Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring a car from a private individual in Ireland : possible?

• 21-05-2016 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Good morning,

I hope I have posted in the correct section : we used to be insured on our daughter's car when we came over to Ireland but now the insurance company will not insure us because we are no longer resident in Ireland. (we live in France).

In France, you can hire cars from private individuals (for ex. Drivy) and the car is insured via the "platform" company (again, for ex. Drivy)

Does anybody know if there is such a system in Ireland ?

I don't suppose anybody knows a company in Ireland or outside who will insure us to drive our daughter's car when we are in Ireland ? I had thought of something to do with Lloyds but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dominique

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't believe so, but I'll move this to Motors where more knowledge might be found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you were previously named on your daughters policy but since you moved away they won't allow that any more?

You have two alternatives; start shopping around for a company that will allow it and get daughter to switch insurer, or hire a car while here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most private insurance policies here will only cover the policy holder for personal and domestic use which would not cover hiring their car out to others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are you actually hiring the car? If you are merely borrowing it with no payment, then your daughter should be able to put you on as a temporary driver for the duration of your visit. However, if you are paying money then that moves it to a different realm.

Also, is there an age issue? - as a lot of companies put a maximum age where this can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My daughter is in the US and came back recently for a visit. Co-incidentally I had to renew my car insurance at the same time. I mentioned adding her onto my insurance temporarily - which we have done before, though it is quite expensive, and the broker suggested I just make her a named driver, so I did and she had a month of insurance for €30, and will be able to use the car when she comes back again later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

AIf you are merely borrowing it with no payment, then your daughter should be able to put you on as a temporary driver for the duration of your visit.
    In the OP he said the insurance company wouldn't.

He wasn't hiring from the daughter, the hiring was the next step.

Due to the way compulsory minimum insurance works in ireland, I don't think peer to peer hiring is possible.
    In australia, its becoming pretty common, as it the car that is insured, not the driver. You just find a card near by via website or app, get an unlock code and away you go. Paying an hourly rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

GoCar offer that service in Dublin. Added bonus is you get free parking in the city as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Surely an Open Driving policy is the way forward for visitors that come for a couple of weeks a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Thanks everybody for the replies, which I did not realize were sitting in an email account I rarely use.

re : My daughter is in the US and came back recently for a visit. Co-incidentally I had to renew my car insurance at the same time. I mentioned adding her onto my insurance temporarily -

Can you tell me which [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]insurance company you are with ? [/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have rented a car for the time being: found very good deals on this website : [/font]https://www.carigami.fr/cars/bm if it can be of any use to anybody else.

Dominique

Advertisement