Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fargo Season 3 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

el diablo wrote: »
    Also agree that the ending was poor. Ewan McGregor is an awful actor. We'll have to wait a year to find out if Varga gets away or not.
    :p

No, we won't. The next season will have nothing to do with this season.

Overall it was decent but badly let down by the final episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

secman wrote: »
    Really enjoyed season 2 it was a brilliant watch....but season 3 was "paint drying " viewing , gsve up afyer episode 3... dire all together.

it was class esp the two episodes directed by irish lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished. The ending felt like a cliffhanger but wiki says a fourth season is on hiatus until they come up for an idea for it.

The slaughtering of Vargas goons was well set up.

The killing of Nikkia and the cop and then Glorias reaction felt very Fargo :)

They explored some cool ideas and led me down some deep googling rabbit holes which I never found the end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    saying this season was muck is pure scutter thought it was class , not quite as good as season two . But calling it muck get a ****ing grip .
    That doesn't argue against my points, you know. Okay, you disagree, but so? My post was voicing my displeasure of the season and my reasons, but your post is just "I disagree". Okay now.

This season was like being forced to drink a man's piss, and not fighting back. At all, in any way. Tough to swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just thought V.M. Varga was an absolutely excellent character. Thewlis was superb.

That last scene was up there among the best scenes in the series so far. There's none that stand out to me, right now, that top it, but that could well be just because I haven't watched the other seasons in a while.

Ewan McGregor was also great. Didn't think his character deserved what happened at any point of the show.

Just one question - what was the significance of the opening scene in episode 1? Didn't have any standout link, to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

briany wrote: »

Just one question - what was the significance of the opening scene in episode 1? Didn't have any standout link, to my mind.

It was deliberately shot to mirror the last scene, they are very similar, Not sure what to take away from them though, I suppose you could take it as an indication that Varga will get off the hook again as in the first scene it didn't matter that the guy was obviously telling, the truth his fate had already been decided. In the final scene Carrie Coons character is telling the truth but it doesn't matter either as Vargas fate has already been decided. A bit of a simplistic way of looking at it but could be what we are supposed to take away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Veteran TV writer Ken Levine has written a rant (his term) about the season finale, here, which contains spoilers:
    I'm certainly not saying you have to be a happy ending. It can be unsettling, sad, horrific, shocking, surprising, hopeful, weird, wistful – whatever. And you don’t have to tie up every loose end. You don’t have to wrap everything up in a pretty package. But give us SOMETHING. And I’m sorry but characters killing each other off like ducks in a shooting gallery is not SOMETHING.

Sometimes you can be just too artsy, too quirky, too clever for your own good.

They just lost one viewer. And Emmy vote.
    I've been recording the series from C4, am two episodes in so far, and I think I'll stop there. It's slow in an way that the original movie wasn't. McGregor's accents, both of them, are kicking me out of the story every time he opens his mouth. Mary Elizabeth WInstead (Nikki) is good but she hasn't had much to work with so far - like, why is she with that loser in the first place? Just to wreck his head with stunts like
    the tampon incident
    ?

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

That doesn't argue against my points, you know. Okay, you disagree, but so? My post was voicing my displeasure of the season and my reasons, but your post is just "I disagree". Okay now.

This season was like being forced to drink a man's piss, and not fighting back. At all, in any way. Tough to swallow.

suck up the piss so and mind the dribbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Binged on it last few days and enjoyed it. Not as much as the previous two seasons though.

Thewlis was a riot in his role though. I liked the ambiguous ending with his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought it was a good season. The villain was superb. By far the stand out character and the actor should win an award

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Thought the series was great up until Ray was killed then really seemed to lose its way. Final episode was just terrible, no real need for nikki or emmet to die. Just all seemed a bit pointless. Not a patch on the first two series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think Nikki had to die as she caused so much of the carnage and had her chance to get away and spurned it.
    She blamed Emmett for Rays death but she more than anyone is responsible for his death and needed to pay for it .

Emmet though ,having survived so long not sure why Mr Wrench would feel the need 5 years on to get involved again.

Overall I enjoyed it , even though it was probably the weakest of the three seasons , a weak Fargo is still far superior to most tv shows.

I will say the Aliens in Season 2 and the Angels? in season 3 are very out of place , do not add anything or move the plot on really and could easily be dropped.

I will say the Aliens in Season 2 and the Angels? in season 3 are very out of place , do not add anything or move the plot on really and could easily be dropped.

Pretentious drivel imo. Like some of the overly-superfluous camera-shots -> upside-down room panning/zooming etc I'm looking at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Another thing, what was the story with the very 1st scene in the series ? the interrogation in East Berlin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Another thing, what was the story with the very 1st scene in the series ? the interrogation in East Berlin ?

Not 100% sure but it does tie in that the name of the person they suspect has strangled his girlfriend is the same name as the Cossack who works for Varga and had his ear chopped off.

So mistaken identity is a theme through out the show and maybe it foreshadows the rest of the tale.

There was a bit about Reagan at the start of Season 2 I never quiet understood either !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

My take on the first scene - which could be very wrong - is that Yuri Gurka killed his girlfriend Helga and fled Germany before he got caught.

The bowling alley was then a sort of "judgement room" for near death experiences. Nikki and Wrench were for whatever reason let live, but Yuri wasnt, and was reminded of his past as the reason for why.

That and he likely killed a **** load of people for Varga too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

:mad::mad::mad:

Dammit - had been recording this and saving it for a mid-summer binge watch.

Went to start it last night and Episode 1 is missing for some inexplicable reason....it's not available on Sky Box-Sets/Catch Up or Channel 4OD.

Possible daft question but will I be totally lost/wasting my time starting on Episode 2 (after reading up on episode walkthroughs, reviews etc for the first one)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

Dammit - had been recording this and saving it for a mid-summer binge watch.

