Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers The New Celtic Manager

• 20-05-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/celticfc/status/733689886222475265

BREAKING NEWS: Celtic FC is delighted to announce that it has appointed Brendan Rodgers as the Club's new manager

Great apointment for Celtic & I hope he does well.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think both will do well together but unless he does well in Europe It probably would not lead to a bigger job.

Looks like Keane will be staying as Ireland's assistant after the Euros so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thought they might have went for someone with some European success in his past given how poor they have been in Europe under Deila.

Rodgers didn't do too well in Europe with Pool if I'm remembering right.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Ballotelli to Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There's only potential for tarnishing your own name there. You win the league... Meh. You finish anywhere other than first and you're rubbish.
    Not to mention the hate and death threats he will no doubt be on the receiving end of from his own countrymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

There's only potential for tarnishing your own name there. You win the league... Meh. You finish anywhere other than first and you're rubbish.

I think it's pretty obvious that they got him to improve their European performances.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious that they got him to improve their European performances.

Oh yeah, forgot about his stellar record in Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Excellent appointment for celtic, I think he will bring them on a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Handy enough number for him to come back into the game. The SPL will give him a chance to rediscover his 'Phil-osh-ophee' which he seemed to abandon at Liverpool without any major challenges. He will pick up a couple of titles and get some European experience without too many expectations. Did think he'd come back to a a Premier League team though and probably would have got a job soon into the new season but obviously didn't want to wait.

Glad he didn't get caught up in the Villa mess though, he is better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Couldn't they find someone cheaper? He'll get no credit for winning the SPL when they do so, and he'll never be so hated if they don't win it. As for Europe well its hard to imagine they'll make any progress beyond the group stage so I don't see this giving him a boost within the football business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After the **** Lennon endured and granted he was no angel, you have to wonder is another Northern Irishman a good idea for Celtic or did that have nothing to do with it? Someone fill me in here, I'm not a Celtic supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Couldn't they find someone cheaper? He'll get no credit for winning the SPL when they do so, and he'll never be so hated if they don't win it. As for Europe well its hard to imagine they'll make any progress beyond the group stage so I don't see this giving him a boost within the football business.

Even if they qualify for the CL group stages he'll be considered a success by the fans. They haven't even got that far recently. Should still be too strong for everyone else in the league over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What has he achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What has he achieved?

He made people dream again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

rob316 wrote: »
    After the **** Lennon endured and granted he was no angel, you have to wonder is another Northern Irishman a good idea for Celtic or did that have nothing to do with it? Someone fill me in here, I'm not a Celtic supporter.

Don't think this will be an issue, Lennon was a combative player not popular with the blue half of Glasgow plus had that grief from Northern Ireland fans after signing for Celtic, whereas Martin O'Neill had something of an aloof and cerebral public image, Rodgers is regarded as something of a football technician and being from the North Antrim area will sound more Scottish than the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's a dangerous one for him, he will almost certainly win the league but get no real thanks for doing so and 2 poor performances in July could see him become an early failure in the eyes of many.

It's a coup by Celtic for sure to be getting a manager who not so long ago was a Premier League runner up. When you look at many of the other managers linked with the job (with the exception of Moyes) Celtic would appear to have landed on their feet getting Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's gonna cost him a bloody fortune to get that massive Self-portrait of his face up to Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Brendan Rodgers is going to bring a lots of character to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if they want to make a mark in Europe they've picked the wrong man. Rodgers was terrible in Europe with Liverpool,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Terrible move for Rodgers I would think.

You can't go anywhere managing a club like Celtic, they have no real chance of doing anything serious in Europe anymore and if you win the league it's no achievement at all given the lack of competition and overall poor standard of the competition.

It's only financial/nostalgic reason that anyone at the main part of their career would want to manage or play for Celtic anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very good move for him in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Best of luck to him. Best manager they've had in ages. I slightly worry about them defensively in Europe though.

He made people dream again.

By doing what?
    What did he win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

By doing what?
    What did he win?

