Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difficult cassette removal

• 20-05-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any tips for a cassette removal. Swinging out of the spanner and chain whip here and the damn nut won't budge. Any ideas how to free it up?

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

ha, ill be watching this thread closely. took a good chunk off one of my knuckles off attempting this unsuccessfully. ive done it before on other bikes but like you, this one aint for moving. im going to give it a little spray of lube before my next (ski-gloved) attempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ha, ill be watching this thread closely. took a good chunk off one of my knuckles off attempting this unsuccessfully. ive done it before on other bikes but like you, this one aint for moving. im going to give it a little spray of lube before my next (ski-gloved) attempt

Tried wd40 the other day, didn't work . I left it into the bike shop to get something else checked 2 weeks back, they said they tightened the cassette as they noticed it was loose. They possibly over torqued or cross threaded it. Time for new cassette I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Dirty little trick is to put her on her side, get someone else to put downwards pressure on the tool, and hold the whip. Next you get a big huge bar, and absolutely swing off it, you'll break it loose no problem then

Have you a steel free hub body? You might have got a bit of corrosion from the dissimilar metals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭cython

jon1981 wrote: »
    Tried wd40 the other day, didn't work . I left it into the bike shop to get something else checked 2 weeks back, they said they tightened the cassette as they noticed it was loose. They possibly over torqued or cross threaded it. Time for new cassette I think.

I really hope they haven't done thread damage, as obviously the threads are on the locking and the freehub, not the cassette itself, so if they are damaged it'll not be a cheap/trivial fix.

Other suggestions around mechanical advantage already posted are good though, and in a similar vein make sure the chain whip is on one of the larger sprockets for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The cross threading was just a thought as I've removed the cassette loads of times and never had to put much effort into it! The wheel is going in bin anyway as its f**ked and the cassette is quite old but still has some life, perhaps I'll cut my losses and buy a new cassette and chain for the new wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another variation is to clamp the lockring tool in a vice, and sit the wheel down onto it. Leaves both hands free to swing out of the chainwhip. You've got to make sure the wheel doesn't rise up though or the lockring tool will slip.

Personally I don't like wrapping the chainwhip around one of the larger cogs, I just find it makes it a little harder to keep the chainwhip and wrench on the lockring tool co-linear when they are now further apart, you can end up fighting yourself a little.

A snug fitting lockring tool is a help too, poor quality tools tend to fall short there. Another help is a spanner that attaches firmly to the lockring tool, or better still, a lockring tool with a permanent handle - the less risk of movement here the better. And Pedros do a vice-grip alternative to a chainwhip, and because it locks in place you get the option of hitting it with a hammer when you get really fed up (not recommended of course, but...).

As an immediate option though, I'd try different angles between the chainwhip and whatever is holding the lockring tool. A small change there can make a huge difference, as can trying different hand positions, and adjusting how you lean over the wheel so that all of the pressure is going straight downwards. Swearing lots helps too.

Advertisement