Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needs help with first Vape?

Options
  • 20-05-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, new to the boards community and also vaping so bear with me!

I bought a Liqua Q Vaping Pen about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I have a few questions.
    For starters there isn't much information about the Liqua Q Pen online, which is why I'm resorting here.

To get right to it..
    First of all, can I MOD my pen or what's the story with it? When I say MOD I mean create a good amount of that milky white vape we all love.

I see all these Atomizer MODs online but can I use them for my Liqua Q pen? Or can I only buy accessories built specifically for my vape?

Could anyone recommend a few good starter MOD accessories? Do I need to mix different clearomizers with certain atomizers to get aload of vape? Or how do I go about it at all?

Also, i'm currently on 12mg nic and roughly 70/30 VG/PG. Could anyone recommend a good Irish website to buy E-Juices from where I can customize the VG/PG ratio?

Cheers :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You should have come in here when pondering on what to start with. That kit isn't very good I'm sorry to say. I'd suggest something like the joytech AIO to a starter. MUCH better vape and quality than what you got for the same money.

http://www.perfectvaping.ie/batteries/joyetech-batteries/ego-aio-quick-start-kit-by-joyetech.html

Plenty of Irish vendors have juices, can't think off top of my head which will have juices where you select the VG/PG ratio, you'll just have to shop around. That site I linked there, with the AIO has juices too, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

First off, congratulations for making a great decision - to vape rather than smoke.

I'd agree with Thecageyone - I got an AIO as a backup and for the car, and it's ideal as a starter. It gives good vapour and flavour and is dead simple to use - just fill and go. The Liqua Q is probably designed for Liqua juices (high pg), so probably won't perform as well with high vg.

It can be hard to get 12mg nicotine/high vg juices without mixing your own
    If you want to buy juices premade, you'll have to hunt around. I know Freshcig/Onepoundliquid is about 50/50, but that's the highest VG I am aware of at 12mg off the shelf.
    http://www.bestcigliquid.co.uk/ - these guys will make what you want if you really need full customisation. I got some from them before. The trouble is their business model may not be around much longer due to the Tobacco Products Directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

You should have come in here when pondering on what to start with. That kit isn't very good I'm sorry to say. I'd suggest something like the joytech AIO to a starter. MUCH better vape and quality than what you got for the same money.

http://www.perfectvaping.ie/batteries/joyetech-batteries/ego-aio-quick-start-kit-by-joyetech.html

Plenty of Irish vendors have juices, can't think off top of my head which will have juices where you select the VG/PG ratio, you'll just have to shop around. That site I linked there, with the AIO has juices too, for starters.

Much Obliged just ordered one - don't have a clue about vaping at all, but it was cheap enough to try. Are things like coils standard sizes or do I need to get device specific parts?

Nate

The coils are specific to the tank, for the AIO you can use either dedicated AIO coils or you can use the ones for the Joytech Cubis. You should get a couple of coils with the device. Each coil should be good for a couple of weeks if you're not switching flavours often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 colmsimons20

Thanks for the reply all, didn't expect to see so many.
    Okay so I have made the decision to invest in a different vape and leave the Liqua Q behind. Is it possible to buy different screw on heads for the AIO? I'm looking for something I can totally customize to my needs for the price range of 50 - 80.
    I would like to be able to create alot of vape, customize the clearomizer and the mouth piece to the specific size I require and works well with VG juices.
    If anyone knows of anything for around that price range that can do all that please drop it below.

There's some nice kits in that range, but you need a separate charger and batteries for most of them. That's an extra expense, but a worthwhile investment if you're dedicated. The likes of the Eleaf Pico kit, or the Evic mini TC - I use both of these as a long term vaper, but I would easily recommend either to even the newest vaper. They're easy to use, you only need use the standard modes for starters, but they also have TC modes that you can look into later on.

The AIO is a pretty simple device. It's suitable for beginners because there's no fuss, no worrying about controls or settings. Just stick a coil in, fill it, and vape away. You can change the coils, and there is a rebuild-able coil available for it [the Cubis RBA works with the AIO too] that's about all there is to it. By the sounds of it, you'll want something a little more future proof, for when you get more advanterous and want to maybe build coils, use dripping attys etc. In that case either of the kits I mentioned above will be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

+1 for AIO. got one today.

Great device with a lovely flavor, decent clouds and VERY good price. Perfect for me starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

The evic doesn't need a separate charger and the bat usually comes with them although you'd want to check that it does.

AthAnRi wrote: »
    +1 for AIO. got one today.

Great device with a lovely flavor, decent clouds and VERY good price. Perfect for me starting out.

They changed the Kimree set for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

They changed the Kimree set for you?

Haven't been in yet. Heading in tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

There's some nice kits in that range, but you need a separate charger and batteries for most of them. That's an extra expense, but a worthwhile investment if you're dedicated. The likes of the Eleaf Pico kit,

I've heard mixed thoughts on the Eleaf range. Went into my local vape shop yesterday and they recommended me the Eleaf 40W TC Box Mod. They showed me what it's capable of, cloud wise and taste wise. Which turned out to pretty much be exactly what I'm looking for. He told me it would be a fine first mod for a beginner. But I'd rather have someone here be able to back that up?

I mean if he sold me the Liqua Q which turns out isn't the greatest set, could it turn out the Eleaf 40W isn't the greatest either?
    I just want to know if its durable and would last me awhile?

Also another big newbie question but do you still need to change the coils when it comes to box mods?

Cheers for all the replies lads! Never realized just how useful Boards is!

The istick 40w is ok, the Pico is the most solid they've made to date though. I didn't like the iStick 20 or 30w, I believe the 40w is much like the 30w only with temp control. The Pico would future proof you a little better. It can still be used as basically as you like, but it'll go to 75w, and has a more up to date TC mode. If having an onboard battery is important for you, then look at something like the coolfire IV or the cuboid mini

I've heard mixed thoughts on the Eleaf range. Went into my local vape shop yesterday and they recommended me the Eleaf 40W TC Box Mod. They showed me what it's capable of, cloud wise and taste wise. Which turned out to pretty much be exactly what I'm looking for. He told me it would be a fine first mod for a beginner. But I'd rather have someone here be able to back that up?

I mean if he sold me the Liqua Q which turns out isn't the greatest set, could it turn out the Eleaf 40W isn't the greatest either?

Also another big newbie question but do you still need to change the coils when it comes to box mods?

I have the iStick tc60w, which is big brother to the 40w (higher power and changeable batteries). I'm very happy with it, and it is suitable for a beginner, and will serve you well as you develop your vaping expertise.

However, what's as important is the tank you go for, and you may spend a bit of time searching for what you really want. I vape mouth to lung, like a cigarette. Certain tanks suit that well. Others vape by direct lung, drawing the vapour directly into their lungs. This is best done by a different set of tanks.

Where the AIO mentioned above excels is that it is plonked straight in the middle - it's a competent mouth-to-lung, and a competent direct lung device. It will allow you to try both. It's also dead simple to use, with no customisation, but gives you enough of a learning curve to get started, and is damned cheap. When you do move on to a mod (probably in a couple of weeks) it will serve as a great backup/out'n'about vape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

You mention,Also another big newbie question but do you still need to change the coils when it comes to box mods?
    Box Mods don't have coils,a box mod is only the engine (battery) that runs an atomizer inside of a tank,all coils need to be changed eventually.
    I would go for the Pico because it can also upgrade the firmware,also,you get a Melo 3 with it.
    Check it out on Youtube for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Eleaf are very reliable and have served me well the past few years. I have the 20w,30w and 40w and in regards to battery life, they all last atleast one day if not more at 11-12watts.

As dipstick has said, in regards to batteries - they don't require any coil. The tank on the other hand does and each coil has a different lasting time.

What is the name of the tank you purchased along with the 40w istick? As soon as we have the name of the tank, we can give you info on where to purchase them :)

As dipstick has said, in regards to batteries - they don't require any coil. The tank on the other hand does and each coil has a different lasting time.

What is the name of the tank you purchased along with the 40w istick? As soon as we have the name of the tank, we can give you info on where to purchase them :)

So does that mean the coil is built into each tank? Would I need to replace a tank each time the coil gets burnt out? Seems like alot of money to be spending if that's the case?

I didn't purchase it just yet, told him I'd do my own research and come back again once I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Would there be much difference from the 60tc and the 40tc model as far as clouds go?
    Also I'm seeing online that the battery is sold separate? How much extra would I need to shell out for the battery? Not seeing being sold anywhere.

So does that mean the coil is built into each tank? Would I need to replace a tank each time the coil gets burnt out? Seems like alot of money to be spending if that's the case?

I didn't purchase it just yet, told him I'd do my own research and come back again once I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Would there be much difference from the 60tc and the 40tc model as far as clouds go?
    Also I'm seeing online that the battery is sold separate for the 60tc model? How much extra would I need to shell out for the battery? Not seeing being sold anywhere.

Also I'm seeing online that the battery is sold separate for the 60tc model? How much extra would I need to shell out for the battery? Not seeing being sold anywhere.

Each tank uses a specific set of coils. When they are burned out, you can change the coil, and off you go again. Generally they last a couple of weeks, but that can vary. They usually cost in the 2-4 euro range.

The 60w gives you a higher max power and a different form factor, that's all. Batteries are 18650 size and generally cost in the 8-10 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

The coil screws into the tank base,you only replace the coil & get some spare coils when buying.
    Built in batteries only need charging with a micro usb cable which comes with the kit.
    External batteries like the 18650 battery which costs a tenner,you will also require a charger.
    So the istick 40w would be the cheapest way out.

• Advertisement

The coil screws into the tank base,you only replace the coil & get some spare coils when buying.
    Built in batteries only need charging with a micro usb cable which comes with the kit.
    External batteries like the 18650 battery which costs a tenner,you will also require a charger.
    So the istick 40w would be the cheapest way out.

Ah yes, so I would only have to continue buying coils like I normally do, thats grand.

Yeah I am on abit of a budget and the fact the 40tc comes with a battery I reckon that's the road I might take unless....
    I looked into the Cuboid Mini which I really like. Cant find out if I can use different clearomizers/heads/mouthpieces with it though if anyone knows?

Ah yes, so I would only have to continue buying coils like I normally do, thats grand.

Yeah I am on abit of a budget and the fact the 40tc comes with a battery I reckon that's the road I might take unless....
    I looked into the Cuboid Mini which I really like. Cant find out if I can use different clearomizers/heads/mouthpieces with it though if anyone knows?

You can use any tank on the cuboid mini yup. Try to find the express kit for it, if you don't want the tank that comes with it. It'll work out cheaper for you.

Like this here: I don't know anything about this store though, was just first one came up for me searchin for cuboid mini express kit:

http://e-cigaretteshop.eu/en/mods/1024-cuboid-mini-express-kit-.html

You can use any tank on the cuboid mini yup. Try to find the express kit for it, if you don't want the tank that comes with it. It'll work out cheaper for you.

Like this here: I don't know anything about this store though, was just first one came up for me searchin for cuboid mini express kit:

Nice one. Could you recommend any tanks for it? I keep seeing "510 Threads" on certain vapes. What does this mean? That certain tanks that are 510 threaded work along with it or something?

Most tanks out there now are 510 thread, so don't worry about that. Are you after a mouth to lung, tight draw tank? or an airy, straight to lung, sub ohm set up?

For MTL, I'm not too sure what to suggest, as I havent used any tanks like that in well over a year. For sub ohm tanks, I think you'll find it very hard to beat the Cleito.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

Nice one. Could you recommend any tanks for it? I keep seeing "510 Threads" on certain vapes. What does this mean? That certain tanks that are 510 threaded work along with it or something?

This is all you will need as it comes with a tank, and you will need some spare coils:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014483/4556200-authentic-joyetech-cuboid-mini-80w-2400mah-tc-vw

I persoanlly would recommend the following because of a few different reasons:
    1. Much longer lasting battery.
    2. More noob friendly vaping experience imo.
    3. Cheap coils

Battery kit:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011027/2152103-authentic-eleaf-istick-50w-4400mah-vw-vv-apv-box

Tank:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009821/1861801-authentic-aspire-nautilus-bvc-clearomizer-5-0ml

Spare coils:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009799/1859402-authentic-aspire-nautilus-mini-bvc-clearomizer

Note the site I used takes roughly a month for purchases to arrive. They are super cheap, but slow. You can get all the above locally too I'm sure, but at a higher price.

Or if you want to go super cheap and still have a good vaping experience then you could go with the following.

Tank and battery kit
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10016076/3161700-authentic-eleaf-istick-tc40w-2600mah-variable

Coils:
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/2906100

I would tend to not recommend sub ohm vaping for beginners. They can be quite strong.

Most tanks out there now are 510 thread, so don't worry about that. Are you after a mouth to lung, tight draw tank? or an airy, straight to lung, sub ohm set up?

For MTL, I'm not too sure what to suggest, as I havent used any tanks like that in well over a year. For sub ohm tanks, I think you'll find it very hard to beat the Cleito.

I'm pretty much after an MTL tank. Never really pulled straight to lungs even as a smoker.

Sorry, I'm still getting used to all these new terms and I get confused at times but what exactly does it mean for a battery or a tank to be 510 threaded? If a battery is 510 threaded does that mean it will work with any 510 threaded tank?

If a battery is 510 threaded does that mean it will work with any 510 threaded tank?

100% correct :) 510 connection is the standard threading for most batteries/tanks.

It will always state whether or not the battery or tank is 510 threading. Majority of all are both 510. Any other questions fire ahead!

• Advertisement

Sorry for the bombardment of links but this set up is what I would recommend (delivery takes about 2/3 working days).

Tank - Aspire Nautilus - http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/clearomizers/416-aspire-nautilus.html

Replacement coils for the Nautilus: http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/clearomizers/469-aspire-nautilus-bvc-replacement-coil-head.html

Battery - Eleaf iStick TC40W - http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/604-eleaf-istick-tc40w-express-kit.html

Buy 2/3 coils at first and see how long each last, every coil has different lasting times! Great MTL kit.
    Both the tank and battery are 510 connection so no problems :)

Advertisement