Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alchlol issues.

• 20-05-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Anyone got any tips on how to stop drinking. i generally go out on a saturday get smashed drink about 13 pints through the night ill wake up 8-9 if ive even slept. ill then go and find the nearest pub and continue on driking for 12-13 hours. easily another 13-14 pints and wake up monday like ive been hit by a train. i do feel emotionallly and mentally ill till at least wensday mentally more than atin. anyway any tips would be appreciated. What do normal people do with there time on weekend Saturday nights.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I'd say a gp and support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous are your best bet if your having problems with alcohol.
    And make an effort to cut back too. Alcohol is addictive, and if you can decrease your intake that would help.
    Theirs also the chance of going into withdrawal too. So you should really talk about this with your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 firstday

Pablo89 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on how to stop drinking. i generally go out on a saturday get smashed drink about 13 pints through the night ill wake up 8-9 if ive even slept. ill then go and find the nearest pub and continue on driking for 12-13 hours. easily another 13-14 pints and wake up monday like ive been hit by a train. i do feel emotionallly and mentally ill till at least wensday mentally more than atin. anyway any tips would be appreciated. What do normal people do with there time on weekend Saturday nights.?

Im in da same boat as u but normally id go friday till sunday wit a bit of coke sumwere in between.Then be a shell of a person until thursday jus to start all over again.Ive basically bolloxed up a load of my life because of it lost great relationships because of my drinkin.I gave up 18 months ago for a month nd den went back drinkin tinkin i cud control my intake.But witnin a few weeks i was as bad as ever. So im startin again wit not drinkin at all jus cant control myself aftr iv had one or two.Try keep urself busy nd get up early tommorow.Go for a run, go to da cinema or out for a meal.Even go to aa nd jus sit in on a meetin u dont hav to tlk nd it passes an hour der all over da place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pablo89

firstday wrote: »
    Im in da same boat as u but normally id go friday till sunday wit a bit of coke sumwere in between.Then be a shell of a person until thursday jus to start all over again.Ive basically bolloxed up a load of my life because of it lost great relationships because of my drinkin.I gave up 18 months ago for a month nd den went back drinkin tinkin i cud control my intake.But witnin a few weeks i was as bad as ever. So im startin again wit not drinkin at all jus cant control myself aftr iv had one or two.Try keep urself busy nd get up early tommorow.Go for a run, go to da cinema or out for a meal.Even go to aa nd jus sit in on a meetin u dont hav to tlk nd it passes an hour der all over da place.

Thanks I failed to mention the white myself that's part and parcel. Im seen a couinceler and managed to stay of it for nearly 3 weeks and the bang last Saturday and Sunday I went full power again. Like yourself in thought I could control it and was convinced I'd be ok. My relationship is hurting over this also and I'm not convinced I'm able to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 firstday

Im started counselling myself nd im hopin its gona work. I know now myself i cant control it for da last 18 months ive been tryin to convince myself i can but aftr last weeknd ive finaly jus had to accept it cant.so im makin a commitment not to drink for a yr.if i dont stop now i dono how far it could go.
    On da possitve side my brother was 10 times worse den me he done 3 stints in rehab nd he ended up givin everyting nd hes happier now den ive ever seen. Wat he told was da biggest help was mindfulness meditation.He gave me a book called mindfulness by mark williams it comes wit a cd of the meditions so im gona giv it a shot . Playin a bit of online poker helped me pass sum time tonite

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pablo89

firstday wrote: »
    Im started counselling myself nd im hopin its gona work. I know now myself i cant control it for da last 18 months ive been tryin to convince myself i can but aftr last weeknd ive finaly jus had to accept it cant.so im makin a commitment not to drink for a yr.if i dont stop now i dono how far it could go.
    On da possitve side my brother was 10 times worse den me he done 3 stints in rehab nd he ended up givin everyting nd hes happier now den ive ever seen. Wat he told was da biggest help was mindfulness meditation.He gave me a book called mindfulness by mark williams it comes wit a cd of the meditions so im gona giv it a shot . Playin a bit of online poker helped me pass sum time tonite

Just have to try take it one weekend at a time. It's good to talk about you're demonds to someone one to one but I still went out and got hammered in theta process. That's good about you're brother hope he stays of
    it. Horrible culture we live in although I don't blame that. I no people who don't drink at all.I hope to be one of them one day. Instead of waking up buckled and keep on going to the next drink. I've a good job and gf I don't want to ruin that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hi Pablo.

You will find pretty much everyone in the non-drinkers forum can relate to your situation, I certainly can. Your best bet is to start reading the other threads here, you will see you are not alone and you will also get lots of links and resources to help you.

Best of luck!

Advertisement