Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Vietnam

Options
  • 20-05-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So my girlfriend and I (both 21) are looking to go to Vietnam for a month in July, particularly Ho Chi Minh.

Im just looking for any general advice/tips from anyone who has been there before, but Ive a few questions.

Whats the cheapest route to take to get there? Are there any secret cheap flights from some random European city? I dont really wanna spend more than €400 on flights cause Im budgeting €1000. We're plannng on AirBnbing it so apartment will only cost maybe another €150 each.

Also, how feasible is it to travel to other SEA cities as the flights between Ho Chi Minh ->Bangkok -> Kuala Lumpur -> Singapore are ridiculously cheap (€20-30).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

I think you would be lucky to get flights for 400 euro, I got them for around 650, and that was very good.

Only advice I'd definitely give you is go somewhere else other than Ho Chi Ming! It's fine, but it's a big westernised city, comparable to many others such as Bangkok.

There's so much more to see in Vietnam, id only stay a day or two there.
    Hanoi on the other hand, is different, well worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

No chance of getting flights in july for anywhere near that price, i would say at least double that, july is an expensive time for flights as schools are closed in europe and many go on holiday at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

bubblypop wrote: »
    I think you would be lucky to get flights for 400 euro, I got them for around 650, and that was very good.

Only advice I'd definitely give you is go somewhere else other than Ho Chi Ming! It's fine, but it's a big westernised city, comparable to many others such as Bangkok.

There's so much more to see in Vietnam, id only stay a day or two there.
    Hanoi on the other hand, is different, well worth seeing.

Thanks man Ill look into Hanoi :)

gustafo wrote: »
    No chance of getting flights in july for anywhere near that price, i would say at least double that, july is an expensive time for flights as schools are closed in europe and many go on holiday at that time.

Well its very easy to find flights between €500-600.

Bearing in mind we can fly very cheaply to the likes of London, Venice etc and fly to Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Was in Hanoi last summer, was a good city to see, total culture shock compared to Ireland anyway haha. Recommend Halong Bay and also Hoi An (stay in an upmarket sea front hotel, amazing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A long time ago and went when a Vietnamese friend was visiting home for Christmas so had a local guide but I loved Saigon. Thought it was better and friendlier then the other cities. Most back packers only go to the same tiny area of district one but lot more to it.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    A long time ago and went when a Vietnamese friend was visiting home for Christmas so had a local guide but I loved Saigon. Thought it was better and friendlier then the other cities. Most back packers only go to the same tiny area of district one but lot more to it.

Yeah from what Ive seen online Saigon seems to be the nicest city. Been told by some people to avoid Hanoi but I'll look into it more.

Im thinking about doing Saigon for 6 days -> Bangkok for 5 days -> Kuala Lumpur for 5 days -> Singapore for 5 days.

Flights between those cities will cost less than €100, just gotta figure out what way to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i dont know of any cheap flights,but that itinerary is a disaster.

do you specifically need to spend a long time in a city or are you looking at a map and making an itinerary that looks good.

alot of backpackers follow similar routes. You see a lot of the sights, experiences. Would this interest you ?

TheStook wrote: »
    Yeah from what Ive seen online Saigon seems to be the nicest city. Been told by some people to avoid Hanoi but I'll look into it more.

Im thinking about doing Saigon for 6 days -> Bangkok for 5 days -> Kuala Lumpur for 5 days -> Singapore for 5 days.

Flights between those cities will cost less than €100, just gotta figure out what way to get home.

So long as you realise your missing out on the most beautiful country by just going to these cities.
    Which to be fair are the same.
    Bangkok & Ho Chi Ming could be the same city. Although I did find Ho Chi Ming not quite as bad for traffic fumes as Bangkok.
    Kuala Lumpur & Singapore are not too unlike either.

It depends what your after, anyone that told you to avoid Hanoi has no interest in different cultures or cities!
    If you like your city holidays then you will enjoy, it just seems a shame to go so far & not see any of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

That doesn't sound like a month in Vietnam to me, more like 6 days!?!

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    i dont know of any cheap flights,but that itinerary is a disaster.

do you specifically need to spend a long time in a city or are you looking at a map and making an itinerary that looks good.

alot of backpackers follow similar routes. You see a lot of the sights, experiences. Would this interest you ?

We're in the very early stages of planning tbh so yeah right now it's just looking at the cost of flights between those cities and going with it.

All I know is we have 3 weeks or so and we'd like to fit in as many places as possible as we probably wont have the chance again. I know 5 days or so in each of those places isnt near enough to do them justice but @ €30 or so a flight how could we not pop over to Singapore for a few days etc?

We've only been discussing the idea of it properly very recently so apologies that Im changing from a month to 3 weeks and changing to different cities haha Im just getting excited I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

If your on a budget I would stick to Vietnam and Cambodia. We started in Saigon > Can Tho (for Mekong Delta) > Phu Quoc Island > Siem Reap (For Ankor Wat) > Hoi An > Dong Hoi (Paradise Cave) > Hanoi > Hapong Bay. Got cheap flight back from Hanoi to Saigon to pick up return flight. Much cheaper than an open jaw return from Hanoi as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can only echo what i said here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99774846&postcount=122

So much better places to go in Vietnam than Ho Chi Minh.
    Would second what the above poster said, go to Hanoi, Hoi an and Hai long bay.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Is 3 weeks enough time for that Vietnam ->Cambodia trip?

Also, bar misc items such as clothes, presents etc, is it possible to get by on like €10 a day in Vietnam/Cambodia?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Do a motorbike tour around hue and vinh moc tunnels, ha long bay is stunning, spent a week in and around Hanoi and loved it, sapa in the north is good for trekking

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Is 3 weeks enough time for that Vietnam ->Cambodia trip?

Also, bar misc items such as clothes, presents etc, is it possible to get by on like €10 a day in Vietnam/Cambodia?

Give urself a month, €10 should be fine unless it's gone more expensive since I was there

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    If your on a budget I would stick to Vietnam and Cambodia. We started in Saigon > Can Tho (for Mekong Delta) > Phu Quoc Island > Siem Reap (For Ankor Wat) > Hoi An > Dong Hoi (Paradise Cave) > Hanoi > Hapong Bay. Got cheap flight back from Hanoi to Saigon to pick up return flight. Much cheaper than an open jaw return from Hanoi as far as I remember

Really liking the look of that route, how did you get from Phu quoc to Siem reap though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Def don't spend too much time in HCMC, it's not all that interesting, Hanoi is far nicer. We paid 1,000 for flight in July a few years ago so 400 is very optimistic. Also hotels are quite cheap so don't rule them out. Don't miss Hanoi, Hoi An, Ha Long bay and Sapa. Flew into Hanoi and out of HCMC, we had nothing booked in advance except the hotel in Hanoi and a Halong bay trip. Wi gif is everywhere so we booked as we went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Thinking the same myself for July , just wounded what's the weather is like then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thinking the same myself for July , just wounded what's the weather is like then

Amazing. We were there for almost a month, a typhoon arrived so 3 days of unbelievable rain but otherwise it was amazing. Over 30 degrees everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sleepy_head3

hey there

I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia before - would have liked longer but what can you do when that's most of your annual leave gone!

Didn't like Hanoi to be honest but spent a day there before going to Halong Bay which you definitely have to do!! Hoi An is also a must. Nha Trang is good if you are looking for beaches for a few days.

HCMC was great I thought - we did day trips from there to the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong Delta (we were originally going to do a 2 day trip to the Mekong Delta and glad we didn't..it was good but a day is enough).

We booked the Halong bay boat trip before we left Ireland but everything else we booked as went along.

Would have loved to have time to fit in Sapa.

Because we only had 3 weeks, we took internal flights around Vietnam but got the bus into Cambodia and spent a few days in both Phnom Penh and Siam Reap.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Hey all sorry to hijack, am also planning a SE Asia trip at the moment. Vietnam will be the end of our trip and at the moment it looks like I'll have up to 30 days for Vietnam and flying back to Dublin from Hanoi. My question is regarding Visas.

I'll be travelling Thailand beforehand and had planned on going to Cambodia then into Vietnam, working our way up to Hanoi (potentially crossing the border into Laos for Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang - I know we'll need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam to do this).

Would we be best doing a Cambodia loop and back to Bangkok, then flying into Ho Chi Min or is it possible to cross the Vietnam border and obtain a Visa on Arrival that way?

I have read mixed reports about Visa on Arrival and it seems it is only available in airports?

thesto wrote: »
    Hey all sorry to hijack, am also planning a SE Asia trip at the moment. Vietnam will be the end of our trip and at the moment it looks like I'll have up to 30 days for Vietnam and flying back to Dublin from Hanoi. My question is regarding Visas.

I'll be travelling Thailand beforehand and had planned on going to Cambodia then into Vietnam, working our way up to Hanoi (potentially crossing the border into Laos for Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang - I know we'll need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam to do this).

Would we be best doing a Cambodia loop and back to Bangkok, then flying into Ho Chi Min or is it possible to cross the Vietnam border and obtain a Visa on Arrival that way?

I have read mixed reports about Visa on Arrival and it seems it is only available in airports?

Im 90% sure its only in airports. And make sure you have dollars cause they only accept them for some reason.

Have a great time in Vietnam, Im only home 2 weeks, so jealous!

Make sure and visit Hoi An. Its absolutely beautiful!

Im 90% sure its only in airports. And make sure you have dollars cause they only accept them for some reason.

Have a great time in Vietnam, Im only home 2 weeks, so jealous!

Make sure and visit Hoi An. Its absolutely beautiful!

I'll do some more research and weigh up the different costs.

