Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skechers

Options
  • 20-05-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Anybody have any experience with Skechers running shoes? Pros and cons?

Im looking at the GO Run 4's or the MEB Speed 3's.

Usually wear adidas energy boost or Nike Pegasus 32's for ER and LRs, and boston boost 5's for faster stuff. Looking for a bit of variety (the spice of life) and a shoe that is pretty versatile, from ERs up to 5k pace intervals.

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I wore the Go Run 3's for about 2 years and loved them - size wise you need to try them on as I found them large fitting.
    Very light and comfortable.

Stopped wearing them as I wanted to recycle into something different and just never went back to them.
    I know aero2k also wore the Go Mebs for a couple of marathons.

They've brought out a stability shoe, but at €130, its far too steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a pair of Go Run 3, which are nearing the end of their useful lives.

They're perfectly decent shoes but seem to wear out a bit quicker than other brands. I got mine in a sale from amazon for 29.99, which made them excellent value but I would not pay €100 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

I've been wearing the GoRunRide 3 for over a year now and found them excellent. I moved from Kayano's purely from a price perspective. I'm on the GoRunRide 5 at the moment with two pairs of 3s on the go in work and at home. They are light, dry really quickly and never got crusty, even after +1100 miles on my first pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

tommykb wrote: »
    I've been wearing the GoRunRide 3 for over a year now and found them excellent. I moved from Kayano's purely from a price perspective. I'm on the GoRunRide 5 at the moment with two pairs of 3s on the go in work and at home. They are light, dry really quickly and never got crusty, even after +1100 miles on my first pair.
    Tommy what are the 5's like compared to the 3's? I tried the 4's and found them a bit harder than the 3's. Cant find 3's anywhere now and might have to progress to 5's

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

Anybody have any experience with Skechers running shoes? Pros and cons?

Im looking at the GO Run 4's or the MEB Speed 3's.

Usually wear adidas energy boost or Nike Pegasus 32's for ER and LRs, and boston boost 5's for faster stuff. Looking for a bit of variety (the spice of life) and a shoe that is pretty versatile, from ERs up to 5k pace intervals.

Thanks!:D

Go Run 4's are very comfortable for walking around in but similar to TFBubendorfer I found they wore out very quickly and didn't feel they had enough support in them for anything other than short morning runs. Used them as a walking around shoe for a while after I'd stopped using them for running.

Had a pair of GoMeb Speed3's (blue and yellow). Don't know how Meb wears them for racing marathons, etc., the things are like clogs. Very severe and hard. Tried them out on a few runs off-road and on trails/grass and even then my feet and legs were in bits afterwards.

TBH think you're on to a winner sticking with the Peg's and Boston's. Both great and reasonable value (outlet stores or online adidas/nike websites). Reverted back to them myself after brief stint trialing the Skechers. Get much better wear out of them and they're reliable both on the roads and off-road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

conavitzky wrote: »
    Tommy what are the 5's like compared to the 3's? I tried the 4's and found them a bit harder than the 3's. Cant find 3's anywhere now and might have to progress to 5's
    The 5s are a lot more structured I think, big difference on the feet. I am still wearing out my 3s and use the 5s for the long runs now. I'm very happy with them - they are stone catchers though which always bugged the hell out of me! I often wonder if designers ever run on roads that might have the odd stone or two lying around or are they runners at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've been wearing the GoRunRide 3 for over a year now and found them excellent. I moved from Kayano's purely from a price perspective.

Was that not a bit of a jump to go from Kayano 3s to a more minimalist shoe? Do the Go Run Rides have must guidance and support if you're an overpronator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I got a pair of Skechers Go Run Ride 3 last year for a good price (42 euro) and they were very comfortable. I used them for long runs up to 15 miles on both road and trail. Also good for faster stuff on hard surfaces. The wear on the sole was quite considerable after about 500 miles, especially along the forefoot. They also developed a tear on the instep upper near the ball of my foot and I started to get a callous in this area. Despite the wear and tear, I still considered them good value.
    I changed for a pair of Go Run Ride 5 earlier this year, also for a good price (42 GBP). There are a few small differences. They do not seem quite as cushioned and there are more rubber areas to reduce wear on the forefoot - maybe these things are related. Also the ridge that caused the tear is no longer there. The 5's do catch more stones than the 3's which is annoying but if I had to replace them tomorrow, I would probably pick Skechers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sorry, getting to this a bit late.

I switched to Skechers after I heard AMK had tried them. I had already transitioned to 4mm drop shoes (Kinvara, Guide) and I was looking for something lightweight.

1st pair: GoRun 3. After the initial odd feeling of a big lump under the instep, I loved these. I was a bit suspicious of the very thin tongue - I thought the laces might be uncomfortable as I like to lace my shoes pretty snuggly, but they were fine. I have over 600 miles on them, on a variety of surfaces: road, grass and trail (Phoenix park). I would definitely buy the same shoe again.

2nd pair: GoRun 2. I bought these pretty quickly as it was in the lead-up to CCM '14 and I feared the tongue on the GoRun3 might bother me. For the only time ever I ended up with blood in my shoe after the race - I think this was due to over-enthusiastic toenail cutting in the pre-race week rather than anything wrong with the shoe, and that was at the time my second fastest marathon. Over 400 miles on them.

3rd pair: GoMeb Speed 2. These are far and away my favourite shoes ever. I'd choose them for anything from 5k to a marathon. They feel a bit harsh on recovery runs, but if you want to go fast they're excellent. I ran 2 marathons in that pair, 500 miles on them now and still ok. I subsequently got another pair of these online for about €65 and I used them for my PB in DCM '16. I didn't notice them at all in the race, which is exactly what you want from a shoe.

4th and 5th pairs: GoRun4 and Go Meb speed 3. I bought both of these in the lead-up to Rotterdam '15. I didn't like either of them initially - I thought the GoRun4 weren't as nice a fit as previous shoes. I also found the Speed3 clunky. I left them aside and reverted to other shoes for training, and raced in the same pair of Go Meb Speed 2 shoes I had used for DCM '14 (which then had 470 miles on them). I did use both during DCM '15 training without problems.

OP, that's a bit wordy, feel free to ask if you want more specifics. I should probably point out that I'm on the lean side (or at least I was) and I tend not to wear out the soles of my shoes. The Skechers are definitely softer in the outsole than other shoes, but I find this helps with grip. (A lot of people had trouble in Farmleigh with slipping in one of the race series half marathons - I recall being okay on the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can pick up a cheap pair of the go run 3 or 5s online and see how they go. Will try a pair on for size in the shops first. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

The 5s are a lot more structured I think, big difference on the feet. I am still wearing out my 3s and use the 5s for the long runs now. I'm very happy with them - they are stone catchers though which always bugged the hell out of me! I often wonder if designers ever run on roads that might have the odd stone or two lying around or are they runners at all!
    Thanks Tommy. The old stones in the sole is unavoidable where I run!

Advertisement