Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son off to USA for Summer...what Insurance does he need??

• 20-05-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭

Hi All...

he off on a J1 for June, July & August.

I have him covered on my VHI Family plan - which I need to contact VHI to see what cover its extends to USA.

However - should I get a separate policy for him???

What is recommended out there...and what should I look for specifically to be included in any new policy??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not an expert on the VHI plan and haven't read the Ts & Cs in their policy document but the important things to consider when it comes to travel insurance of the type that your son will need is that the insurer knows (1) that the person insured will be working and is not just on a holiday (2) that it includes cover for medical treatment in the US (or does not explicitly exclude US cover) with a specified upper limit in the order of a few million dollars or so and (3) that there isn't a time limit that your son would fall foul of - another way of saying that he has cover beyond regular holiday insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I must confirm this for my own son, but I understand that health insurance is included under the costs charged by the visa company - its a mandatory requirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Is it a J1?

Your son's travel company (possibly USIT?) should have insurance specific for J1 students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it a J1?

Your son's travel company (possibly USIT?) should have insurance specific for J1 students.

He didn't mention that to me... I must chase him on that. Save me a few bob if already done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My son went to the States last month on a J1 and insurance was included in the package. It was a good policy ( I work in insurance). If you take out a different cover, make sure his work or social activities are not excluded. VERY important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

don't skimp on the insurance masala, the states is not a place to need medical help!! i had a compound fracture a few years back, ended up costing me over 30k. insurance covered it thankfully but 5 years after i came home i had a debt collection agency contact me as they said it wasn't sorted even though it had been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

homer911 wrote: »
    I must confirm this for my own son, but I understand that health insurance is included under the costs charged by the visa company - its a mandatory requirement

My son is travelling with SAYIT and seems to be well covered through Blue Insurance

https://www.blueinsurance.ie/common/13_Blue_J1_Policy_DL_V2_NoAd_LR.pdf

Advertisement