Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Workstation & Gaming Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ED E wrote: »
    The bad name 265 gets is from people posting a 1GB 720P 264 at 200MB with 265.

I figured it was something like this. I've never done any real testing myself, aside from a few quick and dirty encodes when I wanted to send myself something over crappy WiFi.

(It's actually faster to have the server transcode a 2GB TV episode to a 200MB 265 file, and send that, than it is to send the original, and it looks surprisingly decent too).

How's the noise with those AIOs? Temps decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've been playing with cooling/tweaking. Annoying bit is if I push the BCLK (for fun) too much the CMOS reset is via a jumper in the most awkward place ever.

The corsair 140mms that were included are probably better than the Enermax ones but wont fit the rad. They seem pretty quiet at lower RPMs but buzz at higher speeds.

YCupqft.png

Thats with relatively high RPMs but I've only tried 100, 70 and 30 %. Pumps seem ok, you can hear them on bootup but then its only really the fans I notice.

Bump for an important note to any potential Z10PE-x buyers.

The Z10PE-D16 has a 2x M.2 Port while the Z10PE-D8 has a 4x M.2 Port. I missed the significance of that when shopping. Nobody wants to run their shiny 950 Pro through a bottleneck.

8H4spIh.pngl5NIBze.pngw6ufNXK.png

2x fast reads really warrants that £17 adapter card. Doesnt look nearly as clean though.

Oh, and this is what 2400CB points looks like (Not as fast as linus' but I can live with that)
    vNeRBK5.gif

You jammy ****er.

Makes me want to do a new build (I've been mostly unimpressed with recent stuff, so haven't bothered).

What's NVME like? Do you actually notice anything in terms of general use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

ED E - what OS did you go for in the end?

I'm about to commence a new build and have been on W7 Pro for many years - very happy with it - but this new computer is going to be on the go for most likely 8+ years and much as I'd like to think it'll be wiped and rebuilt every year - it won't!

Unfortunately I don't have access to developer licenses so I'm going to have to stump up for something!

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »

What's NVME like? Do you actually notice anything in terms of general use?

TBH I think storage tech has moved so far on in the last 5yrs that its just way ahead of the rest of the system. I haven't yet seen a case where they're pushed fully outside of CDN/Webcache use. My old 830 was stuck on a Sata2 3Gb port so any change is a biiiig jump anyways.
    ED E - what OS did you go for in the end?

I'm about to commence a new build and have been on W7 Pro for many years - very happy with it - but this new computer is going to be on the go for most likely 8+ years and much as I'd like to think it'll be wiped and rebuilt every year - it won't!

Unfortunately I don't have access to developer licenses so I'm going to have to stump up for something!

Using Server 2016 (A preview build) pretty happily. Its Windows 10 with a lot less crap. Few niggles with software but everything has been easy to fix so far. Cinebench thinks its S2012 btw as not every application will recognise the OS string yet.

I'd love if 7 was viable now, but the risk of unpatched 0Days is too significant and no DX 12. Grab 10 then customize it to a usable state (eg enable manual update controls).

God f*cking damn you Linus

Current board: https://www.asus.com/ie/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z10PED16_WS/
    Younger brother: https://www.asus.com/ie/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/WS-C621E-SAGE/

New board: €590
    Chips: Price of a new beamer...

Note:
    Old - 16 x DIMM, Max. 1024GB, DDR4 2400/2133/1866/1600 MHz RDIMM, LR-DIMM Memory
    New - 12 x DIMM, Max. 768GB, DDR4 2666/2400 MHz RDIMM, LR-DIMM Memory :(

When 768GB isn't enough. Talk about first world problems.

Also, no IPMI. They can keep their board.
    From using X399 for a while now, I don't think I could bring myself to by a board that doesn't have it.

Well spotted, totally missed that.

Advertisement