Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Rodgers The New Celtic Manager

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If the only thing that defined a football club was transfer fees, you'd have an English club winning, or at least reaching the final the Champions league nearly every year. Instead, most of them flop in the early knockout stages. Atletico madrid are in the second CL final in 3 years, despite having the budget of a mid-table premiership club. Sevilla have a budget roughly comparable to the likes of Villa and are after destroying Liverpool in the Europa league final.

Atletico spent 40 on Jackson Martinez, 20 on Savic, 20 on Vietto, 15 on Carrasco, 15 on Luis and 20 million on 4 other players, what mid table club in England spent that
    Comparing Sevilla one of the top run clubs in the world to a Aston Villa thats owner checked out 3 seasons ago isnt a fair comparrison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

astonaidan wrote: »
    Well when Petrov was youre star he moved to Villa, so that would be a apt comparison.
    Plenty of players wouldnt tbh, if they were given the chance to play for Sunderland or Celtic 95% would pick Sunderland.
    Celtic really need Rangers back imo, it will push the league on again and give it some spot light. It has been unwatchable for a few seasons
    Celtic in the foreseeable future wont even be as big a club as it was in the MON era. They are right now a feeder club, any player that does good will move south to a small mid table team in England

Petrov had spent 8 years at Celtic, from learning english in the chipper vans to being the man he is. Maybe you should read up on the reasons he left.

There has been a few celtic teams that exceeded what mon did, especially Lennons so go on, talk some more rubbish. And letd not forget all the metrics broken in the last 4 years.

What else do you want to ignore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Atletico spent 40 on Jackson Martinez, 20 on Savic, 20 on Vietto, 15 on Carrasco, 15 on Luis and 20 million on 4 other players, what mid table club in England spent that
    Comparing Sevilla one of the top run clubs in the world to a Aston Villa thats owner checked out 3 seasons ago isnt a fair comparrison.

Liverpool, they spent 45 million on Benteke. Atletico also sold players for similar values, that isn't so often the cast with premiership clubs.

I'm comparing the money spent, not the club's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dempsey wrote: »
    It does explain you and you're an idiot.

The transfer fee paid for Sutton doesnt mean anything. Please explain why it should

I find it embarrassing that you think you know anything about football tbh

Because Celtic have not broken their modest transfer record in 15 years.

£6 million is what teams in the championship are spending on players these days.

Which means they can't attract players worth more than £6 million (which is nothing today) to play for them.

I find it embarassing that you just can't admit that Celtic are nowhere near what they were and are pretty much an irrelevance at the top end of the game anymore.

He did, after spending a good few years at Celtic. I'm not sure that in itself makes Villa a bigger club though. Maybe he hoped to use Villa as a stepping stone to a bigger premiership club. Maybe he wanted a bit of extra cash. Maybe he was fed up living in Scotland. It's hard to tell unless you ask him.
    Plenty wouldn't, I know. I think 95% might be a bit excessive though.
    I won't go down the Rangers rabbit hole as that;s likely to throw up a few more arguments on here :pac:
    I'm confused by your last argument. Villa aren't a small mid table club, they're a championship club that have been flirting with relegation for a while now.

I wasnt talking about Villa, any decent Celtic player has signed for a mid table club in England.
    I think 95% is pretty accurate tbh, in fact theirs a good chance that theyd pick a top championship side over Celtic.
    Im not trying to have a dig at Celtic thats just the reality, they really arent what is considered a top club anymore, not with the way other leagues have evolved. Celtic have no massive pull, you cant really use CL when they havent been in it recently. Granted they have a class stadium but thats negated by the teams they play
    I said it when Rangers went down, they made a massive mistake not applying to play in England
    Right now Celtic play in the 25th best league in europe
    Anyways do I consider Celtic a big club, historically I consider them a massive club, but right now no I dont

£6 million is what teams in the championship are spending on players these days.

Which means they can't attract players worth more than £6 million (which is nothing today) to play for them.

I find it embarassing that you just can't admit that Celtic are nowhere near what they were and are pretty much an irrelevance at the top end of the game anymore.

No, it means they can't afford to spend more on a player because they're not in a league where values have been sent to crazy values because of TV money.

I don't think any Celtic fan here will deny they're nowhere near what they were in the past. If Celtic are an irrelevance at the top level of the game though, we'll need to make up a new word to describe the level Villa are at.

