Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want employer to know my previous employment - P45 - Tax Credits

Options
  • 20-05-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My new employer asked for a P45 from my previous company in order to sort out my tax credits so I pay the correct amount of Tax (left a job three months ago). What they don't know is I was working for a company since then but I don't want them to know that..(didn't go well).

I heard you can forward my new employers employer id to revenue and they will sort out my tax credits with my new company.

Just hoping this won't reveal my most recent employment. Would it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, it won't.

All it will tell them is your tax credits and cut off point. There could be various things which make these take whatever values, your employer won't be able to work anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

My new employer asked for a P45 from my previous company in order to sort out my tax credits so I pay the correct amount of Tax (left a job three months ago). What they don't know is I was working for a company since then but I don't want them to know that..(didn't go well).

I heard you can forward my new employers employer id to revenue and they will sort out my tax credits with my new company.

Just hoping this won't reveal my most recent employment. Would it?

You'll have to specifically tell Revenue that you want to be placed on a week/month 1 basis of you want it to be invisible. A "normal" cumulative cert will show your prior earnings (but not your previous employer).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Clive wrote: »
    You'll have to specifically tell Revenue that you want to be placed on a week/month 1 basis of you want it to be invisible. A "normal" cumulative cert will show your prior earnings (but not your previous employer).

There could be all sorts of reasons for those prior earnings, though, including jobs before the last one but still this year, allowance that Revenue make for self-employment income, and also taxable Welfare benefits received.

It would be a foolish employer who believed that cumulative earnings shown on a cert all came from the person's last job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

There could be all sorts of reasons for those prior earnings, though, including jobs before the last one but still this year, allowance that Revenue make for self-employment income, and also taxable Welfare benefits received.
    QUOTE]

If it was later on in the year maybe yes but to be on the safe side asking for a week1 basis is the wisest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It would be a foolish employer who believed that cumulative earnings shown on a cert all came from the person's last job.

Very true, but s/he's told them that he left one job three months ago (presumably they were there since the beginning of the year) and doesn't want them to know about the job in the intervening period. If they are interested enough to check his previous earnings, they'll realise that s/he was unlikely to have four months of earnings in one month and may question it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

i was in your position before. I didnt want my new employer to know about the last employer i worked with, i was only there 3 weeks and walked out.

what i did was i phoned the revenue myself and told the revenue i started a new job, i gave them the new employers details. A few days letter I received tax credits in the post and my new employer also received one.
    P45 never exchanged hands with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bridget Mary

There is no need to hand over p45 to new employer. Send it into revenue so they can update your previous pay and tax details. Also call them as the previous poster said with your new employer registration number and they will issue a tax credit cert to you and a p2c to your new employer. This way the new employer is given no information other than your tax credits allocated to that employment and your USC bands.

Advertisement