Went to start it last night and Episode 1 is missing for some inexplicable reason....it's not available on Sky Box-Sets/Catch Up or Channel 4OD.

Possible daft question but will I be totally lost/wasting my time starting on Episode 2 (after reading up on episode walkthroughs, reviews etc for the first one)?

Do a search online. You'll find it. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

secman wrote: »
    Really enjoyed season 2 it was a brilliant watch....but season 3 was "paint drying " viewing , gsve up afyer episode 3... dire all together.

Thanks for this, as is the first series I have watched, so now I have season 2 to look forward to !
    I thought season 3 ended so badly...****e actually..IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Been avoiding this thread thus far, as am yet to tackle series 3.

Where would folks rank it against the 2 that preceded it? I thought the first season was hugely enjoyable & terrifically paced & plotted, though was surprised season 2 was held in similarly high regard - I thought it dropped off several levels tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Starts a bit strange. Think how Season 2 ends but not as much. Very thinkey.

Gets into classic Fargo just after episode 3. Gets good tbh.

Peaks around 75% in.

Ending is alright but never got back to the peak (that was about 75% in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

pedatron wrote: »
    I would almost be certain it was
    Nikki and the mute guy from season one. They got access to Vargas files

He was in Season 1? Remind me please.
    dadad231 wrote: »
    Good post, It was a disappointing season alright, it did start with such promise though, but the 2nd half let it down.
    For me, it was the other way round - I thought it was a very slow starter, but I enjoyed it more as it went on.
    Binged on it last few days and enjoyed it. Not as much as the previous two seasons though.

Thewlis was a riot in his role though. I liked the ambiguous ending with his character.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I enjoyed it a lot, including the episodes that wandered away from the primary story and even the weird ending. Could it be the set up for a 4th series? It would go against the way Fargo has gone so far with separate stories and years. Thewlis was great but McGregor was too for my money and Mary Elizabeth Winstead who played Nikki. She has a cute cheeky presence which worked well against the type she was actually playing

Mary Elizabeth Winstead who played Nikki. She has a cute cheeky presence which worked well against the type she was actually playing

She reminded me of a slightly younger Linda Cardellini from ER & Scooby Doo - here's the two of them side by side;

http://moejackson.com/2013/02/24/fashionable-ladies-2013-film-independent-spirit-awards/ifc-linda-cardellini-mary-winstead-emily-osment-brittany-snow-paula-patton-02241301/

She reminded me of the young Joan Jett and there's nothing wrong with that!

tumblr_m6eo9zMpQj1rzl7s6o1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ER and Scooby Doo? She was in Freaks and Geeks and Mad Men! :D (also Bloodline)

ER and Scooby Doo? She was in Freaks and Geeks and Mad Men! :D (also Bloodline)

I'm obviously showing my age.

Is anyone else just a bit reluctant about googing for 'VM Varga'?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't garbage. Somewhere in between good and very good. I felt the 3rd episode which was seemingly pointless took the steam out of it, so it took til episode 5 to find momentum.

The performances were fantastic all round imo.

I hated the new chief character, ridiculously thick.

The last episode was very disappointing.

From 5-9 it was gripping though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,978 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

McGregor has left his wife for Winstead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

First series, brilliant.
    Second series, very good.
    Third series, watched about half hour of first episode, had to turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Third season was very good, David Thewlis was amazing in it. Not as good as the masterpiece of the second season but still quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Season 1 9/10
    Season 2 8/10
    Season 3 7/10

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I said she was cute! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Third season was very good, David Thewlis was amazing in it. Not as good as the masterpiece of the second season but still quality.

It was worth watching for Thewlis alone I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

I thought it was genuinely awful. I'd rank the seasons somewhat different.

Season 1 - 10/10
    Season 2 - 9/10
    Season 3 - 4/10

I'd give props to the female lead and like others have said Thewlis was excellent, but the story and execution let the whole thing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons are now an item. Must be something in the air on set :D.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5003913/Kirsten-Dunst-fiance-Jesse-Plemons-grocery-run.html

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Can't really blame him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Binged the three series there on Netflix and my ratings would go
    Series 1 9/10
    Series 2 7/10
    Series 3 8/10

I thought series 2 lost me a bit with the UFO’s and characters I couldn’t warm to.

Series 3 had excellent performances from Ewan McGregor as Ray and Emmit which btw won him a Golden Globe, I loved Carrie Coon and a fantastic performance from David Thewlis and his scary rotten teeth as VM Varga!

I look forward to season 4 next year it’s one of the best shows I’ve see on a long while.

Watching this finally. On episode 6. Can't believe I put if off for almost 3 years. :pac: Great stuff once again.

• Advertisement

Season 4 airs 19 April 2020 in the US, don’t know if channel 4 will have it this time around.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-01-13/fargo-season-four-release-date/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

who_ru wrote: »
    Season 4 airs 19 April 2020 in the US, don’t know if channel 4 will have it this time around.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-01-13/fargo-season-four-release-date/

Wuhoo!

Overall I'm of the opinion that Fargo season 2 is probably the best TV series i have ever seen, superior in every way almost. Can't think of anything that equals it or is better than it. Essential viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

who_ru wrote: »
    Overall I'm of the opinion that Fargo season 2 is probably the best TV series i have ever seen, superior in every way almost. Can't think of anything that equals it or is better than it. Essential viewing.

Agreed 100%. One of the best seasons of television I have ever seen. I must watch it again actually.

For me, season 2 didn't work due to the butcher couple main characters of Dunst and Piemons who I just found annoying. Maybe even if it was someone else other than Dunst I might have like it. I could have cared less if one of the red-herring UFO's swooped down and scooped them up out of the blue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement