Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To emigrate or stay home

• 20-05-2016 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

Coming out of my final year of college and have two jobs offers for June, one at home and one abroad. Btw I lived in the city for a year before last year so I have friends over there and at home so not taking this into account.

Job 1 Home: Travelling perks, no renting, can save for a masters, twice the money, a job I'll enjoy, not really related to my degree, job in english, something the mother would want.

Job 2 Abroad: Big organisation, living expenses, living in a nicer city, easy public transport to work, half the salary (but half the living expenses), will pay own rent (about 1/3 of salary), living in the same city as my girlfriend (dating for a year and a half), great experience, more related to my degree, learning a new language is part of the job. Drink is better and cheaper.

So After hours, apart from taking the piss, which one would you go for?

To stay or go 137 votes

Get the hell out of ireland now before enda ruins it
    0% 0 votes
    Stay at home ya big moaner
    78% 108 votes
    Do what mammy says
    16% 22 votes
    Stupid poxy poll
    5% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

definitely option 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Based on that I'd go for option 2. You'll get regular riding. I'm sure the other stuff whatever it was is important too but mainly the riding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

GO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Of course there are a million other things to consider, but I'd say living abroad and learning a new language and experiencing a new culture could be a great experience. Your girlfriend being there also (does she know about the offer and how would she respond to you turning it down?).

Does the big organisation abroad have any offices in Ireland for you to move back to some day?

Is job 2 something you want to do long term? Or is that job 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Give it a go. You will regret it if you don't. If you don't like it you can come back. Don't worry about the masters, you can do it any time. Or not at all..

I assume by no rent you mean staying with your parents? Hardly what you want at this stage in your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Option 3 - Go on the dole and live like a king with a council mansion and a Bugatti Veyron.

Get through the means test correctly and you'll get your own monkey butler, too! ;)

Failing that, take option 2 and get out there. I regret not getting the chance to travel and instead hanging around these here parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Do first one for a while. Save some money. Then the second option if you can get the same offer again or in a similar company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Go option 2, if it doesn't work out you can try reverting to option 1.

This will be a lot easier than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

moloner4 wrote: »
    Coming out of my final year of college and have two jobs offers for June, one at home and one abroad. Btw I lived in the city for a year before last year so I have friends over there and at home so not taking this into account.

Job 1 Home: Travelling perks, no renting, can save for a masters, twice the money, a job I'll enjoy, not really related to my degree, job in english, something the mother would want.

Job 2 Abroad: Big organisation, living expenses, living in a nicer city, easy public transport to work, half the salary (but half the living expenses), will pay own rent (about 1/3 of salary), living in the same city as my girlfriend (dating for a year and a half), great experience, more related to my degree, learning a new language is part of the job. Drink is better and cheaper.

Where is 2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Stay get a young one pregnant, get her to get onto council and get a house and all the benefits that go with it.

Move in with her (dont tell the DSP) and live a life doing nothing and getting benefits for it!

Works for the majority of coucil estate kids around here, and they all seem to be out at least 2/3 times a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you do the first one and start building some wealth you'll thank yourself in ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Lurkio wrote: »
    Where is 2?

Spain?

...I’m just saying, you might get sick of it all but you might miss it too and there’s ten good reasons to go but a thousand tiny ones not to
 and I don’t know which is which anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd go for option 2. New language, new place, close to your GF, all very valuable.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the actual salary - money is only worth what you can buy for it, so any income needs to be seen in relation to spendings :)

Go.

First option stay at home with mammy?
    Stand on your own two feet and live your life & enjoy it.

Ireland's not going anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Can we know the country, coz you might be going to one of those loser countries

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Option 3: Buy a radioactive pet and hope it bites you. You could become Super Hamster Man and have excellent running in hamster wheel abilities.

I realise this doesn't help at all. It would just be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What is your career?

If it's anything in IT then experience will trump a masters when it comes to finding jobs, so getting good experience related to your degree would be more valuable in the long run.

