Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1TB FUP, IPTV, throttling, and future FTTH

Options
  • 20-05-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a line that is now enabled for 30 Mb eFibre. (I am on ADSL2 17 Mb as yet). I am considering going to eFibre and possibly getting IPTV too. I am still in contract for ADSL2 , I called 1901 and was given the ok to proceed to eFibre if I want to, getting a fresh 18 month contract.

My town is also on the list for FTTH "within 12 months" at https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/2016/03/03/eir-reveals-first-100k-rural-locations-to-get-1gbps-broadband

Because I am in contract, Eir is the only option I have for fibre right now, Besides, I'd want to be able to move to FTTH if/when that becomes available. However I am worried about the 1TB FUP, as we do use streaming video/youtube/TV a lot, and at high speeds it could easily exceed 1TB. So I am tempted to wait until the end of the contract and get a competitor's service without a FUP traffic limit, unless I can resolve my FUP worries before ordering.

I was thinking of getting Eir's IPTV service. But I need to know: will the traffic for this service count towards the 1TB FUP? Also, can the service be used on PCs/mobiles, or only on Eir's own box?

Also, I do not really need HD video. I would happily throttle youtube and other streaming sites so that they would keep running at 480p, removing any threat of exceeding the FUP. (Netflix has a self-throttling setting, thankfully). Would the router that Eir supplies provide a way to throttle traffic? (I would ideally throttle it individually for every host in my home network, so that a few PCs can watch youtube at say 5 mb/s each, but not more).

And last: when FTTH rolls out, is the 1TB FUP applicable on it too? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a line that is now enabled for 30 Mb eFibre. (I am on ADSL2 17 Mb as yet). I am considering going to eFibre and possibly getting IPTV too. I am still in contract for ADSL2 , I called 1901 and was given the ok to proceed to eFibre if I want to, getting a fresh 18 month contract.

My town is also on the list for FTTH "within 12 months" at https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/2016/03/03/eir-reveals-first-100k-rural-locations-to-get-1gbps-broadband

Because I am in contract, Eir is the only option I have for fibre right now, Besides, I'd want to be able to move to FTTH if/when that becomes available. However I am worried about the 1TB FUP, as we do use streaming video/youtube/TV a lot, and at high speeds it could easily exceed 1TB. So I am tempted to wait until the end of the contract and get a competitor's service without a FUP traffic limit, unless I can resolve my FUP worries before ordering.

I was thinking of getting Eir's IPTV service. But I need to know: will the traffic for this service count towards the 1TB FUP? Also, can the service be used on PCs/mobiles, or only on Eir's own box?

Also, I do not really need HD video. I would happily throttle youtube and other streaming sites so that they would keep running at 480p, removing any threat of exceeding the FUP. (Netflix has a self-throttling setting, thankfully). Would the router that Eir supplies provide a way to throttle traffic? (I would ideally throttle it individually for every host in my home network, so that a few PCs can watch youtube at say 5 mb/s each, but not more).

And last: when FTTH rolls out, is the 1TB FUP applicable on it too? 
    Hi MichaelR,

Thanks for getting in touch. :)

No the eir Vision traffic will not affect the 1TB download allowance when connected via the eir Vision box however if you connect on your PC or mobile via wifi this will contribute to your download allowance. Should you download the eir Vision go app and your mobile service is with eir mobile your usage will not contribute to your data allowance.

The FUP would apply to all packages. The efibre modem would not be able to limit the speed of devices connected to it I'm afraid, You can view the manual for our efibre modem here http://support.eir.ie/assets/static/images/support/responsive/download/f2000-eir.pdf

There is an HD add on pack that you can avail of for €5 extra per month, you can read more on this here https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thank you!

So - if I get the Eir Extreme (Fibre to the Home) option one day, the FUP will apply to that too? Or is the FUP an eFibre thing? Eir Extreme is not available to me right now but the town is on the list.

Also, do I get any warning if I am in danger of exceeding the FUP. or is it just billed in the next bill without warning? (I did read that the FUP excess fee is limited to 100 Euro a month).

Regarding Eir Vision: 

- is there a part of my 30M speed that I will lose to it if I order it? 
    - does Eir Vision include an on-demand service, or just the TV channels? 
    - if I want to use Eir Vision on the box and on the laptop at the same time, do I have to purchase the Multiroom add-on?
    - does the Eir Vision box also support AVI/MKV files? Youtube? Netflix?
    - Finally, if I order just broadband right now, can I order Eir Vision later?

I'm actually quite happy that by default Eir Vision does not include HD. I do not need HD.

Also if I get a 30M eFibre service, what is the expected upload speed? It is important for me as I telecommute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thank you!

So - if I get the Eir Extreme (Fibre to the Home) option one day, the FUP will apply to that too? Or is the FUP an eFibre thing? Eir Extreme is not available to me right now but the town is on the list.

Also, do I get any warning if I am in danger of exceeding the FUP. or is it just billed in the next bill without warning? (I did read that the FUP excess fee is limited to 100 Euro a month).

Regarding Eir Vision: 

- is there a part of my 30M speed that I will lose to it if I order it? 
    - does Eir Vision include an on-demand service, or just the TV channels? 
    - if I want to use Eir Vision on the box and on the laptop at the same time, do I have to purchase the Multiroom add-on?
    - does the Eir Vision box also support AVI/MKV files? Youtube? Netflix?
    - Finally, if I order just broadband right now, can I order Eir Vision later?

I'm actually quite happy that by default Eir Vision does not include HD. I do not need HD.

Also if I get a 30M eFibre service, what is the expected upload speed? It is important for me as I telecommute.
    No problem. Yes the FUP would apply to the fibre to the home also & there would be a €100 cap to this. You can view all information on this online here; https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf on page 5 note 3. We would send customers notification of a rather large balance on their account, so once the system recognises a rather high amount of usage on your account an automatic text is sent to notify you of the large balance however it can also just reflect on the following bill. You can also track your usage on your My Eir account online here; https://my.eir.ie/eir/transactional/login. 
    In relation to the Eir Vision. If you add the Eir vision to your account 20MB speed will be deducted from your broadband to support this. The upload speed would depend on the profile speed set on your line so this can be queried further with the technical team on 1890260260 once the broadband is active. At the moment we would not have an on demand service however you can record programmes & also rent movies on your TV. You can view further information online here; https://www.eir.ie/tv/movies. We also have an Eir vision go app that you can connect up to two devices to whether is be your ipad, laptop or smartphone & watch the selected 50 channels on the go. In relation to the Eir vision box supporting the ABI/MKV I'm afraid this would not be supported. If you wish to order the broadband today you can do so on 1800503303  & on a later date if you would like to then apply the Eir vision you can do so no problem. We do currently have a ongoing promotion that the more services you apply the greater the discount. So if you wish to query your options further you can reach the sales team on the above number & they would be happy to run through available discounts, plans etc. - Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thank you very much!

I will not order Eir Vision as I only get 30MB, and a deduction of 20MB will just leave me with 10 - less than what I have now. However, I think 1TB FUP on 30MB speed is workable and I'll probably order the broadband. (I now use around 150GB on 15MB speed, and while video quality might jump, I seem to have some leeway here).

1TB FUP on 1GB speed is probably not workable without a traffic-shaping router, but we'll cross that bridge when we reach it. If I do get FTTH and the FUP is not modified by this time, I'll look into buying my own router with traffic shaping (routers with Qualcomm StreamBoost can do it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

No problem at all. I understand the speed would decrease quite a bit if you added the TV also. You will always be notified of any improvements in speeds are available on your line so maybe at a later date you can apply for the TV. Stacey

• Advertisement
Advertisement