Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on creating a patio area

Options
  • 20-05-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an area at the back of my garden that is roughly 2 metres by 3. Currently it just leveled soil covered with weed protecting membrane and then that is covered with bark.

I want to convert it into a place to have BBQ's and put a table and chairs.

I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands, and am not that DIY savy but I'd be willing to anything a shot provided its not too much.

A guy in homebase told me I could put down a layer of sand and then place wooden deck tiles on top of it and that would be the easiest thing to do. Obviously taking up the bark first. Putting down paving slabs requires hardcore and cement and thats a lot more work

Is he correct? as I can't find any reference of anybody else trying this?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I did get a quote from a tradesman to do it and I think it was around the 900 euro mark which I didn't want to pay at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

My brother and I laid paving slabs in our parents back yard many years ago. We removed some topsoil so that the slabs would end up level with an existing concrete path, but this may or may not apply to your project. You'll have to measure the area carefully to work out the quantities to be removed or added. The area was sprayed with weed killer.
    We then hired a "Whacker" from a local tool hire company and used it to compact the soil. We then added some hardcore, enough to give a layer about 3" thick when compacted. We then put down a layer of sand, about 2", raked out to give a level surface. Throughout all these stages the levels were checked with a spirit level and a (straight!) plank.
    The paving slabs were then laid on the sand, which allowed us to add/ subtract sand as required to get them to lie evenly. Lengths of thin lath were used to space the slabs evenly, and a string line to keep the lines straight. When all the slabs had been laid to our satisfaction we shovelled some sand along the joints and swept it with a broom so that they were all filled in, flush with the surface. It's all still in place. My son lives there now and he just has to spray a little Pathclear on the joints every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

^^^ What he said - concrete really isn't needed. Only extra to add would maybe consider using paving pebble instead of sand. Sand can compact unless its well whacked down

Advertisement