Also, you don't say location, but if it's anywhere in central Europe, then you can travel within Europe for very little. Better weather and you will more likely have better a quality of living depending on location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you don't have any major commitments I'd go with option 2. It's more if an adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

moloner4 wrote: »

Seeing as you're a recent graduate and have been offered such a good job at home (good money, opportunity to travel- often these two components are rare in graduate positions!) I assume you have good grades and perhaps a strong CV from work experience so potentially, a year or so from now, you'll have an even stronger CV with work experience abroad and better language skills. I would imagine you would still have a good chance, if not better, at finding another graduate role back in Ireland on your return.

Also, if you get the experience abroad in the field that you're in, it may reduce the necessity to have to come back and do a Masters. In many fields practical experience is much more sought after and useful than a Masters.

Tbh I would really push you towards going abroad for a while- it may be your only chance and you could easily regret it a few years down the line especially if you fall into a "comfortable" routine in Ireland so young. Get out and see the world while you can :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I would go with option 2 - you won't always get the chance to immerse yourself in the culture of another country. Wouldn't worry about the money aspect - you will prob spend the extra money you make here on holidays going to see your GF anyway!

Might be wrong on this, but I would also think that its easier to try Option 2 then go back to Option 1 (or something similar) than it would be to go the other way

Also riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Option 2!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Def go work abroad for a while. It will only benefit you in the long run, on the CV as well as widen your personal horizons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Option 2, purely for life experience, not because "Enda is going to ruin the country" BS.

You only have a short time frame in your life that you can travel, now would be the prefect time.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I think if option 2 is not an automatic choice for you then you're with the wrong girl. So go anyway but dump her first as the local women will probably have your head turned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Definitely emigrate, even if it's not permanent.......

Ireland is so small in so many ways, so my advice would be to travel the world and broaden the mind, then possibly live somewhere else and breathe in another culture for comparison, then in ten or twenty years time come back to Ireland and permanently settle if you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Dude if you have a sniff of an offer abroad get the FCUK outta here !! One of my biggest regrets is not bailing out of Ireland , to settled to go now but if i was just coming out of college now instead of 5 years ago id be on the first flight or boat to the UK , US , Australia , Canada etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You can always come back to Ireland later but go for the experience alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Well seeing as you have a girlfriend in Spain, i would go! Things aren't always as amazing as ex-pats represent on facebook, but getting out of Ireland for a few years and some life experiences would be my advice. It's only Spain anyway. If you don't like it, it's easy to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Shergar6 wrote: »
    Well seeing as you have a girlfriend in Spain, i would go! Things aren't always as amazing as ex-pats represent on facebook, but getting out of Ireland for a few years and some life experiences would be my advice. It's only Spain anyway. If you don't like it, it's easy to come back.

Why does everyone think students want to go spain? Went twice and hate the place. Anyway it's a central european country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

I love the way the price and quality of alcohol is a deciding factor.

How very Irish. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Up and leave. Always the better option, and it's nothing to do with Enda or anyone else but yourself.

BUT

The best bit of "emigration" advice I ever got (though it wasn't directed at me personally - 'twas an interview on the radio with Ronnie Drew) was You can never go back. Even if you're only gone from Ireland for a year, you'll be changed by being away and Ireland will change while you're away.

If you decide to leave, decide to leave, don't try keeping one foot under mammy's table. You can always make a new life for yourself in Ireland later on, but it won't be "going back", it'll be "starting again."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

If it was me I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Even if you're only gone from Ireland for a year, you'll be changed by being away and Ireland will change while you're away.

Happened to me last year when I was gone for a year (to the same country). At least I don't have to worry about culture shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Go.... Recovery my ar5e

Go, broaden your horizons. Home will still be there to come back to if you change your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Go, before you get tied down.

It's my greatest regret that I didn't travel enough before settling down.

Option 1 without a doubt easily decision, I wouldn't even have gone looking for an option 2 with such an ideal option 1. Also who knows you might not be able to get a job around home again as easily and could be stuck living away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Option one sounds more profitable, do that.

Whatever place you go to will end up being the same old same old after a few weeks. Not saying it will happen to you but I know a few other people who moved countries to be with a significant other and broke up due to the upheaval of the move or by one of the couple getting their head turned by the new shiny and cheating.

