Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTB adjudication

Options
  • 20-05-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi.

Looking for some advice please. We recently issued our tenants with a 14 day arrears notice followed by a 28 day notice of termination. Thanks to days and days of scouring through invaluable threads on here I was confident that both were issued correctly and were valid. The rent arrears were eventually paid within the 28 day period and the tenants 'requested' that we retract the termination notice. Having spent almost three years chasing rent every single month we declined their request! They opened a dispute with the RTB which we fully expected them to do.

This week the RTB got in touch informing me that the tenants have refused telephone meditation and want adjudication instead. So we await a date for this. In the meantime we would like to get prepared. So I'd appreciate some advice on what paperwork would be useful to bring along and what to expect on the day. First timers obviously! Thanks in advance ☺

Oh, by the way, the RTB caller confirmed that both notices were issued correctly and are completely valid, so I'll be bringing those along clearly!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bring as much history if the issues as possible. Emails, texts etc etc. Have all the facts regardless if you intend to use them or not.

I had an adjudication a couple of years ago. I either had card copies or soft copies off every interaction with the then tenants. They turned up with nothing. The facts spoke for themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Best of luck with it. If it is a valid notice of termination then hopefully you will be ok but the PRTB will do everything they can to find in favour of the tenant. Have statements, letters, texts or anything else related to the tenancy on hand.
    They will also try to sway you to let the tenant stay. Stand firm and get them out as you don't need the aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Does the rent get paid into your bank account? If so, the obvious evidence is a copy of the lease showing the date the rent is due & then copies of the bank statements for three years showing the date the rent was actually lodged.
    Also copies of any written correspondence between you & the tenant over late rent.

I'm not that familiar with the process but I guess if the tenants didn't clear the arrears within the 14 days, then the notice of termination is valid (even though they paid within the 28 days)?
    I'd make sure that you are well familiar with the laws in this area. If the notice to quit is valid then how can the PRTB rule against you?

Come back & update us please!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Thanks all.

I'm fully expecting there will be tears on the day (not mine I hope!) and that we'll be pushed by the adjudicator to back down regardless of the facts.

We have plenty of evidence now that I think about it. Texts, a detailed rent book, bank statements, previous 14 day arrears notices etc. I'll start compiling it all now!

I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

Update following the adjudication last week: invalid notice of termination according to rtb. It appears that because this family have ALWAYS paid their rent late over almost three years then that's ok and we have no right to either chase them for rent or evict them...Days after hearing the result I must admit I'm still fairly speechless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Onthefence wrote: »
    Update following the adjudication last week: invalid notice of termination according to rtb. It appears that because this family have ALWAYS paid their rent late over almost three years then that's ok and we have no right to either chase them for rent or evict them...Days after hearing the result I must admit I'm still fairly speechless.

Hmm, that doesn't follow from the letter of the law, but I suppose it does from the spirit of the law. Was there at least some direction to the tenants to start paying on time again or have they now been given free reign to pay when they feel like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hmm, that doesn't follow from the letter of the law, but I suppose it does from the spirit of the law. Was there at least some direction to the tenants to start paying on time again or have they now been given free reign to pay when they feel like it?

There is no penalty for paying the arrears within the notice period.

From my reading of it, there is not rule/law saying they can't do this indefinitely.

Why don't you think this isn't following the letter of the law.

No direction to the tenants that we've been made aware of. We were more or less told to back off. The payment date as per the original lease is irrelevant it seems.

They are not in arrears if they pay within the notice period.

While annoying, its not a reason to evict as far as I'm aware. I'm open to correction.

They paid within the 28 day period, not the 14 day arrears period.

• Advertisement

Ok sorry I misread that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

So what's the next option?

Did they give you any documentation of their adjudication decision. it would seem to be in breech of the regulations.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    So what's the next option?

Try to establIsh if there is a new payment date I suppose? If we have the right to ever chase rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would suggest sell or take back for you or a close family member in need of it.

Also is rent at local rate of other similar property.

They will be very difficult to get out. As is just been proven.

Rent, while not anywhere near market rate, was increased recently so no change can be made there.

Might have to look into your other suggestions.

beauf wrote: »
    Did they give you any documentation of their adjudication decision. it would seem to be in breech of the regulations.

Yes we received an adjudication report. It clearly says that because the rent is always late then we wrong to issue notice of termination.

Another joke of a decision, tenants (and I am one) just have far too much power and the RTB are worse for pandering to them.
    Yes we received an adjudication report. It clearly says that because the rent is always late then we wrong to issue notice of termination.

Can you appeal it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Another joke of a decision, tenants (and I am one) just have far too much power and the RTB are worse for pandering to them.

Can you appeal it?

That was going to be my next question. There is a process where you can appeal a RTB determination order, it looks like the appeal is heard before a 3 person panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

That seems to be completely ridiculous - it proves once again, that as far as the landlord is concerned, no lease, no arrangement, no agreement, no dates, no anything is worth the paper it's written on.

And as for the idea that tenants cannot be moved until a house/apt is sold .... the chances of tenanted houses being in 'viewing condition' is minimal. Even with the owner living in a house, think of the amount of cleaning and preparation that is put into it before putting it on view. Why would a tenant bother doing that? Absolute and utter stupidity once again from our government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

OP, In your first post you say the RTB caller said the notices were completely valid. But the adjudication says they weren't. Do you still ahve details of that initial call and caller's name etc and chase up why they gave you wrong info then?

I wonder can you use this to query the wording of the act with the prtb.

I suspect though with the crisis in housing the LL rights and the tenants obligations will be at the bottom of anyone's priority. That LL will leave the market because of thing like this. Seems to be forgotten.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

And as for the idea that tenants cannot be moved until a house/apt is sold

Tenants can be moved to facilitate the sale of a house.

Can you appeal it?

We can appeal but seriously why would we bother? There's no reason to believe it would change the outcome unfortunately.

The part IV tenancy will end eventually and we can terminate then right? With a whopping 112 days notice!

We can appeal but seriously why would we bother? There's no reason to believe it would change the outcome unfortunately.
    !

I would appeal just on the principal of it even if I thought I wouldn't win. Also its not unknown for the PRTB to overturn decisions.

Try get more paper work together, how you are struggling to pay your mortgage and you cannot continue the way things are.

How long are the tenants living there?

When you eventually get them out rent the rooms in the house separately and retain access it will minimise your risk and give you more control over your property.

OP, In your first post you say the RTB caller said the notices were completely valid. But the adjudication says they weren't. Do you still ahve details of that initial call and caller's name etc and chase up why they gave you wrong info then?

I know we would be told that, while the notices were totally valid in theory and correct according to rtb guidelines, when the whole picture is taken into account they're invalid based on the precedent set by continuously late rent.

I'm sorry if I sound defeatist but on this issue I very much feel defeated 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I agree - part of the media rubbish ghat promotes rights to everything & responsibility for nothing.

Ok - so I assume they are saying that you set a precedent of acceptance by allowing this continue for 3 years. In fairness - 3 years of messing - what were you thinking of? Can you appeal - once you have this apoeal decision in writing - and say - if you did not already - that this puts huge personal strain on your debt arrangements & finance & that your curcumstances have changed & you can no longer accelt ghe worry, ongoing stress & financial strain you have & have to insist on the contracted rent due day being met . Etc

You should get free legal advice & not be messing about at this stage - go to the free legal aid with all your documents, apoeal details, bank statements etc & ask for their legal perspective. Not citizens advice which us jyst an opinion - free legal advice (FLAV) centers - make an appointment & ask for an office where someone will have housing legal expertise.

...When you eventually get them out rent the rooms in the house separately and retain access it will minimise your risk and give you more control over your property.

I know why you're suggesting that, but that can be an even bigger nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Double check this and get someone else like a family member to check it all as well.

There is no way that the adjudicator/mediator should be telling you that a valid notice as specified by statute is suddenly not valid because a tenant has never paid on time!
    No direction to the tenants that we've been made aware of. We were more or less told to back off. The payment date as per the original lease is irrelevant it seems.
    They paid within the 28 day period, not the 14 day arrears period.
    Once they passed the arrears notice your notice of termination once worded and delivered properly is valid and should be backed up by the RTB. there may of course be some political interference in their adjudications and tribunal decisions to massage the "homeless" figures.
    I would love to see that in print next to a copy of your notice of termination(redacted for anonymity)
    Graham wrote: »
    Tenants can be moved to facilitate the sale of a house.
    Only under strictly controlled conditions since the new rules came in. House must be sold within a certain period and if not sold must be offered back to previous tenant at the same rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they've been in 3 years their Part 4 is nearly up. Get the notification to them ASAP that you aren't renewing.

Advertisement