Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear Defenders

• 20-05-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

What ear defenders are lads using and where did ye buy?
    have a caldwel electric pair and the noise reduction is ok but not great for constant noise like shooting clays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have peltor active and passive pairs. The active I use mainly for pigeon decoying so I can enjoy the banter and are deadly at picking up incoming birds from behind you.
    The passive are cheep as chips and work well on clay grounds, are light weight less likely to cause fatigue.
    I have moulded ear plugs (industrial ) which you moulded yourself, they are quite handy for rough shooting if that's what you need.

Regardless of price or design fit is the most important, improper fitting ear defenders are all but useless.

A well fitted pair of filter tips off John Players Blue worked wonders on the range when you lost your issued orange ear plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Chiparus wrote: »

I highly recommend these, excellent pair of hearing protection. Amazon have them on offer at the moment for about €55ish with free postage.
    That pair on eBay is €63 with postage and assuming you don't get hit with a customs fee when they land this side of the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I saw them ones on amazon.. 4.5/5 with 9000 reviews..
    I was considering maybe going for this pair

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic-Earmuff-R-01902/dp/B007BGSI5U

its got a nrr of 30db compared to the 22db nrr of the sport model.. just looking at the idea of the added protection or would the 22db nrr be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have not used the larger ear defenders , but the sport model is fantastic, plus being slimmer that are vey comfortable. Hearing protection is more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Whatever you get, make sure they're water resistant. The cheaper ones usually aren't. Even light rain can quickly screw them up otherwise.

Also, if you are doing clays check that they don't hit off the stock when you mount the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I treated myself to a pair of Etymotic in-ear electronic defenders. Love them - can talk and shoot at the same time and they have a small enhancement function, which is a degree or two above noticeable, but not James Bond.

Made for musicians, but work for a hunter like me. Sound quality is excellent, if you believe a deaf old coot.

About 300$ on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Just saw a pair of Howard Leigh by Honeywell ear defenders on Amazon. There on sale with a price of £37 down from £133. Works out at €60 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Luckysasha wrote:
    Just saw a pair of Howard Leigh by Honeywell ear defenders on Amazon. There on sale with a price of £37 down from £133. Works out at €60 delivered.

I actually bought these yesterday morning. Just waiting on delivery by post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha wrote: »

I already have a pair I bout at Courtlough, but they are a bit on the bulky side. These HL ones on amazon look a bit less chunky, so it's tempting tbh. Plus, use Parcel motel and they come to around €53 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

goz83 wrote:
    I already have a pair I bout at Courtlough, but they are a bit on the bulky side. These HL ones on amazon look a bit less chunky, so it's tempting tbh. Plus, use Parcel motel and they come to around €53 delivered.

I paid about €65 delivered but I also got a protective case for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Chiparus wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    There great sound wise. I find them very uncomfortable tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    These are now €42.50 on Amazon with parcel motel you'd have them for €46 and they can't be beaten at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001T7QJ9O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468221492&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=howard+leight&dpPl=1&dpID=413LEFbzvIL&ref=plSrch

That's great value alright. Tempting!

goz83 wrote: »
    That's great value alright. Tempting!

Take the plunge you won't get close to their quality at that price. I'm tempted to get a spare pair at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I went ahead and got these a couple of months back. £45 sterling from Amazon. I find them great not only for shooting but even for strimming the grass. Very comfortable even when looking through a rifle scope. I shoot CCI stingers and they really reduce the sound.

There's nothing is that price range that can touch them.

Take the plunge you won't get close to their quality at that price. I'm tempted to get a spare pair at that price.

I think I might. Although I need to shell out for a pigeon decoy set and hide equipment too.

goz83 wrote: »
    I think I might. Although I need to shell out for a pigeon decoy set and hide equipment too.

Your ears are more important than a few decoys.

Your ears are more important than a few decoys.

I've got a few sets of plugs and a good pair of defenders. The only problem I have with any of them, is that it makes it hard to have a conversation while the're in/on. So, i'm covered on the ear protection, and without those decoys, there'll be very little going on worth protecting my ears anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Mine arrived today, much better quality than a similarly priced one I picked up in the states last year.
    A little big if you're intending to wear without a hat and you have a small head but otherwise great.
    Sound quality is quite good, not as good as top of the range obviously but still very good value for money.

Advertisement