Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday Night 80's

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Can't believe its the last show this weekend - that show has been blaring in my car any Friday night I have been driving. Just pure cheese & sing a long music! Sad loss for Friday nights :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

like most people here i am very dissapointed that this show is being axed,friday nights wont be the same without friday night 80s anymore,hopefully today fm will realise that they made a mistake,one of the only shows that i used to listen to on today fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

One of the longest running shows on Irish national radio ends this evening ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm listening for the last time. It's amazing the memories it's bringing back over the years. I'm now married with a daughter. I'm fondly remembering every Friday night in my early twenties getting ready to go out as I sang along. It's a lifetime ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Little cameo from Tim Kelly just now, nice to see.

He's staying on for the last hour.

Going to miss this show :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Are they sacking Phil or is he getting a new job? i see Tim has come down from the TK Building

For everyone who was struggling to remember all the former presenters, Phil and Tim are doing the same on air!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Cliff Walker, Breffni Clack and Marty Miller (or Morty, as Phil and Tim referred to him as, due to his 'morketing' background) are three others mentioned. Now, I remember Breffni presenting a show called Late Night Love in the early 2000s, and Marty Miller on Dad Rock on a Sunday. But, I don't recall ever hearing them doing Friday Night 80s. Unless they filled in.

Or course, Breffni is now on Q102 as a newsreader and occasional presenter of The Love Zone. Marty is on Nova, but I don't know about Cliff Walker.

Just to add, there have been a few nice stories involving Tony Fenton thrown in this evening :)

A very nice send off for the show, well worth a listen back if you missed it.

Here's the last song, very apt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

liam7831 wrote: »
    Are they sacking Phil or is he getting a new job? i see Tim has come down from the TK Building

No phil, is presenting a new friday night show friday night anthems he said on the louise duffy show. It will be at the same time for a few weeks before it moves to a 9pm start.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

The new boss at Today FM seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way, Phil clearly not happy...Shauna and Eoghan on Friday Night 90's cast aside, older staples of the station pushed out, Louise Duffy bumped to 7pm...interesting times. Actually on Phil, today on Louise Duffy's last show when he said "we've been talking for almost 4 mins" Louise responded "oh he'll kill us"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IUA14 wrote: »
    The new boss at Today FM seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way, Phil clearly not happy...Shauna and Eoghan on Friday Night 90's cast aside, older staples of the station pushed out, Louise Duffy bumped to 7pm...interesting times. Actually on Phil, today on Louise Duffy's last show when he said "we've been talking for almost 4 mins" Louise responded "oh he'll kill us"...

Maybe pushing out the oldies and freshening things up is what's needed?

I mean, as much as I love FN80's and FN90's, and as popular as Jim O'Neill is, maybe they're aiming for a revamp of the station's identity? Let's face it, the station hasn't been doing well for a number of years now. Dempsey is stagnating, Anton's show hasn't flourished, lunchtimes have gone backwards since Foley left, mid-afternoons have been struggling since Tony's departure, Last Word is steady but like Dempsey isn't building...

Change is scary, but if it works out, the boss'll be hailed as a hero.

'celebrate' is from 1990 ....;-)

'celebrate' is from 1990 ....;-)

Phil rang the writer during the week.

It was written in 1989. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe pushing out the oldies and freshening things up is what's needed?

I mean, as much as I love FN80's and FN90's, and as popular as Jim O'Neill is, maybe they're aiming for a revamp of the station's identity? Let's face it, the station hasn't been doing well for a number of years now. Dempsey is stagnating, Anton's show hasn't flourished, lunchtimes have gone backwards since Foley left, mid-afternoons have been struggling since Tony's departure, Last Word is steady but like Dempsey isn't building...

Change is scary, but if it works out, the boss'll be hailed as a hero.

Dempsey is solid, Cooper should bounce back next book...D&D I just don't know what they will do with them. I agree that Duffy had to be moved, horrible listenership in that slot but always enjoyed TodayFM on a Friday night if I was driving or just at home listening in! The worry I have is this new boss' only experience running a radio station was at 98FM...and look at the **** show that has been the last two years under his stewardship and schedule changes...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Bosley

I'd say the changes have been made by Martin Maguire and his assistant not the CEO.

even though it is Phil, it is strange hearing the new show and some new / different music being played (albeit in a temporary timeslot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pure ****e on tonight. I won't be going back to Friday Night Anthems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Instinctively put on TodayFm on the way home tonight. Very disappointed.