I wasnt talking about Villa, any decent Celtic player has signed for a mid table club in England.
    I think 95% is pretty accurate tbh, in fact theirs a good chance that theyd pick a top championship side over Celtic.
    Im not trying to have a dig at Celtic thats just the reality, they really arent what is considered a top club anymore, not with the way other leagues have evolved. Celtic have no massive pull, you cant really use CL when they havent been in it recently. Granted they have a class stadium but thats negated by the teams they play
    I said it when Rangers went down, they made a massive mistake not applying to play in England
    Right now Celtic play in the 25th best league in europe
    Anyways do I consider Celtic a big club, historically I consider them a massive club, but right now no I dont

Well, you did use Petrov as an argument and the majority of the posts have been discussing Villa, so forgive me for getting confused :pac:
    I don't think you're trying to have a dig, I just don't agree with the arguments you're making.
    I'm not arguing that Celtic are currently a big club compared to the bigger clubs in England, it's the fact people are saying they're insignificant compared to a championship club I have a problem with.

Yet the club has succeeded on less money than where the all spending MON failed. How does that fit into your logic

Petrov had spent 8 years at Celtic, from learning english in the chipper vans to being the man he is. Maybe you should read up on the reasons he left.

There has been a few celtic teams that exceeded what mon did, especially Lennons so go on, talk some more rubbish. And letd not forget all the metrics broken in the last 4 years.

What else do you want to ignore?

What on earth are you talking about, Petrov left cause he wanted to play in a bigger league.
    My point in using a recent enough example of Celtic is they were a lot bigger up till recently, come on keep up like a good lad :rolleyes:
    I have ignored what now Ted?
    I think you might be living a little in denial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No, it means they can't afford to spend more on a player because they're not in a league where values have been sent to crazy values because of TV money.

I don't think any Celtic fan here will deny they're nowhere near what they were in the past. If Celtic are an irrelevance at the top level of the game though, we'll need to make up a new word to describe the level Villa are at.

Exactly the league they play in is poor therefore they have no money therefore they have stagnated as a club and don't have much hope of too much growth in the future.

The championship is a better league than the SPL with one step to one of the best leagues in the world.

Celtic don't have any potential to improve their status because they play in Scotland, Villa do because they can get into the premier league.

• Advertisement

Well, you did use Petrov as an argument and the majority of the posts have been discussing Villa, so forgive me for getting confused :pac:
    I don't think you're trying to have a dig, I just don't agree with the arguments you're making.
    I'm not arguing that Celtic are currently a big club compared to the bigger clubs in England, it's the fact people are saying they're insignificant compared to a championship club I have a problem with.

Ive actually not been making a argument regarding Villa at all, I used Petrov as a example of a Celtic player moving to Villa. Honestly I think Celtic just arent the club they were, in the same way Villa arent. Aston Villa could next season go and sign a player for 10 million, Celtic couldnt.
    Villa are the biggest club in the midlands and I have no idea why people are saying they dont have a fanbase, Villa have a massive fan base.
    I dont think anyone said insignificant, I just right now dont rate Celtic as a bigger draw than the Villa

What on earth are you talking about, Petrov left cause he wanted to play in a bigger league.
    My point in using a recent enough example of Celtic is they were a lot bigger up till recently, come on keep up like a good lad :rolleyes:
    I have ignored what now Ted?
    I think you might be living a little in denial

Indeed, what are you talking about? Maybe you should focus on why the player left than why you think he left. You'll have to go back to the lisbon lions to find a better team than lennons, so do tell on...

Indeed, what are you talking about? Maybe you should focus on why the player left than why you think he left. You'll have to go back to the lisbon lions to find a better team than lennons, so do tell on...

Ive just realised something............................................

Ive just realised something............................................

I can imagine...

Ive actually not been making a argument regarding Villa at all, I used Petrov as a example of a Celtic player moving to Villa. Honestly I think Celtic just arent the club they were, in the same way Villa arent. Aston Villa could next season go and sign a player for 10 million, Celtic couldnt.
    Villa are the biggest club in the midlands and I have no idea why people are saying they dont have a fanbase, Villa have a massive fan base.
    I dont think anyone said insignificant, I just right now dont rate Celtic as a bigger draw than the Villa

I mostly agree with you based on that post. Celtic could end up competing in the champions league next season though, Villa couldn't. At the end of the day, that and the fact Villa could spend more money are both down to the league systems they play in.

I mostly agree with you based on that post. Celtic could end up competing in the champions league next season though, Villa couldn't. At the end of the day, that and the fact Villa could spend more money are both down to the league systems they play in.

Exactly the leagues is what is holding Celtic back, its why Celtic dont seem to sign players till after they qualified for the CL cause if its not a option that season, they dont want to have only SPL
    Id love for Rogers to get ye back their, its great when Celtic are in the CL, it strengthens the league as brings attention aswell

Exactly the leagues is what is holding Celtic back, its why Celtic dont seem to sign players till after they qualified for the CL cause if its not a option that season, they dont want to have only SPL
    Id love for Rogers to get ye back their, its great when Celtic are in the CL, it strengthens the league as brings attention aswell

The league certainly holds us back to an extent, but the fact we win it so often is what allows us to compete more regularly in the CL. Having a weaker league has it's advantages :pac:

Hopefully he does yeah, I've missed the CL games.

Advertisement