Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unable to delete 5.5 Gb .mts file. Explorer crashes when I right click this file

• 20-05-2016 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Odd issue here, am unable to delete 5.5 Gb .mts file. Explorer crashes when I highlight or right click this file. I can delete the other files in this folder. I ran shexview-x64 and disabled most of the context handles. Tried to delete in safe mode, no joy. I notice the green bar never fully completes. Also unable to rename the file. Thoughts..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

mrtom wrote: »
    Odd issue here, am unable to delete 5.5 Gb .mts file. Explorer crashes when I highlight or right click this file. I can delete the other files in this folder. I ran shexview-x64 and disabled most of the context handles. Tried to delete in safe mode, no joy. I notice the green bar never fully completes. Also unable to rename the file. Thoughts..

Have you tried from dos? Keep hitting f8 I think on startup and select command prompt.
    It's been a while since I've needed it so it may not be f8 and may be command line or something like that.

You might be able to delete it at the command prompt, otherwise try it in safe mode with command prompt.

If that doesn't work, (there's probably other ways of doing this too) you can use the old HijackThis tool's "Delete a file on reboot" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Karsini wrote: »
    You might be able to delete it at the command prompt, otherwise try it in safe mode with command prompt.

If that doesn't work, (there's probably other ways of doing this too) you can use the old HijackThis tool's "Delete a file on reboot" option.

W 8.1. The path to the file is
    "This PC Videos j BBC_Two_HD-05152016-2333.mts"
    What is the full comand line to delete it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

In the Windows explorer window where you can see the file, hold shift and right click on the white space. The context menu should now have an option for "command prompt from here", select this then close the explorer window. In the command prompt window type delete filename.xyz and it should now successfully delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭homer911

You are looking at it from your video virtual folder, which is a collection of one or more physical folders

Right click on the file and select properties - within properties it will show the physical file location - copy this out.

In a DOS box type del "fullpathnamefromabove\filename" and press enter

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    You are looking at it from your video virtual folder, which is a collection of one or more physical folders

Right click on the file and select properties - within properties it will show the physical file location - copy this out.

In a DOS box type del "fullpathnamefromabove\filename" and press enter
    Any highlighting of the file causes Explorer to freeze.

SickBoy wrote: »
    In the Windows explorer window where you can see the file, hold shift and right click on the white space. The context menu should now have an option for "command prompt from here", select this then close the explorer window. In the command prompt window type delete filename.xyz and it should now successfully delete.

Thanks for that, what am I doing wrong in my syntax?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

command is del ( rather than delete )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Try booting into a Linux live cd and deleting it from there

Blinder wrote: »
    command is del ( rather than delete )

Nice one Blinder & Sick Boy, problem solved though I'v no idea what caused it. The cmd took some 50" to execute.The video file played fine (Pot player) so does that rule out naming protocol ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement