Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which cat breed is him?

• 20-05-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I have bought a second cat recently, and I am just wondering his race.

Here you can see a couple of photos: http://imgur.com/a/xwmfQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Hi OP!

It's not common to refer to cats as having a "race." There are cat breeds, but unless you got the cat from a breeder, it's unlikely that your kitty is a purebred. However, it's not unusual to find non-purebred cats who look like a breed (re: every grey cat being called a Russian Blue).

When a cat isn't a particular breed, it's described by its coloring/markings and coat length. Your incredibly adorable kitten looks like a domestic long-hair brown and white tabby. His tabby pattern looks mackerel or maybe ticked. His white markings are classic tuxedo. With his long hair and cute little ear tufts, he resembles a breed of cat called a Maine Coon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭akesha

Hi!

Sorry for the expression! haha I am Spanish, and we usually say race instead of breed :D

The mom is a siberian and the dad is a british short hair, but I feel like he is all siberian or very close to it, but nothing british. I am just wondering if maybe the mom went out with another cat or something :D:D

Thanks for the reply!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Oh! He is so sweet!! What is his name? Enjoy!!

Ah that makes sense!

Your kitty definitely favors his mother's side! The British Shorthair could be his dad, but it's hard to know without knowing what kind of unsupervised access momma cat had to the outdoors. I do wonder why two cats of different breeds were allowed to have a litter - breeders usually try to avoid that!

katemarch wrote: »
    Oh! He is so sweet!! What is his name? Enjoy!!

His name is Conan :)

I don´t know much about the breeders, but I do think they were trying to make money more than anything :(

• Advertisement

Yes, that's why it's strange - having two different breeds as parents makes him a mixed breed and brings his value in the pedigree world down to virtually nothing. Most breeders sell any unsuitable show kitten for far less than normal asking price. Some will even drop the kitten (or litter) off at a shelter because the money they'd have to put into raising the kittens isn't worth it since they can't ask for much from any buyers. I have a purebred Siamese cat and she was half the price of her littermates because her eyes were slightly crossed.

It doesn't matter because he's incredibly adorable and has obviously found a wonderful home. I'm just wondering about those breeders and what they're up to!

Edited to make it really clear that he's freaking adorable and you're so lucky to have him. The value thing is strictly related to how breeders view their cats and kittens in transactions. I also have a non pedigree cat and there is no difference between the amount of joy he and my pedigree cat bring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

his race is..... CUTE!

Yes, we are very happy with him!! Although we are immerse in the adaptation phase with our first cat :)

We are kind of worried because he is doing a noise, and we are not sure what it is. He is doing a face like is meowing but doesn't seem right.
    I have recorded him: https://youtu.be/OecdZu5O_Us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sounds like he is sneezing little kitten-sized sneezes?

katemarch wrote: »
    Sounds like he is sneezing little kitten-sized sneezes?

I heard him sneezing this morning and the sound is very different. He always does the sound when he wants attention, so I think he might have a problem in his throat or something :(

• Advertisement

Kittens sometimes have unusual vocalizations because they're still learning what works. However, if you're very worried, take him to the vet and see what they say.

Advertisement