Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing a ride on mower

Options
  • 21-05-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Even after reading many of the existing threads on this subject, I'm a bit unsure of what ride on to get. I've a budget of around €2250 and am currently looking at either:

1. Castlegarden xdc 140 manual geared for €2075 33" deck and with Briggs and Stratton engine

2. Alpina BT84 HCB Hydrostatic Tractor Mower for €2149 also with B&S engine

Both come with optional mulcher kit.

I'd appreciate any opinions on either of these mowers or brands. I believe they are both owned by the same company.

Also is the hydrostatic worth the extra? I've a 0.5 acre, flat lawn with no obstructions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

On a lawn that size hydrostatic is a nice to have rather than essential.

I find Castlegarden with the B&S a good mower and I have two.

You don't mention what engine is in the second, possibly some generic one that spares would be a worry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 butsy1981

The alpina has a briggs motor as well. Its the same size engine too.

Im leaning towards the castlegarden.

Though I did come across a secondhand husqvarna cth 174 for 2350 with only 30 hours on it. I was tempted as they have a good reputation but it has a kohler courage engine and Ive read some very bad reviews of this engine online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭blackbox

If your lawn is a simple rectangle, with no obstacles, that you can cut in straight lines then the manual gears should be fine.

However, if there are lots of beds or shrubs to circumnavigate where you need to be changing speed all the time, then go for the hydrostatic.

You can't really change speed using the throttle as you need constant rpm for mowing. The only way to change speed is through the gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 butsy1981

Thanks. In the end I bought the castlegarden xdc 140 hd. I decided the hydrostatic was worth the extra few hundred. Its due thursday. Hopefully it brings me years of trouble free mowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Good choice.
    Have a Castlegarden ride on here with the B&S engine and it's been great 12 years with only services and sharpen blades.
    The smaller self propelled Castlegarden I have is maybe 18 years old with same care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement