Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua Job Path

Options
  • 20-05-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I don't see any posts for Turas Nua . I am interested to know the experience of others on this scheme .
    I started a few months ago and had 3 one to one sessions with a facilitator .I was aked personal questions which I did not answer as they have to authority to do so .
    I am 60 so they now put me on a 5 week program 3 hours a week . The object is to give me confidence and find my hidden skills . They always seem to be watching for your reaction and any negative response noted . I expect they will make a report about me to welfare .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You'd think they'd just leave you the **** alone at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

kneemos wrote: »
    You'd think they'd just leave you the **** alone at 60.

Why?! Sixty is young these days. Plenty of hup skhip left in your average 60yo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

s4uv3 wrote: »

Plenty of youngsters out there with hidden skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

s4uv3 wrote: »

Do you ever see any working in retail or services unless they are the owner .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

rgossip30 wrote: »

Yes, quite a few, why?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunnes, Tesco, Penneys....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

if you are claiming jobseekers it means you are actively seeking work, perhaps you should ask for a different payment or dip into your private pension early so as not to be wasting the people at DSP and Turas Nua's time.

turas nua are there to assist you in gaining employment and then supporting you in said employment, if you find a job yourself youw ill solve your own problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I personally haven't been to them, but I do know two people who have, as well as one person who works for them.

From what I've gathered they are doing the JobPath program, which is getting the long term unemployed into work, but not just a JobBridge type scam, but an actual full time job.

The two lads I know who went to them both ended up with decent jobs, nothing mind blowing obviously, but they helped them out in terms of how to do an interview, writing a good CV and getting them out and about in to work.

The woman I know who works there doesn't speak about it much, but from what I've gathered they are basically just handed a load of people from JSB and told to try and get them into work, and the ages seem to range from 20 to 60 as well as helping out Irish people and non-Irish who live here.

Can't really fault it, especially compared to JobBridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Moved from After Hours.

Make sure you read the charter before posting.

if you are claiming jobseekers it means you are actively seeking work, perhaps you should ask for a different payment or dip into your private pension early so as not to be wasting the people at DSP and Turas Nua's time.

turas nua are there to assist you in gaining employment and then supporting you in said employment, if you find a job yourself youw ill solve your own problem.

What makes you think I am wasting peoples time ? I don't need to be lectured by someone that has no direct connection or maybe you work for them . There are some that just seem content to do courses only .

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dunnes, Tesco, Penneys....

In my area I only see a few and I have no retail experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

What makes you think I am wasting peoples time ? I don't need to be lectured by someone that has no direct connection or maybe you work for them .

i dont have a direct connection with them and dont work for them.

and im not lecturing, you asked for peoples experience, my experience with organisations like this is they are there to help, its not a giant conspiracy, they are trying to get you back to work so you can be a contributing member society again.

youve stated:
    started a few months ago and had 3 one to one sessions with a facilitator .I was aked personal questions which I did not answer as they have to authority to do so .

what kind of questions? in general these questions are to find out how to help you out in terms of getting you a job that suits you.
    there no need to be difficult they are doing their job which is to get you back to work. refusing to answer questions they are asking you isnt just rude is pointless and is a waste of theirs and your time.
    I am 60 so they now put me on a 5 week program 3 hours a week . The object is to give me confidence and find my hidden skills .

is it working? are you getting anything from the programme? are you finding you are getting more responses to your job applications?
    They always seem to be watching for your reaction and any negative response noted . I expect they will make a report about me to welfare .

they do report to welfare and have the ability to cut social welfare payments to people who are deemed to be not engaging with the process.

sorry just saw your edit,
    yes they do put people on courses but their main function is to improve your job prospects and get you back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I am 6 weeks away from my 62nd birthday, an age when I no longer have to 'engage' with the welfare as I am deemed to be too difficult to find work for.

I was last month sent a letter by Teras nua while in hospital with a serious illness, to attend a meeting with them and when I was discharged from hospital with a medical certificate I went to see them and they had very little sympathy for my age or illness. It was only when I went to the DSP office who advised me to apply for Disability allowance so that Teras Nua would then leave me alone.

Teras Nua may be doing a good job getting people back to work, but they show very little sympathy for those who are ill or over 60 and who are realistically unlikely to ever be employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You were in receipt of a jobseekers allowance payment and were referred to Turas Nua by DSP. In fairness Turas Nua would have no idea of knowing that you were in hospital (hopefully you are recovering well) unless you had notified DSP and DSP notified Turas Nua. Once you are still 61 when referred to Turas Nua then you have to engage with them for 12 months. Its also good to see that you werent excluded on age grounds from availing of this newish initiative from the DSP. Ageism should be frowned upon. You can apply for illness benefit straight away or as your local DSP office advise apply for DA. Its important that your local DSP office notify Turas Nua when you make your application for DA.