:(

What's bad about it? I flicked on when I was cooking dinner and he was playing an 80's song before my radio died.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What's bad about it? I flicked on when I was cooking dinner and he was playing an 80's song before my radio died.

Nelly singing that it's hot in here was the straw that broke the camels back.

lertsnim wrote: »

Oh... oh dear... that's... not an anthem to anyone is it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I switched off at that point as well.

Now it's feckin' Lucky by Daft Punk. One of the most overplayed songs of recent times. It's probably a step back from Friday Night 80s. It is the first show, a flavour of what's to come. But, Fridays on Today FM won't be the same again for a good while.

Not Phil's fault. Tuned in here and there...Is the show voicetracked?? No doubt when it moves to a later time it will be.

There are some current chart songs being played too !, which are way worse than Nelly which is 15 years old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What happened with Shauna and Eoin? That was a great show with a great rapport between the presenters. Great music too.

Were they shoved out or did they want to leave? Rarely listened live but I always downloaded the podcast and listened in work or when I was doing stuff in the shed or around the house. They'll be sorely missed

sonic85 wrote: »
    What happened with Shauna and Eoin? That was a great show with a great rapport between the presenters. Great music too.

Were they shoved out or did they want to leave? Rarely listened live but I always downloaded the podcast and listened in work or when I was doing stuff in the shed or around the house. They'll be sorely missed

Most likely they were moved aside for Friday Night Anthems. Muireann O'Connell is on now, so maybe she will be permanent in that slot? Yes, I miss Shauna and Eoin too, and they were a great duo. I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere again at some stage. But, at least they still have other roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Stopped listening to Today FM since DOB but I'd still listen to Fri night 80's, really enjoyed it. Heard this Anthems thing on the drive from cork today, switched it off after 15 mins. I'm out!

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Most likely they were moved aside for Friday Night Anthems. Muireann O'Connell is on now, so maybe she will be permanent in that slot? Yes, I miss Shauna and Eoin too, and they were a great duo. I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere again at some stage. But, at least they still have other roles.

What are the other roles that Shauna and Eoin have?

What are the other roles that Shauna and Eoin have?

I mean roles away from presenting. As far as I know, Shauna is a researcher on Ian Dempsey's show, but does other work in the station. Eoghan works in Joe.ie, and I think is a contributor to a couple of shows. I'm sure they do more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

South east radio started their own Friday night 80's tonight 8:30 to 11:00 presented by Jimmy Ryan, very good I must say.

Not Phil's fault.

Not suggesting that it is. However I will not be listening to it again unless I hear from people in a few weeks that it has improved.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I mean roles away from presenting. As far as I know, Shauna is a researcher on Ian Dempsey's show, but does other work in the station. Eoghan works in Joe.ie, and I think is a contributor to a couple of shows. I'm sure they do more than that.

Shauna was referred to as doing social media stuff for the station on NTN a long while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Listened to some of Friday Night Anthems this evening,one great song Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen,the rest ****.I changed to John Creedon show on RTE Radio 1,he had some guy totally unknown to me called Marc O'Reilly from Waterford on,his "music/singing"really lost me,total weird rubbish.I went from there to Midlands 103FM,a bit of diddly-aye and old time waltzing there.Pretty dire Friday night radio:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

RTE Gold tonight started an 80s show on Friday's between 8 and 10pm with Al Dunne presenting, if anyone wants any 80s music, Sounded good with no adds It is Called Al Dunne's 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont like this anthems thing-a-ma-gig,eighties or nothing.Have to wait for Oliver Carroll's "Totally Eighties" on Wlrfm from 6-8 Saturday nights I am afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Can't say ths I'll miss the show.

While I'm a big fan of 80s music, the choice of songs was too repetitive and from a limited number if artists.

I don't think that I ever heard a song where I went "wow, I totally forgot about that tune".

I watch the repeats of TOTP on BBC 4 and there was so much good interesting music happening back then.

Friday Night 80s was basically the biggest bands doing their biggest hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Change was long overdue but then they went and did something stupid and put something dull bland lazy and voice-traced on instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Bring back Friday Night 80s!!! What are you thinking of getting rid of it????

• Advertisement

And Friday Night 90s too while they're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Looks like Tim Kelly is back where he started or was with Friday Night 80's show on Nova - good move Radio Nova

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Radio Gold wrote: »
    RTE Gold tonight started an 80s show on Friday's between 8 and 10pm with Al Dunne presenting, if anyone wants any 80s music, Sounded good with no adds It is Called Al Dunne's 80s.

I was an enthusiastic listener to Friday Night 80's myself from the early years when I would be out in the car and heading away for a weekend break! In recent years, if I was at home doing things I might also tune in and although I used enjoy 80's music however; if I was to criticise it in any way it was because it was allowed to become too lazy and predictable in the overall choice selection playlist. You usually just got to hear the biggest hits which is fine but the odd "one hit wonder" (or forgotten gem) that rarely if ever gets air play anywhere else would have greatly added to the show. This may not have been all down to the DJs alone but it came across and the show was limping along for quite a while but maybe this was deliberate so that station management could bin it if they wanted to focus on a younger demographic to listen to Today FM in general. I also recall the various presenters on Today FM including Tim Kelly (and the Tim Kelly Building) and if I am not mistaken when Friday Night 80's used run from 7:00-11:00pm it once used to hand over to a late night live request show called "Late Night Love" with John Troy which was also quite popular in it's day. I think Breffni Clack took over from John Troy afterwards.

I was unaware of the recent changes until I tuned in last Friday and wondered what the hell is on Today FM as this is not Friday Night 80's and I am sad the show had been allowed to drift and then get dropped altogether back in July! Is there room for a show only dedicated to the 80's scene now on Today fm - probably not if they want to appeal to a younger audience as they won't want to end up with an older audience if it means not growing a younger demographic. They could manage to have one good show that plays Classic Hits/Golden Oldies somewhere in the schedule but it will be a mix of decades and the station is gonna probably focus on attracting younger listeners so; the station schedule has been adapted to reflect same given the retirement of Declan Meehan, Jim O'Neill etc;

I also tuned in to RTÉ Gold radio the other night via Saorview and I was pleasantly surprised by the tracks played and there was a presenter introducing tracks whether this was pre-recorded or live I'm not too sure. RTÉ Gold would have a bigger following if it was granted permission to exchange places with 2FM in my view. By this I mean, RTÉ Gold taking the 90-92mHZ FM frequency slot currently allocated to 2FM as the RTÉ Gold station would do much better with the older demographic who may want a break from speech/hard news programming normally scheduled on RTÉ Radio 1. 2FM is now aimed at younger listeners anyway and for those who still choose to listen (although many won't due to changing trends) will tend to be a younger demographic and if they really want to hear 2FM they can do so in various forms of digital devices whereas I'm not sure RTÉ Gold will ever reach it's max potential with the older demographic audience being restricted to DAB(not nationwide)/Online/Saorview TV only access which is a shame. I don't see 2FM having a bright future after so many revamp disasters and I think Today FM is getting anxious to avoid ending up in a similar place to 2FM by making radical changes now before it it too late.

If RTÉ Gold was allowed to going out loud and clear on FM, it think it would be great for older listeners across Ireland. I'm not sure 2FM would be hugely missed by it's audience today if it closed down as younger listeners have huge choice unlike older audiences enjoyed in the days of pirate radio stations/Radio Luxembourg etc;

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

I see they have said on twitter that RTE Gold will be on RTE Radio 1 at 2am till the. 5.30 am on Fm every night starting tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I think Today Fm should have done Friday night 90s from 7/10 followed by Nothing but Noughties from 10pm/1am

Have to say I really miss Shauna and Eoghan on Friday Night 90s. Used to love that show. Rarely listened live but always downloaded it and listened in work the next week.

Should never have gotten rid of it

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    Have to say I really miss Shauna and Eoghan on Friday Night 90s. Used to love that show. Rarely listened live but always downloaded it and listened in work the next week.

Should never have gotten rid of it

yeah it was a great show,really miss it myself

I think Today Fm should have done Friday night 90s from 7/10 followed by Nothing but Noughties from 10pm/1am

that would of been a good choice,but it seems today fm cant decide what they want now going foward

Advertisement