Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai identify new speed enforcement zones in Limerick

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Let me clear things up lads.

The go safe vans are located in areas that have had fatal or or serious accidents.

I totally understand what you are saying with respect to where they are positioned, driver behaviour, speed limits on excellent road surfaces etc.

In fact i had the very same opinion up until a few years ago when i rang the Gardai at Henry Street to complain about the go safe van outside the post office on the Dock Road.

A high ranking member of the traffic division called me back a few days later and spent almost 45 minutes on the phone educating me in the ways of the road, why the need for go safe vans and what it was like to experience a scene of a fatal crash involving kids, men, women et al.

Basically what it boils down to is if you obey the speed limit then you have nothing to worry about. How can the go safe vans be out to catch people when they are located in areas that we are all made aware of.

No matter what argument i put forward his answer was the same "obey the speed limit and you have nothing to worry about".

This member of the Gardai didn't have to waste his time calling me to discuss this matter but he did, it is something that he takes extremely seriously and the conversation changed my opinion entirely.

You certainly have had a "road to damascus" moment, going from ringing up to complain about a van to being a true believer.
    To me, this particular post of yours is just a little weird, a bit too pat.
    It's 100% true. After speaking to the chap i did a full 360 in terms of looking at it from their perspective.

Don't get me wrong, i'm as pi*ssed as the next guy every time i see one of those van's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It's 100% true. After speaking to the chap i did a full 360 in terms of looking at it from their perspective.

Don't get me wrong, i'm as pi*ssed as the next guy every time i see one of those van's though.

What is their perspective, these roads are only dangerous a few times a month?
    Random enforcement with long periods of no enforcement does not suggest that they are that concerned about saving lives on these "treacherous, lethal" roads. It suggests that they want to catch people, rather than consistently reduce speeds.

;):pac: Were you using chinese tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

;):pac: Were you using chinese tyres
    No.

Usually some one would point out the error of saying 360 when you meant 180... but I don't think there was ever a 180 involved here, 360 is perfectly accurate I think :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

A man died at Setrights a couple of years back when trying to cross the road by the pedestrian bridge.

Not speed related, thats due to a pedestrian crossing illegally, where a safe legal method was already provided.
    He took his life in his hands dangerously crossing the road in a place he was not permitted to do so.
    And the speed camera van would have stopped this how exactly?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A man died at Setrights a couple of years back when trying to cross the road by the pedestrian bridge.

It's 2016. The Setrights Pub should not front onto the busiest road out of Limerick, which is a grade seperated 100km/h dual carraigeway. The N18 from J4 to J9 should be upgraded to motorway status, the LILOs closed, and all the houses either accessed from the road behind (in the case of the houses near the Cratloe exit, which are fairly close to the R462 behind) or else CPOd and demolished.
    For anyone interested follow @GardaTraffic on Twitter to understand what type of idiots they have to deal with using our roads on a daily basis.

I think there's a typo there and that's the N18 eastbound between J2 Dock Rd and the Rossbrien interchange. Whilst 171km/h is a bit fast, it's a motorway grade road just without the 120km/h limit. I'd be much more concerned about drivers with no insurance/driving dangerously around the city. There's a lot more accidents on roads in town than there is on the N18.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

marno21 wrote: »
    It's 2016. The Setrights Pub should not front onto the busiest road out of Limerick, which is a grade seperated 100km/h dual carraigeway. The N18 from J4 to J9 should be upgraded to motorway status, the LILOs closed, and all the houses either accessed from the road behind (in the case of the houses near the Cratloe exit, which are fairly close to the R462 behind) or else CPOd and demolished.

With the lack of alternative major road that section of road will never be a motorway, the houses and stuff facing onto it isn't the only reason it's not a motorway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By the way folks here on boards there's a transport/infrastructure and motoring forum to discuss all this speed and road discussion. There's also a Clare section if you want to discuss roads in Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Another debate killed, I was enjoying this thread.

These are roads that Limerick people use everyday to access... Limerick! A discussion around speed vans in Limerick will inevitably lead to discussion around speed vans in general.

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    Another debate killed, I was enjoying this thread.

These are roads that Limerick people use everyday to access... Limerick! A discussion around speed vans in Limerick will inevitably lead to discussion around speed vans in general.

Ah now, I didn't kill the discussion or change anything. I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of forums around that has indepth conversation on these topics with a lot of extremely informed posters. Also, just because Limerick people use it every day doesn't mean it's always for the Limerick forum, I'm sure there are roads in Dublin/London/Sydney that are used by Limerick people every day but it'd be out of scope for here.

Advertisement