Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Social hours

Options
  • 20-05-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have been changed my shift in work from next month on. I was working 8.30 to 5.

Now its going to be 2 to 10.30. Basically my 3rd change of shift since i started in less then 4 months.

They wonted me to change with 3 days note and i basically said no you have to give me 30 days note and they said i have to get on to HR and see. And turns out they did as it was considered a major shift change.

I am wondering after 8pm am i alaod more pay for it being anti social hours ?. As my partner gets it in her job and her friend does as well. One works in a IT company like myself and the other in a perm company.

I work will company's based in the EU and don't see the point of the late shift as it gos dead come 5pm anyway.

I am wondering what is the best way of dealing with this ?.

I work in IT by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does your contract say?

Unless your contract mentions it, then I double that there will be any special payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Check your contract, it may include a clause allowing them to change your shift pattern depending on business needs. I suspect you are still on probation if you are there only 4 months so tread carefully, if they require flexibility and it is in your contract, a refusal on your part may not be great career wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

What the others said +

If you do want to raise the question, frame it in terms of any additional expense that you may be incurring as a result of the shift change. Transport, childcare, etc. That way you will come across as reasonable having considered the impact of the change. Rather than just greedy.

In my experience working the evening shift is a great way to save money, and get stuff done during the day,although it does come with challenges in maintaining a prior social / family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just a update on this.

Found out i get 10% more for working these hours as we found out from other teams and we asked out boss and gave it to us right away.

The contact does say they can change it and they have changed it again since now its the 4th change. Basically one week of normal 8.30 to 5 and then the week after is 2.30 to 10.30 and vice versa.

Basically going to no idea where i am coming or going from now on.

Advertisement