Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planer blade adjusting tool/jig for Makita 1900B

Options
  • 20-05-2016 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I've a Makita 1900B I was given condition is like new apart from the blades. I've never used it as it needs new blades and I believe I need some sort of adjusting tool to set the blades. So can anyone point me the in the direction of the adjusting tool or a description of how to make one.

The planner came with traditional resharpenable blades not the replaceable ones. I've held off buying a trend converter to let it take the replaceable blades or the traditional blades until I get the adjusting tool. The original blades look like the have been run over nails as they are totally wrecked with groves in them.

I've got the manual from http://www.manualslib.com/download/98367/Makita-N1900b.html and to be honest the adjustment using the "gauge plate" doesn't make much sense without having one.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

http://media.makita.co.nz/_media/user-manuals/1/1900B-UG.pdf

page 7

Its basically fitting the blades to a heel plate, and then locate the heel plate in the groove
    of the planer block.

You could freehand fit one blade on the block, and then form your own jig to match both blades,
    in the absence of a jig.

But buying the proper tool simplifies things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks, I've been searching online for the tool but I'm not sure I want to pay $50 for it (inc P&P) - still looking for a UK or EU supplier. I'll have to strip the old blades out tomorrow and take a look how it all goes together. Its how the adjustment jig works with the heel adjuster at the back of the blade that I'm not sure of.

EDIT> Think I've got it at long last. With the original blades (and the adapter part for the carbide blades) there is an adjuster plate screwed on the back of the blade before its inserted. You adjust the depth of the blade with this "heel plate" before you fit it in the planner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

BY george I think he's got it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

kadman wrote: »
    BY george I think he's got it:D

I could only imagine fitting the blade in the spindle and then adjusting it :o Just goes to show you can't do woodworking sat at a computer :rolleyes:

Advertisement