So at 61 years and 11 months old I am required to 'engage' with Turas Nua including several trips a week of 30 kms round trip to their offices for a whole year, but if I was a month older I would be exempt due to my age?

In any case Turus Nua knew about my illness because I presented them with medical certificates. They then insisted I bring them in every week to their office even though I can barely walk and will be in this condition for some time. It was only when I completed a disability application in front of their eyes that they agreed to back off.

Fortunately for me my local DSP are sympathetic to my situation. They are ultimately responsible for my case but the idea of them farming out their responsibility to a foreign company that is only interested in making their commission, regardless of their clients situation, does not seem like a very good policy to me.

Nomis if you had presented to your local DSP first and informed them of your situation they would have been able to advise and let Turas Nua know that your were ill and had applied for another SW payment which would have deemed you ineligible for activation with Turas Nua. Also Turas Nua isnt a foreign company ( dont know where you got that info from but its incorrect)

Unfortunately that is not the case in my local office. They sent me to Turas Nua to explain everything to them myself!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/jobpath-to-deploy-1-000-caseworkers-1.1959745

"As revealed by The Irish Times yesterday, the department has selected British recruitment firm Seetec and a consortium known as Turas Nua, comprising Irish recruiter FRS and UK company Working Links, to run the programme."

OK only half foreign :pac:

Nomis...its unfortunate that your local office sent you to Turas Nua to explain everything to them yourself... this should not be the case... once you were going to apply for a different social welfare payment there was no need for you to go to Turas Nua. The onus was on your local office to inform Turas Nua to your change of circumstances. In relation to Turas Nua they are part Irish and part Uk company... Seetec is totally Uk company AFAIK. The main thing is that your are not sorted and have applied for DA and no longer need to engage with Turas Nua until a decision is made on your DA application. Keep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not the case in my local office. They sent me to Turas Nua to explain everything to them myself!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/jobpath-to-deploy-1-000-caseworkers-1.1959745

"As revealed by The Irish Times yesterday, the department has selected British recruitment firm Seetec and a consortium known as Turas Nua, comprising Irish recruiter FRS and UK company Working Links, to run the programme."

OK only half foreign :pac:

Does it really matter where part of the company comes from? From my own reading of Working Links in the UK it's been rather successful overall.

Let's be honest here, we all use services provided by non-Irish companies like Debenhams, Tesco, Apple, Samsung, Three, Vodafone and literally hundreds more.

Let's be honest, the new system isn't perfect, but it seems a damn site better than JobBridge.

It does matter when they are accused of fraud in another country...

"Working Links accused of engaging in systemic fraud by former chief auditor"

A COMPANY which holds a multi-million-pound contract with the UK Government to find jobs for unemployed people in Wales has been accused of engaging in systemic fraud by its own former chief auditor.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/working-links-accused-engaging-systemic-2031388

• Advertisement

i dont have a direct connection with them and dont work for them.

and im not lecturing, you asked for peoples experience, my experience with organisations like this is they are there to help, its not a giant conspiracy, they are trying to get you back to work so you can be a contributing member society again.

youve stated:

what kind of questions? in general these questions are to find out how to help you out in terms of getting you a job that suits you.
    there no need to be difficult they are doing their job which is to get you back to work. refusing to answer questions they are asking you isnt just rude is pointless and is a waste of theirs and your time.

is it working? are you getting anything from the programme? are you finding you are getting more responses to your job applications?

they do report to welfare and have the ability to cut social welfare payments to people who are deemed to be not engaging with the process.

sorry just saw your edit,
    yes they do put people on courses but their main function is to improve your job prospects and get you back to work.

Ah really they are great and when they ask how is it going you say wonderful .
    I have yet to meet anyone on this scheme that has anything good to say about them in private.
    Yes I have a plan but it will be without any nanny help thanks .
    I was asked do I take drugs ??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭another36

Job path came too late. The numbers are falling on the live register.

The DSP offices and the local partnerships/ development companies that undertake social inclusion programme can offer the same services. They could have given resources to the not for profit sector and asked them to do the same type of intervention.

It was needed 4 years ago when services were over stretched.

I can't see it having a future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement