Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Pizza - Talbot Street

Options
  • 21-05-2016 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to this outlet ? What do you think.

I don't go often, but when i do, oh my god the food is so good. Also the value.

€5 for A 9" pizza, chips, drink, and a dip. I don't know how they make profit, of what must be very small margins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The margin on takeaway pizza at normal prices is eyewatering, up to 1000% - these are probably making closer to chipper margin (which is still acceptable).

A 9" margarita pizza uses a few cents of ingredients; even if you pick the dearest toppings possible it won't be a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

L1011 wrote: »
    The margin on takeaway pizza at normal prices is eyewatering, up to 1000% - these are probably making closer to chipper margin (which is still acceptable).

A 9" margarita pizza uses a few cents of ingredients; even if you pick the dearest toppings possible it won't be a euro.

Actually. Even when you factor in rates, rent, wages and utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The chips with the €5 deal are crap but the pizza is good stuff

Real greasy pizza though, ya wouldn't be long getting heartburn after it

Actually. Even when you factor in rates, rent, wages and utilities.

All of which other food service businesses have.

They aren't losing money or even close to on that deal - just taking an acceptable margin rather than an insane one.

Most dedicated pizza places have deals that halve or more the cost of pizzas - either BOGOF deals or bundles where the majority of the price is made up by the other products. Some also accept competitor coupons on a whim while nearly all have coupons of some kind too. This is all down to the huge margin being there. Its also why petrol stations and convenience stores with pizza ovens are able to do 3.99 pizzas of similar size/quality to a 14.99 branded one. They're still paying rates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

L1011 wrote: »
    All of which other food service businesses have.

They aren't losing money or even close to on that deal - just taking an acceptable margin rather than an insane one.

Most dedicated pizza places have deals that halve or more the cost of pizzas - either BOGOF deals or bundles where the majority of the price is made up by the other products. Some also accept competitor coupons on a whim while nearly all have coupons of some kind too. This is all down to the huge margin being there. Its also why petrol stations and convenience stores with pizza ovens are able to do 3.99 pizzas of similar size/quality to a 14.99 branded one. They're still paying rates etc.

You can assume the larger the company, the less likely they are to be paying corporation tax. They will also have cheaper access to capital ie your local restaurant might be paying 9% on a loan from a bank versus 1/2% from a bond that a massive petrol station can borrow with

There is a massive difference in costs between your local Spar doing the odd pizza at the deli counter versus your local Mizzonis. Your local Spar has a lower marginal cost from being open 24/7 generally versus 8-10 hours with a Pizzeria. It isn't paying for drivers, staff to take orders, etc. It will be likely to get additional sales from cigs, drinks, ice cream etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've actually been to this one, the pizza was quite tasty, chips we're average but expected no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

My reply is slightly off topic, but I'm assuming anyone interested in this thread is interested in decent pizza in the Talbot St. area. There's a place on the other side of the road called Il Capo, just under the railway bridge. Like most places along that stretch It looks like a total dump, but the pizza is seriously good. A (massive) slice of the 'Americana' pizza and a drink will only set you back €3.50. They do pizza by the slice (I think they have 4 varieties) and also make pizza to order. The chefs chat away in Italian there, so you know it's the real deal :) I have no commercial or family link to the place - I just love their pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Have to second Il Capo, it does the same deal for a fiver and has good pizza and decent chips. Very nice staff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sounds good :) Any other places that do a similar deal? I'm in Smithfield so preferebly a bit closer.

AlanG wrote: »
    Have to second Il Capo, it does the same deal for a fiver and has good pizza and decent chips. Very nice staff.

They are quality as well. I haven't been there in nearly a year.

The only issue is the size of the premises. You can't move in side it, and you rarely get a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Star pizza is packed from the moment they lift the shutters until closing time. They must be doing something right.

Star pizza is packed from the moment they lift the shutters until closing time. They must be doing something right.

But you usually get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

But you usually get a seat.

Not always, especially if you have a few mates in tow and want to sit beside them. I must try the place across the road, as I get the 101 bus outside it most nights. From the outside it looks like one of those tacky pizza by the slice places that are peppered all over amsterdam catering for dope smokers mainly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ended up going to Star Pizza yesterday. The pizza was great and the price was also great! I thought the chips were pretty good too.

I was by myself and it was easy to get a seat but it would have been difficult if I were with a few friends and wanted to sit beside each other.
    Not always, especially if you have a few mates in tow and want to sit beside them. I must try the place across the road, as I get the 101 bus outside it most nights. From the outside it looks like one of those tacky pizza by the slice places that are peppered all over amsterdam catering for dope smokers mainly.
    Il Capo is closed until the 2nd of June.

I go with my mates (not that often) and the 3 of us always get a seat.

il capo is really nice as well.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You can assume the larger the company, the less likely they are to be paying corporation tax. They will also have cheaper access to capital ie your local restaurant might be paying 9% on a loan from a bank versus 1/2% from a bond that a massive petrol station can borrow with

There is a massive difference in costs between your local Spar doing the odd pizza at the deli counter versus your local Mizzonis. Your local Spar has a lower marginal cost from being open 24/7 generally versus 8-10 hours with a Pizzeria. It isn't paying for drivers, staff to take orders, etc. It will be likely to get additional sales from cigs, drinks, ice cream etc

Petrol stations and convenience stores are usually single-unit operator franchises, not large companies - just as brande dpizza places are. Tax does not come in to the calculation here.

Their unit costs to make each pizza are higher due to lower volume; the capital cost element also higher for the same reason. The only cost pizza places have that does not realistically have an equivalent is the constant marketing. Drivers are paid by the delivery charge.

They're cheaper because they don't take an obscene margin; that is all. I think people are just unwilling to accept how obscene those margins are, trying to generate excuses for it.

Advertisement