Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Star node operation in Southern Ireland

• 21-05-2016 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a licensed amateur here in Wicklow (EI2HWB) and it is impossible to connect to a D-Star repeater or node from where I am. I have recently purchased a DadyStar node by ON8JL and I am interested in setting it up to provide some access to D-Star from here for myself and other local amateurs. I am unfamiliar with the licensing, however I am being lead to believe that this is not a simple setup and I would need to obtain the license through a club to operate the node.

I know this is a new mode for Southern Ireland and therefore the licensing may not have caught up with some other countries yet. Can anyone tell me if they have experience of the process or if there are any other options to the club route? My nearest club is in Gorey/Wexford and therefore getting to the club after work would be a real push, so this isn't a real option at the moment.

If anyone can advise or assist I would be grateful

Thanks Andy EI2HWB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a licensed amateur here in Wicklow (EI2HWB) and it is impossible to connect to a D-Star repeater or node from where I am. I have recently purchased a DadyStar node by ON8JL and I am interested in setting it up to provide some access to D-Star from here for myself and other local amateurs. I am unfamiliar with the licensing, however I am being lead to believe that this is not a simple setup and I would need to obtain the license through a club to operate the node.

I know this is a new mode for Southern Ireland and therefore the licensing may not have caught up with some other countries yet. Can anyone tell me if they have experience of the process or if there are any other options to the club route? My nearest club is in Gorey/Wexford and therefore getting to the club after work would be a real push, so this isn't a real option at the moment.

If anyone can advise or assist I would be grateful

Thanks Andy EI2HWB

If it's a hotspot with low power and you don't run it 24/7 unattended you can just use it under the normal licence. I know other amateurs who do so in Ireland. I have a multi protocol (DMR/D-Star/C4FM) hotspot myself. Though I only have DMR and D-Star radios. There's several subbands in the 70cm band plan for IARU Region 1 specifically for Digital Voice so I'm pretty sure it's OK to use it there. I use it to join the reflectors. Though it feels a bit 'non radio' it's the only way to do that here.

Of course for unattended repeater mode you'll need the permission from comreg. I don't think you need to be involved with a local radio club but it would probably help. Here's the application form: link

It's indeed too bad there is no infrastructure in Ireland, the only place I know of for DMR and D-Star is the north where they have real repeaters. In the republic there's 2 C4FM repeaters being set up (Limerick's already active) but they don't have internet linking as far as I know. I hope your application is successful! Though I'm not close enough to Wicklow to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

If it's a hotspot with low power and you don't run it 24/7 unattended you can just use it under the normal licence. I know other amateurs who do so in Ireland. I have a multi protocol (DMR/D-Star/C4FM) hotspot myself. Though I only have DMR and D-Star radios. There's several subbands in the 70cm band plan for IARU Region 1 specifically for Digital Voice so I'm pretty sure it's OK to use it there. I use it to join the reflectors. Though it feels a bit 'non radio' it's the only way to do that here.

Of course for unattended repeater mode you'll need the permission from comreg. I don't think you need to be involved with a local radio club but it would probably help. Here's the application form: link

It's indeed too bad there is no infrastructure in Ireland, the only place I know of for DMR and D-Star is the north where they have real repeaters. In the republic there's 2 C4FM repeaters being set up (Limerick's already active) but they don't have internet linking as far as I know. I hope your application is successful! Though I'm not close enough to Wicklow to use it.

Cheers for the tips, just a thought though... if the DadyStar is functioning only when attended as a node and it is capable of other amateurs connecting through it what suffix would I use with my callor. I am guessing that if I was the only person using the node I could probably get away with EI2HWB/C for a 70cm node. I really am a newbie with this.

I have used a DVAP to access the reflectors and the idea of the node was to open up the rest of DStar. Now I am not too sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Cheers for the tips, just a thought though... if the DadyStar is functioning only when attended as a node and it is capable of other amateurs connecting through it what suffix would I use with my callor. I am guessing that if I was the only person using the node I could probably get away with EI2HWB/C for a 70cm node. I really am a newbie with this.

I have used a DVAP to access the reflectors and the idea of the node was to open up the rest of DStar. Now I am not too sure!!

I think it would be best to apply for a gateway license if others can access it. I think the fee is 100 euros. You can do it yourself - no need for a club to do it. There is nothing special about dstar - it would be treated like an echolink node for licencing purposes.

thelordgod wrote: »
    I think it would be best to apply for a gateway license if others can access it. I think the fee is 100 euros. You can do it yourself - no need for a club to do it. There is nothing special about dstar - it would be treated like an echolink node for licencing purposes.

Many thanks for the tip, I must investigate that as an option. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Also have a read of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057570130

Gerry has now got a license for a Yaesu Fusion gateway which is broadly the same as what you are seeking to do (albeit a different standard).

• Advertisement

Also have a read of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057570130

Gerry has now got a license for a Yaesu Fusion gateway which is broadly the same as what you are seeking to do (albeit a different standard).

Cheers, I have popped a post on that thread to try and understand the press that Gerry followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yes good point, I overlooked the part of other amateurs using it. I was referring to private hotspots only. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ardnaras

Hi I use a PI2b with DVmega and shield The software is here

w6kd.boards.net/thread/2/dstar-commander-public-release-download

and the Shield for the dvmega is here .dvmega.auria.nl/

It is in euro and cheaper than the UK prices for same.. You will also need a DSTAR
    radio and internet link.. i have it up on the pi2b for over year without any problems
    and earwig on Ic

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am not sure where you are located in Wicklow, the IRTS has you address as withheld, but if you want access to a high site, it might be possible to arrange something, PM me. For proper repeaters, you need a club to apply, but some "clubs" are in name only.

I am not a massive d-star fan, not because I am anti-digital, more than it is not compatible with many of the open standards out there, and so I would prefer to work on open systems. Definitely Wicklow could do with more coverage, particularly interlinked repeaters.

Advertisement