Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-purpose old PC's?

Options
  • 20-05-2016 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I'm due a run to the tip (sorry recycling centre) to get rid of a whole load of old tech but I have a couple of old very small HP Citrix clients that I feel must have a use. The best one is a HP t5270 500Mhz 512MB with iirc a 512MB soild state drive normal I/O including VGA, ||, serial, ethernet, 8 USB2 etc and I feel there must be something useful I can do with it, so any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Might have a value as antiques rather than to repurpose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I know what you mean. I don't normally hang on to stuff but these are boxes not much bigger than a router with a hole lot more power. That reminds me I did mean to look for a PC version of WRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spose they'd run PFSense if you could install a 2nd nic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Maybe install Kali Linux on them and use them as Internet (only) workstations for a library? They would be struggling to run Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

my3cents wrote: »
    I'm due a run to the tip (sorry recycling centre) to get rid of a whole load of old tech but I have a couple of old very small HP Citrix clients that I feel must have a use. The best one is a HP t5270 500Mhz 512MB with iirc a 512MB soild state drive normal I/O including VGA, ||, serial, ethernet, 8 USB2 etc and I feel there must be something useful I can do with it, so any ideas?

You could use that quite nicely as a Linux box capable of web browsing. Might need another stick of RAM but other than that, there's lots you could do with that processor and SSD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement