the 365 mountain at 364. Was lucky to get a decent artifact from the raid last night, but I've blown all my exotics I had stored at this stage. :(

PetKing wrote: »
    My hunter has just reached the 365 mountain at 364. Was lucky to get a decent artifact from the raid last night, but I've blown all my exotics I had stored at this stage. :(

Destiny first it giveth. Then Destiny taketh away

So - my complaints and comments on Rise of Iron

Skeleton Keys need to drop more often, given strike specific drops don't exist anymore without them.

Splicer offerings (Forge) need to drop more, and you need to be able to hold more than one at a time - only being able to hold one, and no longer being able to transfer them, is an insane choice from Bungie.

Legendardies should not be perma-cappened at 365 (20 below max light? INSANE) - at least not those dropped from end game activities.

I'm a big destiny fan and player - but the choices Bungie have made with regards the grinding and leveling is just confusing me. I don't understand what they are thinking.

TTK and April update made great changes and the game economy and flow felt right. They have gone backward from that, quite horribly. The light level grind is horrible, and I have put a lot of time into the game since the expansion came out - a lot of time that I don't feel is represented by the light level growth of my characters.

I do think the Forge has great potential - if they can change the offering drops and chance of being in a high player instance.

I really like Supremacy - I've been having good fun in this new mode. Will be interesting when IB hits.

The Raid looks good fun, and will be a quick blast like Crota (imo) once we are on level and used it to it.

It is so frustring - yet again Bungie have given us a game with great potential; but yet again design choices they have made are holding the game back from being fun - and I reckon it has to be deliberate to stop people from overlevelling for the raid or Nightfall too quickly to make it seem the content is more substantial than it is.

Skeleton Keys need to drop more often, given strike specific drops don't exist anymore without them.

Agreed.
    Splicer offerings (Forge) need to drop more, and you need to be able to hold more than one at a time - only being able to hold one, and no longer being able to transfer them, is an insane choice from Bungie.

Someone said it last night at the Forge, with 3 teams of 3, someone is almost always guaranteed to get an offering to keep things ticking over

I really like Supremacy - I've been having good fun in this new mode. Will be interesting when IB hits.

I'm so MEH! on supremacy!!
    The Raid looks good fun, and will be a quick blast like Crota (imo) once we are on level and used it to it.

1 hour 56 mins for the world's first completion. Should be a doddle in a few weeks.

3 teams of 3 has probably happened once in the history of Destiny. Forge and CoE are horribly designed.

Supremacy is still ****e a few days in. Just doesn't work as well in Destiny as it does in CoD. SBMM not helping that everyone in my lobbies knows to warrior around with a high impact shotgun.

PetKing wrote: »
    Someone said it last night at the Forge, with 3 teams of 3, someone is almost always guaranteed to get an offering to keep things ticking over

But we can't fireteam more than 3, and we are relying on Destiny's rubbish instance matching to get more than 3 people in there. The matchmaking could put in three single player fireteams - still no help really.

As with CoO - the idea of Forge is fun (and it can be an absolute blast) but the execution is lacking due to the design choices Bungie have made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Soooo...... has anybody beaten the raid yet? We got the final boss to enrage last night, but he still had about a third health left.

Tried for the first time last night. Had him down to what looked like 5-10% which we were under the impression staggered him Oryx style but he just stood up and killed us. Then one guy had to go so we chucked it. Was fun enough, I imagine it'll be very easy at 370, we were all 364-367. Raid is fun enough, more like VoG in that people can die but you can clutch it with really good play or if you've your super and heavy saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Tried for the first time last night. Had him down to what looked like 5-10% which we were under the impression staggered him Oryx style but he just stood up and killed us. Then one guy had to go so we chucked it. Was fun enough, I imagine it'll be very easy at 370, we were all 364-367. Raid is fun enough, more like VoG in that people can die but you can clutch it with really good play or if you've your super and heavy saved.

Are you Xbox or PS4?

This is the first raid I ran blind and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Figuring out the mechanics was fun early in the raid. The final boss and ads are a much higher level than the rest of the encounters leading up to it, so we struggled on Saturday. But last night it seemed like the 6 of us finally clicked and we were doing good damage and not missing any empowered slams.

Would love to get the raid done before reset but a couple of the lads can't get back on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Are you Xbox or PS4?

This is the first raid I ran blind and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Figuring out the mechanics was fun early in the raid. The final boss and ads are a much higher level than the rest of the encounters leading up to it, so we struggled on Saturday. But last night it seemed like the 6 of us finally clicked and we were doing good damage and not missing any empowered slams.

Would love to get the raid done before reset but a couple of the lads can't get back on tonight.

I've only done a few runs and getting to the zamboni, but so far much prefer this raid over Kings Fall. I like the idea of a short raid, and I think once we get used to the mechanic's and more increase in the LL on the characters you would suspect its a raid to be gotten through pretty quick (much like crota/vog is now when you stomp through at 330+ on a 170 even :). Should be almost like doing a 6 man strike, and can have the craic aswell.

I much prefer the weapons/armour from it aswell, was never a fan of all that 'monster' looking stuff from kings fall.

Myself, Madra, Petking, CDB, Totz and 1 helpful Party chat blue barely put a dent in a 370 Captain during last nights Forging. Threw a Nova at the start and he laughed at me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Myself, Madra, Petking, CDB, Totz and 1 helpful Party chat blue barely put a dent in a 370 Captain during last nights Forging. Threw a Nova at the start and he laughed at me.

What LL you at?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    What LL you at?

Warlock: 34.........6/7. I thought collectively we'd have enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Warlock: 34.........6/7. I thought collectively we'd have enough.

Nooooooooooooo, final raid room has 370 captains, they take 2 hits from a 365 raze-lighter. Before the Raze when I was 352ish they were taking feck all damage. Anything aruond 360 and youll beat them :)

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooo, final raid room has 370 captains, they take 2 hits from a 365 raze-lighter. Before the Raze when I was 352ish they were taking feck all damage. Anything aruond 360 and youll beat them :)

Might be another week before I go near the raid.

• Advertisement

Might be another week before I go near the raid.

Your actually grand for most the raid at your LL up until the final final boss phase TBH.

Advertisement