Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai identify new speed enforcement zones in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wheres da sun

new location - Condel Road from pedestrian lights at Russell Park to Tunnel Roundabout. you'd wonder why they didn't just continue the whole of the Condel Road they were at it - 50km stretch of road where which could easily handle 60/70km. nowhere for the van to park at the moment anyway. cycle lanes both directions alright but plenty of room for them and the passing cars (I cycle it regularly, never felt in any danger there) theres alot of worse stretches of road I cycle on with no lanes and much higher speeds

I can't post link to the gosafe page as I'm a new user but its on the Garda page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

new location - Condel Road from pedestrian lights at Russell Park to Tunnel Roundabout. you'd wonder why they didn't just continue the whole of the Condel Road they were at it - 50km stretch of road where which could easily handle 60/70km.

Well that's 100% a money grab spot anyway it's one of the roads with the best surface in limerick.

What i think is ridiculous is that your not going to have people walking across the condell road.

But if you look a the main road in Thomondgate people are often going 80 on that stretch of road with lots of people crossing day and night and I've never heard or seen a speed trap on the road.

It's like they look for the road where people speed just slightly over the limit and pick that rather than the road where people really speed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Well that's 100% a money grab spot anyway it's one of the roads with the best surface in limerick.

What i think is ridiculous is that your not going to have people walking across the condell road.

But if you look a the main road in Thomondgate people are often going 80 on that stretch of road with lots of people crossing day and night and I've never heard or seen a speed trap on the road.

It's like they look for the road where people speed just slightly over the limit and pick that rather than the road where people really speed on.

I was walking out Condell Rd a few weeks back, a car coming into town was "undertaken" by a articulated truck. The car wasn't crawling.

50kph might well be too slow for that road but some of the stuff I've seen on it beggars belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That stretch is 50kph because it's within the city boundary which is covered by the Council's bylaws here:

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/limerick_city_road_traffic_speed_limit_bye_laws_2014.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

bazz26 wrote: »
    That stretch is 50kph because it's within the city boundary which is covered by the Council's bylaws here:

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/limerick_city_road_traffic_speed_limit_bye_laws_2014.pdf

Just because its there, doesn't mean its there for a good reason.
    That road should be 80, was only lowered to try and get more people to use the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wheres da sun

phill106 wrote: »
    That road should be 80, was only lowered to try and get more people to use the tunnel.

Thought that road was always 50, or at least a max of 60. Whatever about anything else u can blame on the tunnel, the limit there wasn't lowered for the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was always 50 as the road was busy and was prone to rear end crashes in rush hour. It is NOT busy now and should be 60km. The only other option is 80km when is a little fast for a semi suburban road.

You/They can suggest any road you like but unless you can park a money machine van safely on a road then it won't be parked there and if they start digging up the green areas to place concrete/tarmac then I'll be one of the first to object to planning.

I was leaving Ennis yesterday and was on the LILO Junction at the Tulla Flyover and whilst joining the motorway I noticed they have a Speed Camera warning sign. It's an M road, there cannot be one on the road. Yet another stupid decision by somebody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There's a review of all speed limits ongoing within the city and county. Submissions are being taken until May 27th.

All submissions should be forwarded in writing to the Senior
    Executive Officer, Physical Development Directorate, Limerick
    City & County Council Merchant’s Quay, Limerick or emailed
    to mairead.corrigan@limerick.ie no later than 5 pm on May 27th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

phill106 wrote: »

That stretch of road had a low speed limit well before the tunnel every existed. And anyway you still hit the bottleneck Dock Road which has the same speed limit out as far as the racecourse so increasing the speed limit on the Condell Road is hardly going to save you much time or fuel. But the reason whether we agree with it or not is because it's within the city boundary and current bylaws apply. The stretch from the Clonmacken roundabout to the Coonagh roundabout is in the county boundary hence why it has a slightly higher speed limit. Also imo 80kph is too high on that stretch, set it to 80kph and you will get dimwits doing 100kph on it which is just crazy given the amount of people who use it for walking, running, cycling and cross at Barrington's pier, the bird sanctuary, etc.

Anyway it would be interesting to see where they plan on parking a gosafe van legally on the 50kph stretch of road because between the bus and cycle lanes I don't seen any room or them to park up. I've seen the Garda Traffic Corp setup mobile speed traps on that road where they parked their car on the inbound cycle lane catching speeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Anyway it would be interesting to see where they plan on parking a gosafe van legally on the 50kph stretch of road ...

.... I've seen the Garda Traffic Corp setup mobile speed traps on that road where they parked their car on the inbound cycle lane catching speeders.

Lol.

lnaX-d3WrPY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

new location - Condel Road from pedestrian lights at Russell Park to Tunnel Roundabout. you'd wonder why they didn't just continue the whole of the Condel Road they were at it - 50km stretch of road where which could easily handle 60/70km. nowhere for the van to park at the moment anyway. cycle lanes both directions alright but plenty of room for them and the passing cars (I cycle it regularly, never felt in any danger there) theres alot of worse stretches of road I cycle on with no lanes and much higher speeds

I can't post link to the gosafe page as I'm a new user but its on the Garda page
    Some time back planning was approved for houses and a new roundabout at that location,plans are also for new social housing in the same area.I wonder what will come first, a speed van or houses?

That stretch of road had a low speed limit well before the tunnel every existed. And anyway you still hit the bottleneck Dock Road which has the same speed limit out as far as the racecourse so increasing the speed limit on the Condell Road is hardly going to save you much time or fuel. But the reason whether we agree with it or not is because it's within the city boundary and current bylaws apply. The stretch from the Clonmacken roundabout to the Coonagh roundabout is in the county boundary hence why it has a slightly higher speed limit. Also imo 80kph is too high on that stretch, set it to 80kph and you will get dimwits doing 100kph on it which is just crazy given the amount of people who use it for walking, running, cycling and cross at Barrington's pier, the bird sanctuary, etc.

Anyway it would be interesting to see where they plan on parking a gosafe van legally on the 50kph stretch of road because between the bus and cycle lanes I don't seen any room or them to park up. I've seen the Garda Traffic Corp setup mobile speed traps on that road where they parked their car on the inbound cycle lane catching speeders.

I assume they'll create a parking bay for the vans on both sides of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

phog wrote: »
    I assume they'll create a parking bay for the vans on both sides of the road.

I hope they build the poor operators a toilet too. Tis alright to going in the bushes and using dock leaves when you're out in the shticks, but they should strive for better within the city limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Berty wrote: »
    It was always 50 as the road was busy and was prone to rear end crashes in rush hour. It is NOT busy now and should be 60km. The only other option is 80km when is a little fast for a semi suburban road.

You/They can suggest any road you like but unless you can park a money machine van safely on a road then it won't be parked there and if they start digging up the green areas to place concrete/tarmac then I'll be one of the first to object to planning.

I was leaving Ennis yesterday and was on the LILO Junction at the Tulla Flyover and whilst joining the motorway I noticed they have a Speed Camera warning sign. It's an M road, there cannot be one on the road. Yet another stupid decision by somebody.

Was it always 50? i seem to recall it was higher, which seems to be backed up by this post from 2010.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67434183&postcount=78
    Granted its not an official document or anything

although this newspaper also shows it had been 60 kph
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2013/07/18/council-to-tackle-coonagh-death-trap/
    though doesnt do my suggestion that the limit be increased any favours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Definitey no where for them to park the van. They seem to be justifying it by saying there have been a lot of crashes on the stretch recently. From what I have seen driving that road every day is there have been two crashes in the last 3 months. I reckon they have been waiting for their chance to pounce. Also I'd love to know the cause of the accidents they are using to justify the speed van as most the time I see bad driving on that road it's due to people being frustrated by the low speed limit and they try overtake or undertake. I don't think cars speeding has been the problem. No fatalities there in recent times from memory.

60km would be enough to be honest. No too slow but not too fast either.

One of my main gripes is that the bus lane is used as a speeding lane by buses and taxis which is extremely dangerous considering cyclists use the lane as well. They seem to think that using it justifies undertaking at 80-90km an hour. That's who they really need to be catching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

The stretch from the Clonmacken roundabout to the Coonagh roundabout is in the county boundary hence why it has a slightly higher speed limit.
    Not correct, all that area is now within the city boundary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

phill106 wrote:
    Was it always 50? i seem to recall it was higher, which seems to be backed up by this post from 2010.

It was 60 about 5+ years ago. I used to travel it daily then. It can feel dangerous doing 50 at times. Undertaking is commonplace.

Any reason why the Garda list is like this http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/355%20New%20Safety%20Camera%20Locations.pdf could they just give the road number or name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Any reason why the Garda list is like this http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/355%20New%20Safety%20Camera%20Locations.pdf could they just give the road number or name.

Not really, there are specific enforcement zones along certain roads. Stating the road name or number wouldn't show the enforcement zones without a lengthy explanation that only locals would understand.

Coordinates let anyone with internet access, a GPS or a decent map find out exactly where the zone starts and finishes. Also it allows mapping companies and GPS companies accurately update their systems with the locations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Berty wrote: »

Several of the new zones are on motorways, there's even one on the M50 between the Lucan exit and the Red Cow.

There's also a new zone on the N18 between the Shannon junction (end of the motorway) and the LILOs south of Shannon. A road built to motorway standards, just at the end of a motorway. Definately got safety in mind there.

• Advertisement

At the bird sanctuary on the condell road last night 23:45 I passed two people/Garda with a hand held speed meter.I was over the speed limit but was not stopped.I rang Henry st and was told not to worry since I was not stopped.Anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

At the bird sanctuary on the condell road last night 23:45 I passed two people/Garda with a hand held speed meter.I was over the speed limit but was not stopped.I rang Henry st and was told not to worry since I was not stopped.Anyone else come across this?

Unlike a speed-van or fixed speed monitoring station, those hand-helds cannot photograph you. Therefore there is no basis for a prosecution unless the officer pulls you over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The road from Adare to Newcastle West is being monitored very closely this week! :eek: Vans outside both Adare and Rathkeale this morning, and again near Rathkeale this afternoon. Everybody afraid to drive faster than 75 km/h. :rolleyes: One wouldn't want to be driving to meet a deadline on that route.

I doubt each submission will get an individual reply nor can all be implemented. Some folk will be happy their submission was taken on board while others will probably be disappointed that theirs was "ignored".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A list of the new locations from the Limerick Post. R518 joining N21 and N69

R513 through Herbertstown

R513 through Hospital

N24 at junction R505 near Ballyart

R505 between Cappamore and Doon

R526 from the Crescent Shopping Centre to the South Court Hotel roundabout

R511 near Roxboro Road Garda Station

R527 Condell Road outbound from Shannon Bridge

R522 between Dromcolliher and Feohanagh

R515 between Harnetts Cross on N21 and Gortnagross

R517 on Mitchelstown Road before the Limerick Cork border

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Condell Road. Pure revenue generation if ever I've seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There appears to be a speed camera on the Dock Road every second day now. Seems to be a pure money racket there too. It's hardly a dangerous stretch of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

There was a guy killed on the Condell Road a few years ago. Had their been a speed detection van on the road then someone's brother, father or son could still be alive. Speak to that man's surviving family members and see how they feel.

The zones are made public for a reason, to save lives.

We all know where these speed zones are so nobody should ever get caught speeding.

Pretty simple.

As a person who has lost a loved one to a fatal accident I cannot for the life of me understand the money making argument with these go safe vans.

We all know where the zones are.

Slow down and stick to the speed limit.

Advertisement