He made them dare to dream

There was even a book created about his heroics.

Good move for him I think. Much better winning a league than being mid table or championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What has he achieved?

More than the man many would like to take over, Roy Keane, has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Martinez to Rangers by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

i'd have thought he'd have more ambition than go to Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What way will the UTD/Celtic supporters take to him?????????? There be lots of them!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

i'd have thought he'd have more ambition than go to Celtic

He has to repair his somewhat battered reputation somewhere, and Celtic is a good place to start.

More than the man many would like to take over, Roy Keane, has.

How much more? Any stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

An outstanding appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

CSF wrote: »
    It's a coup by Celtic for sure to be getting a manager who not so long ago was a Premier League runner up.
    "I know how to manage top players. If you give me the tools, I'll do the work. I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better."

It's a coup by Rodgers, he has taken the job to get some trophies on his CV.

Warburton will be delighted, Rangers Premiership return might not be so tough. Celtic now have a manager who cannot organise a defence.

Talisman wrote: »
    "I know how to manage top players. If you give me the tools, I'll do the work. I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better."

It's a coup by Rodgers, he has taken the job to get some trophies on his CV.

Warburton will be delighted, Rangers Premiership return might not be so tough. Celtic now have a manager who cannot organise a defence.

Ah yeah sure lets just ignore the fact that he got a team within 2 points of a Premier League title. Warburton's CV is obviously the more decorated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

'Brendan didn't even know the meaning of the word defence but I wish him well.'
    Craig Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

A big step down for Rodgers so, not surprised he took it mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How much more? Any stats?

Promotion to the Premier League with Swansea (much smaller club than Sunderland) spending less than Keane did at Sunderland when he did it.

Runner up in the Premier League.

• Advertisement

Promotion to the Premier League with Swansea (much smaller club than Sunderland) spending less than Keane did at Sunderland when he did it.

Runner up in the Premier League.

Keane won the league the time they were promoted so you can't really use that as a plus for Rodgers.
    Not saying Keane is a better manager by any stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Biggest ego in the scottish league anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's rubbish in Europe to date - his success / failure will depend on him achieving performances in that sphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

dont know how anyone can question this appointment. He is a way higher standard than anyone else they could get

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's rubbish in Europe to date - his success / failure will depend on him achieving performances in that sphere.

It's a pretty small sample size though right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ah yeah sure lets just ignore the fact that he got a team within 2 points of a Premier League title.
    Lets also not forget that another 2 points would not have won them the title - his team conceded 50 league goals that season.

Lets also not forget that another 2 points would not have won them the title - his team conceded 50 league goals that season.

Oh ok then. That extra point they would have needed that year to avoid losing on goal difference changes everything.

Oh ok then. That extra point they would have needed that year to avoid losing on goal difference changes everything.

Cleary youve been put in your box :pac:

astonaidan wrote: »
    dont know how anyone can question this appointment. He is a way higher standard than anyone else they could get

He seems to have won feck all though.

Edit.

He got Swansea promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If one of those draws turned into an 800-0 win it would.

So nyah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Heard some people comments over the last few days that at least he didn't end up at villa.

Off topic a bit I suppose but putting aside villas awful situation at the minute would people consider Aston villa or Celtic to be a bigger club??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

tastyt wrote: »
    Heard some people comments over the last few days that at least he didn't end up at villa.

Off topic a bit I suppose but putting aside villas awful situation at the minute would people consider Aston villa or Celtic to be a bigger club??

That's easy from a Gers fan Celtic are bigger than villa

He seems to have won feck all though.

He has far more of a reputation than anyone else linked and a massive step up from Lennon and Deila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

astonaidan wrote: »
    He has far more of a reputation than anyone else linked and a massive step up from Lennon and Deila

Yet, he'll struggle to eclipse what Lennon achieved at Celtic

European football is a struggle for Celtic since Rangers went to pot.

The league needs two teams at least earning points in Europe.

Winning the league and having to play 3 qualifying rounds is difficult

• Advertisement
Advertisement