At the moment looks like you can get a one-way flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Min City for approx 30 so that plus the Visa on Arrival may well work out cheaper than the embassy multi-entry visa and crossing the border by bus. If it's a case of pennies I'll just go with whatever makes most sense, don't fancy backtracking needlessly.

Thanks - happy to take anyone else advice that they have!

I'll do some more research and weigh up the different costs.

At the moment looks like you can get a one-way flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Min City for approx 30 so that plus the Visa on Arrival may well work out cheaper than the embassy multi-entry visa and crossing the border by bus. If it's a case of pennies I'll just go with whatever makes most sense, don't fancy backtracking needlessly.

Thanks - happy to take anyone else advice that they have!

I think you'd be much better off flying to be honest. It wont work out much more expensive and its so much easier. Some of the buses over there are nasty.

As for general advice, all I can think of right now is to take out plenty of money and keep it safe as most of the atms will charge a €4/5 fee which is annoying when youre only taking out 20/30 at a time.

Edit - Another thing which I found annoying was the fact that all airports in Nam have no bus information online but rest assured all of them have shuttle buses outside them which are infinitely cheaper then taxis or a shuttle bus organised by your hostel/hotel.
    In Hanoi for example, a taxi is €15+ to get from the airport to the centre but if you go out to the right there will be a man working for the bus company and youll get a one for like €1 or something silly

I think you'd be much better off flying to be honest. It wont work out much more expensive and its so much easier. Some of the buses over there are nasty.

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

Provisional itinerary right now looks something like this Bangkok > Koh Chang > Ko Kut > Cambodia ... sorry to hammer on about this but I'm interested to hear your thoughts...would you really backtrack to Bangkok to then fly to Vietnam rather than keep that Eastern trajectory and continue into Vietnam over land? Flights from Phnom Penh seem considerably more expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

Provisional itinerary right now looks something like this Bangkok > Koh Chang > Ko Kut > Cambodia ... sorry to hammer on about this but I'm interested to hear your thoughts...would you really backtrack to Bangkok to then fly to Vietnam rather than keep that Eastern trajectory and continue into Vietnam over land? Flights from Phnom Penh seem considerably more expensive!

I did this in feb-march this year only in reverse.
    If you cross from cambodia to vietnam by land you will need a pre arranged visa
    but by air a VOA will do.
    Bangkok seems to be the hub for flying in indochina.Its the cheapest too.
    Make sure you have dollars when you land in vietnam,there was a few people in hanoi airport without any.They wont let you in without visa payment.

I did...Bangkok-Chiang mai-pai-Chiang mai-Bangkok-Hanoi-Da nang-hoi an-HCMC-phnom pehn-sihanoukville-koh chang-Bangkok.

It was all bus and train bar Bangkok-Hanoi-Da nang-HCMC.

Booked all these flights a week before I flew.

I ended up in Bangkok three times during the trip,no bad thing as it was my favourite city.Pai and koh chang being my favourite places.

stratowide wrote: »
    I did this in feb-march this year only in reverse.
    If you cross from cambodia to vietnam by land you will need a pre arranged visa
    but by air a VOA will do.
    Bangkok seems to be the hub for flying in indochina.Its the cheapest too.
    Make sure you have dollars when you land in vietnam,there was a few people in hanoi airport without any.They wont let you in without visa payment.

I did...Bangkok-Chiang mai-pai-Chiang mai-Bangkok-Hanoi-Da nang-hoi an-HCMC-phnom pehn-sihanoukville-koh chang-Bangkok.

It was all bus and train bar Bangkok-Hanoi-Da nang-HCMC.

Booked all these flights a week before I flew.

I ended up in Bangkok three times during the trip,no bad thing as it was my favourite city.Pai and koh chang being my favourite places.

How did you find Da Nang out of curiosity?

We did HCMC-Da Nang-Hoi An-Hanoi-Bangkok-Nha Trang-Hcmc and Da Nang was the only place we didnt love. In fairness I got badly sunburned in Hoi An and we didnt get to do much in Da Nang but 10 mins in the city centre and we had enough. Just far too hectic compared to even HCMC.

Afraid we might have missed out on it so just looking for your opinion

• Advertisement

How did you find Da Nang out of curiosity?

We did HCMC-Da Nang-Hoi An-Hanoi-Bangkok-Nha Trang-Hcmc and Da Nang was the only place we didnt love. In fairness I got badly sunburned in Hoi An and we didnt get to do much in Da Nang but 10 mins in the city centre and we had enough. Just far too hectic compared to even HCMC.

Afraid we might have missed out on it so just looking for your opinion

I was in Da Nang a couple of years ago, tbh I wouldn't go back.
    Big town/ small city on the coast, could be anywhere. Full of Russians on holidays & I didn't particularly like them.
    Was chatting a couple of locals there & they all said it is going to be a big Russian holiday destination. They are building a lot of five star hotels & resorts there.
    It doesn't really feel like a Vietnamese town & imo there's nothing there.
    You didn't miss much

Advertisement