Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme budget of for gaming.

Options
  • 20-05-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

My friend is looking for a PC for his sons birthday so he can mostly play Fifa 16 on but I'm sure he will play other games too.
    He wanted to buy one off the shelf but can't afford it.
    I suggested this build for him.
    A10-7850k APU
    8gb 2133 DDR3 RAM

I know it's very basic, buy when a case is added and postage paid it only comes to 275.
    I saw this video on JaysTwoCents and it looks good enough for what he wants (maybe even better that he requires)
    What do you guys think, could you do better for the price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking. You've made a build for €275, or you want suggestions on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Sorry, link to build didn't post. Its there now.
    Let me know what you think

Personally that's something along the lines that I'd do - AMD APU but others may disagree.

Thought about a second hand rig?

Thought about a second hand rig?

He's not interested in second d hand as it's a birthday present for his son and wants a warranty with the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd drop the HDD for an SSD just for handieness, but yeah an APU is probably grand

• Advertisement

As PC gamers we seem to get obsessed with maxing everything out at 1080p and above but I really do wonder what one needs to spend to have and Xbone/PS4 level experience? What res do they run at? 720 or are they now 1080i/p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If he's playing FIFA 16 then it would be fine.

If he suddenly decides he wants to play GTA V, Call of Duty or similar, it's rubbish and isn't very upgradable - even with a better graphics card that processor is very slow.

Realistically there are no other options at that price point other than accept it'll only ever be good for stuff like Fifa, Minecraft, Counter Strike, etc - or else put more money into it to make it more suited to accommodate better games down the line.

If you're satisfied that he'll only be playing FIFA and similar titles it's plenty powerful.

As PC gamers we seem to get obsessed with maxing everything out at 1080p and above but I really do wonder what one needs to spend to have and Xbone/PS4 level experience? What res do they run at? 720 or are they now 1080i/p?

i3-4170 and GTX750/GTX750Ti would be similar performance broadly speaking.

Might be better now at some titles, but over the next year or so the balance will shift towards the consoles again.

Most games run at 900P or 1080P.

1080p30, occasionally 900p30 aand rarely 720p60

An i3 with a 950 will normally trump a console

Thanks for your answers guys.
    I think the SSD would be a good idea.
    What I'm getting for it is that its grand for Fifa, CS, Minecraft but would struggle with a AAA title.
    I'd recommend he get a 720 monitor and keep it running at that res.

Do you think adding a R7 250 in crossfire in the future would be worth it if he wanted to play a few more demanding games?

• Advertisement

Blackgator wrote: »
    Thanks for your answers guys.
    I think the SSD would be a good idea.
    What I'm getting for it is that its grand for Fifa, CS, Minecraft but would struggle with a AAA title.
    I'd recommend he get a 720 monitor and keep it running at that res.

Do you think adding a R7 250 in crossfire in the future would be worth it if he wanted to play a few more demanding games?

Crossfire is a massive pain in the arse.

To be honest I'd run with that for 18 months or so until Zen and the new range of APUs are out, then scrap the guts and start again. Another reason to go with an SSD and a half decent case and PSU which you'll reuse.

Adding a separate card would help in a lot of cases but not as much in others as the CPU is fundamentally quite low end and a game can only perform as fast as the slowest component in the system. With that processor you are paying for the fact that it is an APU - the integrated graphics are good as integrated graphics go, but the overall CPU is slow.

So no matter what card you put into it, certain new titles would still run quite poorly due to a processor bottleneck. It really depends on the games.

Most games would still be playable, just not at great framerates - at the moment most new AAA titles on just that machine with it's integrated graphics alone would not be playable in any form. FIFA and the like will be fine as it's not demanding at all.

A €120 Intel i3-6100 would be literally twice as fast and it's integrated graphics are OK for stuff like FIFA too - maybe consider that? Way, way more future proof and add a card later and you'd be able to sail through all the latest games effortlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CEX has an older HD 7850
    https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SGRAATI78502GB

Which is AFAIK more powerful than a 750 ti.

Ultra Budget PC
    €288.69 + case + shipping

Graphics card Radeon HD7850 2GB €85.00 (used @ CEX)
    CPU AMD 860K €67.85 (new @ mindfactory.de)
    CPU cooler (included)
    Motherboard MSI A78M-E45 V2 mATX €55.55 (new @ mindfactory.de)
    RAM 4Gb DDR3-1866 €16.00 (new @ mindfactory.de)
    Case (whatever you want)
    Power supply be quiet! System Power 8 400w €39.44 (new @ mindfactory.de)
    HDD WD3200AVVS 320Gb €24.85 (new @ mindfactory.de)

Would blow OP's system out of the water.

*Explanation for component choices*
    HD7850 is a older mid-high end 2Gb GDDR5 card and should outperform everything in the sub-€100 bracket.

860K is the A10-7850K without the iGPU.

Motherboard should pair well with the CPU & is listed in Tier One on the FM2+ motherboard tier list.

4Gb RAM as this is a budget build. DDR3-1866 is same price as DDR3-1600 right now.
    Case choice is up to OP, the mobo is mATX.

PSU is a high-quality budget model (review here).

No budget for SSD.

How would a Pentium handle the likes of Fifa?

How would a Pentium handle the likes of Fifa?
    Depends on the exact chip.

A G3258 is a very good budget CPU.

I went with AMD 860K in the example build as the good motherboards for it are cheaper.

You're better going with an Intel Pentium, a G4400 or older G3240.

With the 860K you have no real upgrade platform and you'll still be ham-stringed in major AAA titles going forward, but by going Intel S1150 or S1151 the sky's the limit with upgrades.

Advertisement