Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural engineer fees

Options
  • 20-05-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm planning on having a new kitchen extension built, approx 16m squared. It also involves installing a downstairs loo under the existing stairs. The quote for the build is e40,000 inclusive of vat. My question is regarding the engineer's fees. I've been quoted a few of 6% of the cost of the build, works out as e2600. I wasn't planning on using an architect as its a very straightforward and small build. It seems like a lot to pay though maybe it's standard? Any advice or feedback would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not the cheapest price I've seen, but it's not overly expensive either, far from it.
    What exactly are they providing though?
    Are they giving the builder structural drawings?
    Are they certifying the works on compliance with planning and building relations?
    Are they providing direct supervision of the build and inspecting it in stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 olivecath

Thanks for your reply kceire, I have asked for a breakdown of services he would provide, he took almost three weeks to come back to me with the initial quote so am also a bit wary of engaging with him if he's that slow throughout the project..

Where are you based?
    Typically we wouldn't break down a project like this as there's not much to break down. If they were providing planning, tender, supervision etc then there's more scope to break down the costs but in this case I would just provide a one off price as here's nothing to break down.

He may be able to break it down slight though on second thinking, maybe into design, inspections and certification but all 3 items will still equate to the final figure so does it really matter?

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Typically we wouldn't break down a project like this as there's not much to break down. If they were providing planning, tender, supervision etc then there's more scope to break down the costs but in this case I would just provide a one off price as here's nothing to break down.

He may be able to break it down slight though on second thinking, maybe into design, inspections and certification but all 3 items will still equate to the final figure so does it really matter?

I'm based in Dublin. I've never had to use the services of a structural engineer so I think it does matter as I'd like to know what it involves and could ascertain if the cost is justified. You broke it down in your first reply no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

olivecath wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin. I've never had to use the services of a structural engineer so I think it does matter as I'd like to know what it involves and could ascertain if the cost is justified. You broke it down in your first reply no?

No, kc did not break down the 2,600
    he asked what are you getting for your fee, with a few pointers.

The title says structural engineer which suggests some clearly identified design issues that require structural engineering skills such as RSJ design for example.

This activity as a standalone with paperwork is about 750 to 1000 plus vat

General engineering skills on such a project can encompass a much wider range of tasks, some of which kc has listed so you need to identify what you need and then see who is providing them.
    For example who is dong the ventilation strategy?
    Ditto for insulation, heating requirements, materials specification and such like.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Well there's not a lot to break down based on the info you supplied.
    Get 3 quotes for the same brief and compare.

No, kc did not break down the 2,600
    he asked what are you getting for your fee, with a few pointers.

The title says structural engineer which suggests some clearly identified design issues that require structural engineering skills such as RSJ design for example.

This activity as a standalone with paperwork is about 750 to 1000 plus vat

General engineering skills on such a project can encompass a much wider range of tasks, some of which kc has listed so you need to identify what you need and then see who is providing them.
    For example who is dong the ventilation strategy?
    Ditto for insulation, heating requirements, materials specification and such like.

The 2600 was never broken down, getting into semantics but what was broken down were the potential services provided, not the cost of each service alone, so thanks for the clarification.

The 2600 was never broken down, getting into semantics but what was broken down were the potential services provided, not the cost of each service alone, so thanks for the clarification.

Yo be fair I wouldn't provide much of a break down in your proposed works either. There's not much to break down.

Does it need planning?
    Will it go for tender?

The break down in payments would usually be :

Planning
    Tender
    Construction supervision
    Certification

You are only doing 2 of these stages. Construction and certification.

kceire wrote: »
    Yo be fair I wouldn't provide much of a break down in your proposed works either. There's not much to break down.

Does it need planning?
    Will it go for tender?

The break down in payments would usually be :

Planning
    Tender
    Construction supervision
    Certification

You are only doing 2 of these stages. Construction and certification.

You're right, I'm just learning about this as I go and yes it's just supervision and certification which I know are very important and want to do it right. I will try and get another quote and see how it compares. I suppose I was wondering about the percentage aspect of the cost, or would it normally be a flat rate for drawings, site visits and certification, I imagine it would be straight forward a builder as no load bearing walls being knocked and such. Anyway thanks for the info.

You're right, I'm just learning about this as I go and yes it's just supervision and certification which I know are very important and want to do it right. I will try and get another quote and see how it compares. I suppose I was wondering about the percentage aspect of the cost, or would it normally be a flat rate for drawings, site visits and certification, I imagine it would be straight forward a builder as no load bearing walls being knocked and such. Anyway thanks for the info.

No problem. If you'd like an official second quote please send PM and I can offer a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

Do you even need one?

Do you even need one?

They probably don't "need" one structurally, but looking for one to get the required certificates so they don't need them in the future. Also technically speaking, the engineer can oversee ground conditions, foundations and in particular the floor build up with the required new SR21 IS888 2016 requirements.

Do you even need one?

It's a requirement from the bank also, for finance.

It's a requirement from the bank also, for finance.

So you need supervision and stage payments certification.

Advertisement