Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of Iron - Expansion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah for trials/IB it's a right pain as you can't necessarily run with your best pvp stuff if you want your drops to be good.

This is so frustrating, I ran all of IB with my highest level armour - which was all un levelled and crap in terms of int/dis/str.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Or switching primary/secondary/exotic armour during an IB match, leaving you 1 or 2 LLs below your max making your drops redundant..**** leveling up system.

If apps like Ishtar Commander can tell your highest achievable light level, surely this value can be taken into account when you get your drops?

It's a really sh!t levelling system. Considering all of the time and effort they've put into it, there's no way such a basic concept has been overlooked accidentally.

I know they've tried to slow the levelling down a bit to prevent people burning through content / hold the normal mode raid back a bit, but you shouldn't be getting drops lower than your current item because 1 item is lagging behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm not sure what the general sentiment is regarding Archon's Forge but I'm really disappointed in how it has been implemented. I went there a few times around the release of RoI and always found groups to play with. I had a great time with randoms and got a good bit of loot.

Now over the past week I've gone there each evening and never find anyone around. It just seems like the need for items to start a round and having it so far away from the spawn point makes it less likely to get groups now. It is a shame because it is more fun that Court of Oryx.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The best way (and none of them are easy) to get an artefact seems to be via skeleton keys / strikes. If you use the key and your artefact is your lowest equipped item the chest will have a blue artefact over your current one). Not sure what it's capped at but saw a 369 so presume it's 385.

Other than that ranking up Eris and faction/vanguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I would have to say that doing the raid is your best option, I've easily had over 30 rank ups, actually more. I have yet to have an artifact drop whereas I've had 3 from raids that exceed 365.

Faction rank ups have been producing ghosts and bonds for me.

Got a Skeleton key on the new Siva strike with the Ogres eye and got the strike sniper rifle from the chest.

So that made me think, are you better off saving your Skeleton keys for strikes that don't have strike specific drops? That way you're almost guaranteed an artefact.

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »
    I would have to say that doing the raid is your best option, I've easily had over 30 rank ups, actually more. I have yet to have an artifact drop whereas I've had 3 from raids that exceed 365.

Faction rank ups have been producing ghosts and bonds for me.

Yup, I think the only way to get artefacts are engrams (very rare), Eris (hard to grind as you need runes), skeleton keys are the most likely.

Skeleton keys are pretty rare drop wise but the clip I saw said once you use one and your artefact is your lowest LL item equipped the chest will give you a higher artefact.

I tried that on Tuesday - artefact was 5 LL lower than every thing else and I got a sniper and bond :/

I tried that on Tuesday - artefact was 5 LL lower than every thing else and I got a sniper and bond :/

Well at least I've learned not to believe everything I see on the internet, today.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yup, I think the only way to get artefacts are engrams (very rare), Eris (hard to grind as you need runes), skeleton keys are the most likely.

Artefacts from engrams are capped at 365 unfortunately. The raid has been where I've done the best artefact wise and to a lesser extent IB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Got a 380 blue artifact from the skeleton key chest on the Valus Tauric strike last night, then opened a NM rank up armour package and got a 380 ghost, just need a 380 or high Helm now to hit 380LL.

Still havent tried the RAID yet either

How'd you get to 380 without doing the raid???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Omnigul and/or Exotic engrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well like if all your gear is 383, having a 365 artifact will still mean you end up at like 381 or whatever

The problem is levelling slows to a halt when your artefact is slowing you down...
    All your drops land at your current light level, or 1 light above.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Nightfalls, Strike chests, Faction/crucible/vendor packages, Crucible/Iron Banner and lots of Archons forge, plus exotics.

Wont lie its been a grind but Iron Banner helped out massivley

Hopefully some of the xbox lads will help me through the raid on saturday.

The problem is levelling slows to a halt when your artefact is slowing you down...
    All your drops land at your current light level, or 1 light above.

I'll take it over tDB, HoW and tTK levelling-up gating any day.

Anyway, the Raid is money for getting up levels. Did it with a 352 player yesterday, he ended up at 361 after it, handy stuff, and it wasn't even that big of a carry

Jump in and do the raid on 3 characters, get an artifact, infuse it into a RoI Iron Lord artifact you can use on all 3 characters and you're sorted.

The whole "The game should check all my potential loadouts and determine my maximum possible light level and THEN drop something 1 LL higher in that 2 seconds when the boss dies or match ends" is more than likely unfeasible (from a technical point of view).

DIM even s**ts the bed trying to deal with "Maximum Light" quiet a lot and has often, for me and others, given incorrect, overstated values.

Boss on 5% health or PvP match about to end in 30 seconds? Put on your best gear = Profit

Anyway, Artifacts are only like 8% of your light.
    And it's not like you need to 380 to Raid or Play IB (which gave top-tier artifacts). If you get to 365, thats perfect to do the Raid from scratch and thankfully that's what Legendaries drop at from Engrams.

TL:DR: Go Raid, stop obsessing about Artifacts. Game has RNG in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They are all valid points. The leveling system is still **** though.

Wasn't HoW better? And the system they had about a month ago?

Somebody had a great suggestion on reddit of checkpoints. So when you hit 365 you reach a checkpoint and the game knows to drop items above that from now on etc.

They straight up don't want people to hit high light levels too fast as it takes away the grind, gets you off the hampster wheel and you stop playing and someone has to go back to Activision with a graph that shows player numbers plummeting after 5 weeks.

There's a reason they created 340 (blues) 350 (vendor bought) 365 (engrams) and, 385 (raid, exotics, IB, ToO) choke points.

Otherwise people would just play Control and hit Max Light and be like "Bad DLC Bungle, not enough content!!!".

I just think Artifacts have been overlooked in a negative way for players, same way Omnigul farm was overlooked in a positive way for players. But players always seem super vocal about the negatives more so.

I think it's just a case of people who haven't put in as much time playing and/or Omnigul farming looking at others and being like "How are you guys 385?".... 127 (in 23 days) played since hours in RoI is how. So 5.5 hours a day (https://secret-scrubland-31430.herokuapp.com/2/genericdreadhead/fixed)

Not a glowing advertisment. But lets not kid ourselves, it's what Bungie and Activision want.

Don't forget tTK was NOT like it was pre-ROI... There was the April Update that changed a s**t tonne and gave like 6-8 ways of earning Max LL Gear and introduced 1-for-1 infusion

The Raid is well designed and the Siva Keys and Key Fragments was a great addition and better than bloody Mouldering shards.

Once you are ~360, get raiding and you're sorted. If you don't like PvE, there's Trials and IB.

I'm happy with the levelling up. Was kind of losing interest before ROI (in a relative sense). Now I'm delighted to do all types of mundane c**p to slowly level up. Once you reach max LL you realise you have nothing left to do.
    Well for me anyway.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm happy with the levelling up. Was kind of losing interest before ROI (in a relative sense). Now I'm delighted to do all types of mundane c**p to slowly level up. Once you reach max LL you realise you have nothing left to do.
    Well for me anyway.

Happened to me on Tuesday. Did a Raid. Realised since I was already 385 it was technically pointless and was only doing it for practice for Hard Mode. Ended up spending 70% of my evening playing Overwatch after that

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's a cynical but really effective way of getting people to play the game for tonnes of hours without having to provide all that much content. it sucks but I know I'm going to stick with it until hard raid is done and dusted, and that's exactly what they want.

And then WHAM! Civilisation 6!

I used to "play" Clash of Clans.... ya'll don't know how good you have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Mcsirl wrote: »
    ---
    Originally Posted by Hail 2 Da Chimp View Post
    ---

Nightfalls, Strike chests, Faction/crucible/vendor packages, Crucible/Iron Banner and lots of Archons forge, plus exotics.

Wont lie its been a grind but Iron Banner helped out massivley

Hopefully some of the xbox lads will help me through the raid on saturday.

Same here, was able to get to 385/386 without finishing the raid. Upto this week had only done vosik and zamboni a couple of times, and all the raid drops have been less LL for me. Kept all those exotics till after 365, tons of faction rep/crota bane & skeleton keys for artifacts , plus I used the one character for decrypting all engrams, got lucky a good few times with exotics from blue/legendary's. As Mcirl said IB last week then just topped it off, was able to get a lot of the secondary guns/armour upto higher LL aswell.

Cormac... wrote: »
    The whole "The game should check all my potential loadouts and determine my maximum possible light level and THEN drop something 1 LL higher in that 2 seconds when the boss dies or match ends" is more than likely unfeasible (from a technical point of view).

I've been looking into the API and it is definitely feasable - just look at the "maximise light" option on Ishtar Commander.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Somebody had a great suggestion on reddit of checkpoints.
    Perfect, very simple answer. Even if it only had the granularity of every 5 LL's you hit a checkpoint.

The whole - changing into your highest gear before decrypting an item is annoying me too. Mainly because I keep forgetting.

All that being said, I do think the artefact issue is put in to gatekeep the light levels and I expect they'll fix that with the hard mode raid / challenge mode raid.

My only problem is my infusion addiction. Case in point:

Vosik's dead, yay. Oooooh a 377 shotgun which I can put into my sniper.

Might as well make a SIVA key while I'm here. Oooooh a 378 shotgun which I can put into the same sniper.

Damn 1 mark short. Ah well a god roll Imago is no good to me. Dismantle.

Please help is there a number I can ring.

I had a similar thought last night - my vault is again full.
    I have every full set of IB and raid gear for my warlock (except Oryx - too ugly).

It just dawned on me - if I accidentally deleted it all, I wouldn't even notice.

I have my first ever exotic Y1 "Helm of St 14" I've infused it to 379. Got another one at 379 but with better rolls. Can't delete original one.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have my first ever exotic Y1 "Helm of St 14" I've infused it to 379. Got another one at 379 but with better rolls. Can't delete original one.

You have it locked.

Advertisement