Also,travel doesn't broaden your mind. It turns you into an insufferable bore who won't shut up about how much better everything is anywhere but home. The only people who want to hear your tedious travel stories are other insufferable bores.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Option one sounds more profitable, do that.

Whatever place you go to will end up being the same old same old after a few weeks. Not saying it will happen to you but I know a few other people who moved countries to be with a significant other and broke up due to the upheaval of the move or by one of the couple getting their head turned by the new shiny and cheating.

Also,travel doesn't broaden your mind. It turns you into an insufferable bore who won't shut up about how much better everything is anywhere but home. The only people who want to hear your tedious travel stories are other insufferable bores.

You don't sound like you have a chip on your shoulder at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

If it was me, I'd go. If you were my kid, I'd be telling you to go.

You will NEVER have this time again, make to most out of it & experience life. Everything here will most probably still be here in a year's time, commit to a year, then see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Candie wrote: »
    You don't sound like you have a chip on your shoulder at all.

I'm sorry i insulted the Irish holy sacrament of " goin' travelin' ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I'm sorry i insulted the Irish holy sacrament of " goin' travelin' ".

Irish? Pretty sure travel is a world wide phenomena

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

My advice to any youngster is this - You get yourself educated, you leave this country and never EVER return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Go, take the opportunity abroad. If you don't like it you can always come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Go forth, my young friend. Live the life I never lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Definitely GO (side note: Poll options are reversed compared to the OP). Ireland isn't going anywhere and certainly won't change much in the next 12-18 months (if you decided you want to come back)

You have friends there already, a new culture to experience, a girlfriend, and loads of other things to enjoy. As someone else said, anyone who has the chance to get out of this country should. If you decide to stay over there, you can always come back regularly enough on holiday if you want with cheap flights - I never understand people who chuck in good jobs and new lives they've built for themselves abroad just to come back here.. if I had no commitments and the opportunity you have, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Start working as a graduate in some multinational company. They'll assign you a nice cubicle in a safe air conditioned environment. You can spend your lunches acting all liberal to fit in with your colleagues and the rest of your time busting your ass so that you progress in your "career" in the hope that one day you get your own office across the hall, this will come in your late 40's early 50's provided you work harder and smarter than all your co-workers and have a natural talent for licking managements ass (don't worry this can be learned). In the meantime you can busy your personal life by getting married to some girl, knock two kids out of her (a boy and a girl), buy a semi-detached house in some upper middle-class neighbourhood and go on a family package holiday each year. Retire in your 60's and NOT spend your pension on all the things you always wanted to do with your life because you've spent so much time pretending to be someone that you have no idea who the real you is anymore and more importantly you have no idea what makes the real you happy. But thats ok you can blow the money on a cruise for yourself and the missus for the 40th anniversary, a brand new Nissan Micra and put the rest away to tide you over while you sit around and wait to die.

In short; raise a family, earn a living and then die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Start working as a graduate in some multinational company. They'll assign you a nice cubicle in a safe air conditioned environment. You can spend your lunches acting all liberal to fit in with your colleagues and the rest of your time busting your ass so that you progress in your "career" in the hope that one day you get your own office across the hall, this will come in your late 40's early 50's provided you work harder and smarter than all your co-workers and have a natural talent for licking managements ass (don't worry this can be learned). In the meantime you can busy your personal life by getting married to some girl, knock two kids out of her (a boy and a girl), buy a semi-detached house in some upper middle-class neighbourhood and go on a family package holiday each year. Retire in your 60's and NOT spend your pension on all the things you always wanted to do with your life because you've spent so much time pretending to be someone that you have no idea who the real you is anymore and more importantly you have no idea what makes the real you happy. But thats ok you can blow the money on a cruise for yourself and the missus for the 40th anniversary, a brand new Nissan Micra and put the rest away to tide you over while you sit around and wait to die.

In short; raise a family, earn a living and then die.

I've lost count of the amount of people I've seen retire and then bang,heartattack,within a short period of time..

• Advertisement
Advertisement